Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: minnimum height for males to be "accepted"
5'6 19 32.20%
5'7 5 8.47%
5'8 7 11.86%
5'9 9 15.25%
5'10 10 16.95%
5'11 2 3.39%
6 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:05 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,197 times

Advertisements

such as getting women, having an easier time finding a job/moving up in the company, and playing sports with other men.

I'm not here to compare, but I believe in american society a person has to be at lease 5'10 to be "normal". I'm 5'6 but i want to see what others think. I had my fair shares of heightism, but it doesnt bother me, I live only once, I might as well enjoy my life.

and please dont turn this to an attack thread on me. if you have your opinions, thats great. there are successful male supervisors that i worked for who are 5'3, height does help a person move up in a company, but its to a point, sometimes out of nowhere a person can be super sharp and just defy all odds.
i also know some 5'5 men that can get any women they want. this is just a more "in general" in of topic. I know the average height of males in america (all races combined) is 5'9, but i want to see what the general population think.

cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
I think it's 5'6". But more important is your attitude. Don't let your height define you. I speak with experience as I'm 6'6" and I never think about my height unless someone brings it up, which happens a lot. Your height is what you were born with so you have to come to terms with it and move on.

I was surprised to find on a previous "height" thread about how many women wouldn't consider dating a man of my height....but you know what, once they get to know you, it becomes a non-issue. That's my view.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:01 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think it's 5'6". But more important is your attitude. Don't let your height define you. I speak with experience as I'm 6'6" and I never think about my height unless someone brings it up, which happens a lot. Your height is what you were born with so you have to come to terms with it and move on.

I was surprised to find on a previous "height" thread about how many women wouldn't consider dating a man of my height....but you know what, once they get to know you, it becomes a non-issue. That's my view.
oh do you have the link? i would imagine the cutoff would be 6'3, and anything over that is too tall.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
It's more about people skills than height, although shorter men will have more challenges coming across as a confident guy.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

This is really an excellent post. And there are so many other attributes involved in any kind of selection whether it be on the job, dating, etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/bodymeas.htm

I don't think there is a "too short" or a "too tall" unless you are talking about physical restrictions, like rides at Disney World or driving a tiny car when you are tall.

And, really, once you get to know someone and especially if you care about them, all of those unimportant details like height, weight, physical beauty or not, etc. disappear, well, except for the people who are shallow and who wants them around anyway. Not me!

Also, we have moved all around the country and we have an adult son with DS who is 5'4" and I have noticed many men that were around his height. This has a lot of do with genetics and the location from which one's ancestors came from.

Acceptable height?

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 07-25-2013 at 07:18 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 PM

50 posts, read 82,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
such as getting women, having an easier time finding a job/moving up in the company, and playing sports with other men.

I'm not here to compare, but I believe in american society a person has to be at lease 5'10 to be "normal". I'm 5'6 but i want to see what others think. I had my fair shares of heightism, but it doesnt bother me, I live only once, I might as well enjoy my life.

and please dont turn this to an attack thread on me. if you have your opinions, thats great. there are successful male supervisors that i worked for who are 5'3, height does help a person move up in a company, but its to a point, sometimes out of nowhere a person can be super sharp and just defy all odds.
i also know some 5'5 men that can get any women they want. this is just a more "in general" in of topic. I know the average height of males in america (all races combined) is 5'9, but i want to see what the general population think.

cheers
Depends on what society you live in and what social circle you socialize in. Seems to me like you associate with a lot of shallow people and work with the same. Personally, I couldn't care what height you are. I have friends that range from like 4'8 to 6'5 and I don't think anyone who behaves differently towards you due to height should be allowed any space in your brain.

My advice, if it really bothers you and you can't get away from a bunch of women and guys who judge you on height, is go for women your own height. But my best advice is find a circle that doesn't give a rat's ass about something so irrelevant. You find that the more you hang out with shallow people who judge on things like that, the more you begin to think the whole world does the same, and doubt yourself. Find a bunch of people that don't care about height, creed, color, status, penis size, hair color, eye color, breast size, financial status or power and you'll find all those things fading into the back of your mind; then you'll begin to see that the people who care about those traits are imprisoned and ignorant.

The popularity of a physical trait is bolstered by those who buy into the fact that it's popular. At one time it was considered desirable to have a very small penis. In some societies a lack of height is considered more refined and less vulgar than to be very tall. In today's America arrogance and cockiness is granted a sense of sexual appeal, yet in somewhere like the middle east it would be considered rude and very unappealing to the (plethora) of attractive, and humble, women who live there.

Once you box yourself in with what's popular and begin to associate society's consensus with indisputable fact, that's when you already defeat yourself. You shouldn't be on here asking 'what's an acceptable height', you should be, in the back of your head, telling everyone you don't particularly care what's popular. That's why I make a point of NOT going for the barbies among women. I genuinely can say that I don't have a 'type'. If she's interesting to me then she's interesting to me, regardless of her height, breast size, eye color, hair color or whatever else. I've been with a tall beautiful blonde, a short tomboy brunette, a buxom woman with jet black hair, a slender receptionist, a gorgeous girl who works in a shop. I find myself attracted to pink haired women, tattoos or without, piercings or not. All heights, all shapes, all eye colors, all hair colours, all career types. I genuinely don't consider height and looks so much as I do personality. I'm pretty easy to please on the physical side of things.

In fact, the most unattractive woman I ever went on a date with was physically gorgeous and obviously thought herself refined, but a complete princess that never shut up about the physical traits of people, about the material things of the world. I found her both exhausting and completely shallow. And simply because I didn't respond with a fake smile of agreement at her psychopathic assessments of the world, nor answer with some face-value statement, she actually said I was 'weird'. And lo and behold she's now with a man who is a fitness trainer with the personality of a brick. They go fantastically together.

My point is, you'll always find that type, and they'll always make you feel inadequate, but I find them to be very unattractive people and make effort not to associate with them. You should do the same.

Last edited by Medi; 07-25-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 12:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post

cheers
It's not the minimum height. It is the size of his wallet or other amenities that make him accepted, like power he is carrying, or connections he has, or fame, etc.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:37 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,421 times
8'0. Therefore, no male shall be accepted.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:24 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
Women vary in height as well. If the woman is 5'0", she will view the relative height of a man very differently than would a woman of 5'10". Over 6'3" too tall? Preposterous.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,004 times
According to officials, it is 5'8".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy