U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,727,382 times

Advertisements

Just a short idea I wanted to share.

I believe that people believe new ideas IF they have some sort of a link, a similarity to their old ideas. Ideas evolve overtime. So if the new idea did not have any links to your old ideas today, it may have some link tomorrow because your old idea may have evolved a little bit and became a bit more similar to the new idea.

When there are links, connections, similarities to the new ideas, they seem believable to people. When there is absolutely no link, no similarity, people have a hard time believing the new idea. UNLESS it comes from a trusted source (like a god for some people or maybe some very trusted scientist for others), then they can still believe it. But it's much harder to believe something that has no link to your old ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 02:04 PM

14,191 posts, read 9,045,464 times
Belief is a function of presenting evidence that's acceptable to the prospective believer.

Many people set the bar very low for acceptable evidence. The criteria many use are things like whether or not it sounds good to them, if it is approved by authority figures they submit to, if it's written down in very ancient books, believed by a lot of people, if it doesn't sound unfamiliar or strange (this last criteria speaks to your point, LoveWisdom). That which comforts you or makes the hairs on your neck stand up is not acceptable evidence.

Others need their religion to actually be true. This means it can't conflict with known facts, should be provable in some way, or at least application of the belief to one's life produces promised results. For such people, belief is not like a switch, where one "decides to believe" or "refuses to believe". They do or they don't, because they're convinced or not.

Most religions value the concept of belief without evidence (faith) and elevate it to a virtue rather than a vice. And/or, they confuse evidence with strident assertions. For those of use who look at actual evidence and follow it wherever it leads, much of what religion has to offer has little credibility and the sources are not very trustworthy.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:56 PM

10,476 posts, read 15,482,330 times
In my case, it was overwhelming feeling that what I found was RIGHT. No matter how strange or even ridiculous it may have appeared in some aspects. I read what I read, then I said - wow.... That was it. Don't need anything else thereafter.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,461,944 times
I don't believe in anything. Either I know something is a fact or I assign a probability to something being true.
Belief is unnecessary; It is a weakness; It is a hindrance.

Politicians like to start sentences with "I believe...." because it gives the impression that they are making a statement of fact but it allows them to say whatever they want with no commitment.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,101,589 times
Desire and fear are the two biggest motivators to belief. On a sheet of paper, place a hypothesis further toward the bottom according to how much you fear it might be true, and over toward the top of the page according to how much you want it to be true. Assuming that the amount of data that you have about each hypothesis is a constant, what you most strongly believe will be closest to the edges.

So, "Jesus loves you" will go at the very top of the page. "Your pet will get sick from eating Chinese dog food and the vet will charge $500 to pump its stomach" will go at the bottom edge. These are the two hypotheses that you most enduringly believe and nothing can persuade you otherwise. No presentation of evidence or logical argument will mitigate this burden of belief. The outcome of a sailboat race in New Zealand goes in the middle of the page.

In my case, I know from my own experience that the above is true, and I believe in things with a zeal proportional to how much I desire or fear them. Sometimes they are even contradictory. But at least I am aware of that, and reflect on my beliefs from that standpoint, which I believe is a step in the direction of enlightenment. By the way, it won't help a bit if you just harangue me about my beliefs (in this or any other forum) without presenting any evidence or logical analysis to counter them.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-23-2013 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
Just a short idea I wanted to share.

I believe that people believe new ideas IF they have some sort of a link, a similarity to their old ideas. Ideas evolve overtime. So if the new idea did not have any links to your old ideas today, it may have some link tomorrow because your old idea may have evolved a little bit and became a bit more similar to the new idea.

When there are links, connections, similarities to the new ideas, they seem believable to people. When there is absolutely no link, no similarity, people have a hard time believing the new idea. UNLESS it comes from a trusted source (like a god for some people or maybe some very trusted scientist for others), then they can still believe it. But it's much harder to believe something that has no link to your old ideas.

OP, you need to watch Idiocracy. THAT will give you a very good insight into your question.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 PM

Is it ever rational to believe something you have no evidence for?

Old 07-28-2013, 04:54 PM

354 posts, read 245,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom
I believe that people believe new ideas IF they have some sort of a link, a similarity to their old ideas. Ideas evolve overtime.
This seems to be a reasonable observation of human nature. You can extend this concept beyond the individual. Human ideology also evolves from one generation to the next. Some ideologies or so steeped in taboo and tradition, they can't easily be discussed openly.

Up until just recently, questioning god belief and religion was a taboo most people would not broach. The anonymous nature of the internet has allowed for old and hallowed ideologies to be discussed more frankly. This is changing the nature of what people believe much more quickly then at any time in human history. I see this as very positive, whereas there are many traditionalists who would find it alarming and dangerous.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 AM

10,506 posts, read 8,721,945 times
Observation of the consequences of one's beliefs, when translated into action, through experience? The belief that rocks are soft usually won't stand the test of being hit by a few!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy