U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:17 AM

35,121 posts, read 39,987,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
I think that watching movies affects many of my decisions. I watch what people do, how they lie and cheat and it's making me cautious. I watch how some find happiness in small things and I gain a new perspective. I get inspired and/or depressed, depending on the movie/show.

Here is the MOST common theme that I saw in most shows/movies: mothers labor a lot for their kids, kids don't appreciate anything, grow up and leave their parents and don't really want to visit or have much to do with them afterwards. Mothers end up sacrificing too much for their kids for no return at the end. Mothers end up suffering even at the end, because they are missing their kids. So, after watching this stuff day in and day out, I decided to do things differently, to not put myself into a bad situation like that.

I am curious if anyone else was affected by watching movies as far as their decisions?

Um.....the only decision affected from me watching a movie is the size of the popcorn I wanted and the last movie I saw in an actual theater was the original Ice Age movie.

Get away from movies and television, they are SCRIPTS, people get paid to write that trash and they call it "entertainment". I would rather be entertained for free watching paint dry on the wall at home and I can fix as much popcorn as I want and not even have to get out of my jammies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 AM

115 posts, read 135,121 times
Meeting other people's children made me not want to have kids. Movies were not a significant influence.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,082,927 times
Even the most well scripted, acted, emotional movie cannot hold a candle to my experiences.

Yes, I can relate to movies and certain scenes, but they have never forced me into action or inaction. Even documentaries.

---

Culturally, movies do shape certain opinions and likely reinforce beliefs.

When I see a movie like Saving Private Ryan, it enforces the horror of war and the heroics of the men at that time.

If you were thinking about joining the army, it might make you want to join even more, if you're against joining, then it's probably not going to change your mind.

---

Movies aside, I think the greatest influence on behavior is your family and specifically, your parents; whether you know it or not.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:19 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,724,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Um.....the only decision affected from me watching a movie is the size of the popcorn I wanted and the last movie I saw in an actual theater was the original Ice Age movie.

Get away from movies and television, they are SCRIPTS, people get paid to write that trash and they call it "entertainment". I would rather be entertained for free watching paint dry on the wall at home and I can fix as much popcorn as I want and not even have to get out of my jammies.

You can be entertained by that? I think I would fall asleep.

Last edited by LoveWisdom; 08-06-2013 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 02:54 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,973,692 times
Quote:
I think that watching movies affects many of my decisions. I watch what people do, how they lie and cheat and it's making me cautious. I watch how some find happiness in small things and I gain a new perspective. I get inspired and/or depressed, depending on the movie/show.

Here is the MOST common theme that I saw in most shows/movies: mothers labor a lot for their kids, kids don't appreciate anything, grow up and leave their parents and don't really want to visit or have much to do with them afterwards. Mothers end up sacrificing too much for their kids for no return at the end. Mothers end up suffering even at the end, because they are missing their kids. So, after watching this stuff day in and day out, I decided to do things differently, to not put myself into a bad situation like that.

I am curious if anyone else was affected by watching movies as far as their decisions?
Movies are not real. No, I don't make important life decisions based on fiction.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:05 PM

5,532 posts, read 5,953,481 times
Quote:

Wow, I can only imagine if you watched TV shows as well, you would probably give up on life altogether...

Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,117,627 times
Movies have bits and pieces of real life situations and events (personalities), but they also have quite a bit of exaggeration, which can be but is rarely true to life.

Movies had nothing to do with my choice to have children or not.
I actually did not want any and ended up having three. I did not want kids because of what I saw happening in the world. Society and the environment slipping downhill, why would I want to bring more lives into a sinking ship?
But, at the same time having kids is a pretty neat experience, so my decision was not that absolute.

I wonder what really turned you off from having kids, which movie really solidified that decision?

As far as missing the kids, I miss mine, but so glad they are on thier own. I actually have one more year and then the baby girl flys away.
Every mom is different though. But while one thinks they will miss them greatly after 18 years minimum of parenting and that perspective changes.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:43 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,219,704 times
A better guide than movies as to how kids will treat their parents is to look at how the parents treat their parents. The established family values will usually be a better guide than the movies.

In others words if you treat your parents good, it is probable your kids will treat you good.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 08-14-2013, 03:05 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,324,356 times
I do not want children, but that's from my upbringing. Granted, there are movies I've seen to further reaffirm my decision. But they weren't the primary factor. I'm more influenced by existential movies. For example Kevin Spacey's character in American Beauty after quitting his horrid corporate job he says, "I want a job with the least amount of responsibility." Love that movie.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:22 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,768,083 times
Watching life is enough to make no one want children!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or