U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,035,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Whether or not a mindspring happens is not the point. Religions can come and go. I'm not sure why you aren't able to think outside the USA box for just a second and imagine how stupid we must look to countries who are not predominantly christian and see that we use the equivalent of the easter bunny to them to record real events in real history.

I think any self respecting christian should agree that recording all of time around christ isn't required to maintain their faith like you suggest.

Also the switch would not be as serious as the metric conversion. We aren't talking about reshaping the week, day, minute, second, months or even years. Just moving the year zero point which most cases now is a easy conversion inside the computer (which in virtually all cases in the computer it is already converting from a different number to the gregorian calendar). The metric conversion requires a whole country's worth of containers, tools, industrial machines etc to either be scraped or reworked.
Here's the thing: I'm not suggesting that the faith be maintained. I'm suggesting that the way we count the years is completely arbitrary one way or the other. Referring to the latter 2013 years as "common era" rather than "Anno Domini" is, in my estimation, the reasonable remedy to appearing to base history on deference for the alleged equivalent of the easter bunny and, as a history teacher has astutely pointed out, I think it would be equally silly to have to re-learn the dates of significant historical events.

Also, you should probably be able to determine where I fall on the spectrum of faithfulness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,001,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTaTHEIST View Post
As a history teacher (pretty awesome I might add) what would you propose we base our annual dating method on?
At this point, the dating system is established. I can't see that we have anything to gain by changing it.

Any date would be arbitrary and would make use of "negative" dates. The 0 marker would have to be centered around a major event of world-changing significance. Even though I'm not Christian, I can see that we already have that.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:14 PM

12,423 posts, read 7,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I think it would be equally silly to have to re-learn the dates of significant historical events.
This would be the biggest problem. Americans are already thought of as dumb for not knowing when significant events happened. If we were to change what year everything happened, I can't see many adults bothering to re learn when "Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue" or when the pyramids were built. These dates are already engrained into our minds, why change it? Because someone things that are current calendar means that Christians rule the world?!

Old 08-10-2013, 04:49 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,101,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
This would be the biggest problem. Americans are already thought of as dumb for not knowing when significant events happened. If we were to change what year everything happened, I can't see many adults bothering to re learn when "Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue" or when the pyramids were built. These dates are already engrained into our minds, why change it? Because someone things that are current calendar means that Christians rule the world?!
Knowing the dates doesn't even help, ir people don't think of them in relation to each other. How many people know that Galileo was sent to prison by the inquisitors for his heresy, 13 yeara AFTER the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, on the other side of a round planet?

Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,256,286 times
Quote:
the whole world basis's their time off of a man's birth year who could possibly never have existed?
The whole world with the exception of all Asian countries, all Muslim countries and most of the undeveloped parts of south america. Sooooo really like......30% of the worlds population.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:58 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,256,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Americans are already thought of as dumb
We're not dumb just utterly and completely self absorbed and are just so sure that the world revolves entirely around us.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,035,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
The whole world with the exception of all Asian countries, all Muslim countries and most of the undeveloped parts of south america. Sooooo really like......30% of the worlds population.
30% may be a little dubious. The Gregorian Calendar with the Common Era dating system is the predominant calendar of the world and is the standard for the United Nations. Japan uses it as well.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:15 PM

77 posts, read 153,281 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever thought about, of all the amazing things, the whole world basis's their time off of a man's birth year who could possibly never have existed?

I see this as a mass hysteria bigger than the scale of thinking the world is flat. Is there nothing this species can do to break out of it's backwards mind track?
HAHA, YES! ive wondered how their calenders looked in say, 15 bc, was the next one 14 bc so forth? haha. i have wondered that..i stumpted by bible thumping father ( when hes wrong and has no valid point, he shoves the bible down my throat.lol. stumpted him with this and dinasours.)

Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 PM

354 posts, read 245,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh
Is there nothing this species can do to break out of it's backwards mind track?
Probably not. We are so bound by our cultural and social memes I fear we're a doomed species. We are just smart enough to be truly dangerous to ourselves and our planet. For Jeebus' sake we're not even smart enough to control the size of our own population. It seems we're mostly not intelligent enough to understand even this simple concept.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM

354 posts, read 245,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
At this point, the dating system is established. I can't see that we have anything to gain by changing it.
Actually, if someone came out and said we're switching our dating method to something demonstrable and we actually did it, it probably would change a great deal (one could argue whether that outcome would be positive or negative).

Quote:
Any date would be arbitrary and would make use of "negative" dates.
True, but we could certainly pick a much less arbitrary marker, or we could pick a completely arbitrary maker NOT based on a certain religion that would be more inclusive. We could set the 0 marker at the "big bang", then we for all intents and purposes we would not need negative dates

Quote:
The 0 marker would have to be centered around a major event of world-changing
significance. Even though I'm not Christian, I can see that we already have
that.
Yes, one could certainly argue the birth of Christianity was very significant. However, we don't base the date on the birth of Christianity (the religion), we base the date on what's almost certainly the birth of the legend Christianity is based on.

Edit: Religion seems to be slowly dying out. What if say 200 years from now Christianity was barely a blip on humanity's radar. Would you then agree it's time to change the dating method? Perhaps we'd want to keep around just to remind us of what NOT to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or