U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: minnimum height for males to be "accepted"
5'6 19 32.76%
5'7 5 8.62%
5'8 7 12.07%
5'9 8 13.79%
5'10 10 17.24%
5'11 2 3.45%
6 7 12.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,809,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medi View Post
Depends on what society you live in and what social circle you socialize in. Seems to me like you associate with a lot of shallow people and work with the same. Personally, I couldn't care what height you are. I have friends that range from like 4'8 to 6'5 and I don't think anyone who behaves differently towards you due to height should be allowed any space in your brain.

My advice, if it really bothers you and you can't get away from a bunch of women and guys who judge you on height, is go for women your own height. But my best advice is find a circle that doesn't give a rat's ass about something so irrelevant. You find that the more you hang out with shallow people who judge on things like that, the more you begin to think the whole world does the same, and doubt yourself. Find a bunch of people that don't care about height, creed, color, status, penis size, hair color, eye color, breast size, financial status or power and you'll find all those things fading into the back of your mind; then you'll begin to see that the people who care about those traits are imprisoned and ignorant.

The popularity of a physical trait is bolstered by those who buy into the fact that it's popular. At one time it was considered desirable to have a very small penis. In some societies a lack of height is considered more refined and less vulgar than to be very tall. In today's America arrogance and cockiness is granted a sense of sexual appeal, yet in somewhere like the middle east it would be considered rude and very unappealing to the (plethora) of attractive, and humble, women who live there.

Once you box yourself in with what's popular and begin to associate society's consensus with indisputable fact, that's when you already defeat yourself. You shouldn't be on here asking 'what's an acceptable height', you should be, in the back of your head, telling everyone you don't particularly care what's popular. That's why I make a point of NOT going for the barbies among women. I genuinely can say that I don't have a 'type'. If she's interesting to me then she's interesting to me, regardless of her height, breast size, eye color, hair color or whatever else. I've been with a tall beautiful blonde, a short tomboy brunette, a buxom woman with jet black hair, a slender receptionist, a gorgeous girl who works in a shop. I find myself attracted to pink haired women, tattoos or without, piercings or not. All heights, all shapes, all eye colors, all hair colours, all career types. I genuinely don't consider height and looks so much as I do personality. I'm pretty easy to please on the physical side of things.

In fact, the most unattractive woman I ever went on a date with was physically gorgeous and obviously thought herself refined, but a complete princess that never shut up about the physical traits of people, about the material things of the world. I found her both exhausting and completely shallow. And simply because I didn't respond with a fake smile of agreement at her psychopathic assessments of the world, nor answer with some face-value statement, she actually said I was 'weird'. And lo and behold she's now with a man who is a fitness trainer with the personality of a brick. They go fantastically together.

My point is, you'll always find that type, and they'll always make you feel inadequate, but I find them to be very unattractive people and make effort not to associate with them. You should do the same.
my advice to you, is to read what i wrote on my first post. i already stated that my height doesnt bother me, as i live only once. I just want to see what other people think, im not here to be lectured about my insecurities, which i dont have about my height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 AM

50 posts, read 72,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
my advice to you, is to read what i wrote on my first post. i already stated that my height doesnt bother me, as i live only once. I just want to see what other people think, im not here to be lectured about my insecurities, which i dont have about my height.
You're here to see what others think, and that's what i think. If you didn't care about your height and about the consensus for what's acceptable in that department, why would you be on here asking what is a general height that is acceptable?

To answer your question, I think any height is acceptable to be loved, promoted or become succssful because as a human being, we each have the ability to either set or demolish our own benchmarks and expectations on ourselves.

I personally, wouldn't judge your worth based on your height. Therefore you have every opportunity with me that a taller person would. That's not to say that others won't class you as unacceptable. But it's up to you whether or not you play into that game.

I can't speak for everyone, so it's hard to answer your question in the context you ask it but as an individual I think any height is acceptable. As far as women go, again. It's going to depend on the woman. Some people find very tall people intimidating or unattractive. In a society where small people are more prevalent, short stature will be more desirable. There's no black and white answer.

Last edited by Medi; 07-31-2013 at 09:43 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 06:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,809,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medi View Post
You're here to see what others think, and that's what i think. If you didn't care about your height and about the consensus for what's acceptable in that department, why would you be on here asking what is a general height that is acceptable?
well this is a "philosophy" forum, and you do have the freedom to choose to vote, answer my poll, etc. what I think of an acceptable height in general might be different than yours, but you dont need to vote if you dont want to.

I just watched a video on "heightism", where a 5'4 guy did an experiment walking in manhattan and being bumped by a bunch of people, vs a 6'4 guy walking and not getting bumped. also int he video there was a 19 yr old male teen getting a height increase surgery since he was 4'11 or something, and he only gained 2 inches, but seeing him cry through the pain is mind blowing, only to know that even if he gained 12 inches in surgery and become 5'11, had a wife and then had kids, his son would be around his "real" short height because of his DNA, and the problem repeats itself.

anyways watching that video, it seems like some of the folks are very insecure about themselves, on top of them being short. for me being 5'6 and male, I never felt what those folks felt, its like wow, being short sucks but man you only get to live once. and yes, i have gotten many girls in the past, had some pretty cool friends, so height doesnt bother me.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 PM

338 posts, read 763,797 times
I'd say 5'9 is the cutoff for heightism. Even then you may be subject to some

Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,085,887 times
I'm 5' 9 1/2 and for a lot of my early life I wanted to be taller.

Now that I'm married, I don't care...at all.

And in reality in a lot of places I'm average or above average height.

--

On the flip side anyone above 6'2 - 6'3 looks freak-ish. Once you start getting into basketball player territory, the proportions get all wonky, suits don't fit, and you have to duck under doorways.

I have a theory that Point Guards probably get all of the girls, because they are closer to an average height.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:33 PM

9,763 posts, read 13,307,777 times
My dad is 5'6 and is a respected academic who went to Yale and Harvard, decorated veteran who served in combat, and has been married a woman who's 5'9 for 33 years.

My best friend is 6'8, and one night when we were out at a bar and got on the topic of height, I mentioned my dad's height. "What? No he's not," my friend said. He insisted that my dad was taller than my mom, and had to be at least 5'10. This is basically how everyone perceives my dad, because he holds himself well, is well-spoken, charismatic, and commands your attention.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,288,848 times
Being taller (as a male) is known to confer advantages in dating and the job market. Exactly how tall you have to be is a matter of where you are. At 5'9", I'm considered "short" in Northern Minnesota, though not abnormally short - most men are from 5'10 to 6'2. On the other hand, when I go to Mexico, I'm on the higher side of average. I'm sure the same would be true if I visited East L.A.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,724,825 times
Height gives a man a sense of authority (in my personal view).

For dating, for me personally, it has to be at least 5.10, but then I am tall, so that's probably why. I just need someone taller than me.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:35 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,252,970 times
I think it depends somewhat on what race you are. If you're hispanic then it's more likely that most of your friends and relatives(obviously) are going to be hispanic in which case 5'9" is a good height. On the other hand if you are white or african american then it's likely that you'll be socializing with more whites and african americans respectively, therefor 6' is going to be more the norm amongst your friends.

I'm white, 5'11" and am a tad on the short side among my white friends but taller then my hispanic friends.

Honestly though, as others have pointed out, intelligence, attitude, confidence and demeanor/temperament are the dominant factors that will determine both your social success and as well as your success in the work place. Intelligence and attitude are the two most important ones in the work place IMO.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 PM

50 posts, read 72,905 times
Indeed, it is a philosophy forum. And I don't take height to mean anything, philosophically. For me, people of all heights both intrigue me and get my attention. Walking down the street in a crowded place, if I knock someone shorter it's cause I don't see them. I'm 6'1''.

If a woman said to me 'you're too tall', I wouldn't date her. To me that's an idiotic and stupid thing to say. How can I be 'too' tall? Too tall for what? Her to look up at?

I could easily say 'no, you're too short'.

And the same applies vice versa. It's a pointless thing to judge on height. Women and men judge on height because westerners, spiritually, are blatantly void, imo. To say 'you arent the right physical measurement' is like saying 'you were born wrong'.

It cannot ever be the truth, about anyone I value people more than that for it to be something I even think about beyond noticing how pointless it is.

If you desire and CARE what 'heightists' think then you're under their thumb and a pawn in their game. 'I dont like heightism, but what height do you think is okay?' is a self-defeating thing to think.

Do you really care about the opinions of people who judge you that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or