U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:35 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,813,945 times

Advertisements

Just had an idea. Try the "Caretakers Gazette" online. It requires a subscription, but it's a listing of caretaker jobs all over the country and world.

Some provide a house and you have to watch the property, but you'll need an outside job. Others provide a house and salary. It's hard to describe the various opportunities because they're all over the map.

Another idea is to look at companies that provide domestic staff for wealthy people. Don't let that throw you. Most of those jobs require a specific skill or skills and pay very high wages. You can find some of them online also. They might even be able to direct you toward training. Usually they provide a place to live too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 10:41 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,685,933 times
Before you start thinking about dancing in a club, you should probably go to one, during prime hours, and see if it's something you'd be ok with. What you think you know, may not be entirely accurate. If you decide to do it, it's only "wrong" if you think it's wrong. Some women are only willing to dance. Others are willing to do more. The choice is yours. However, be warned that quite a few women get into dancing for similar reasons and don't have a drug problem going in. Since they sometimes make really good money, dancing for a few hours, it's harder for them to leave, especially if it's for a $10 an hour job, working 8 hours a day. The drugs may relieve the stress of having to dance.

To me, stripping and prostitution are last ditch efforts, and if it meant my family won't starve to death, morals be damned. But, are you really at that point? What type of work have you done in the past? Do you have any skills? Have you been looking for other jobs? Can you get some form of assistance. like welfare? Can you let a few bills be late, to make sure you have enough food? If you have a house, can you rent a room?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,987,519 times
You are already having issues regarding this so I would suggest you not get into it, especially if you are a parent who is going to divorce and seek full custody of your child.

Personally I see nothing wrong with it if that is your choice however, there are many other options and programs that can help you.

Start with a woman's shelter or the domestic abuse hotline and take each step one at a time.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:49 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,444,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHvaris View Post
I have a question and I wasn't sure where to post it. But it may fit this category!! Is it wrong for a mother to sacrifice her morals when it comes to exotic dancing. I am at a tough spot right now finically. I have never before been inside a strip club let alone danced in one because I don't agree with it! But right now the way things are that seems like my only legal option out of the bind I am in. I do not have a drug problem. I ended up in this situation because I finally got a restraining order on my Ex after dealing with abuse for two of the three years I have known him. Now I am left with all the bills and no food because he took our money that we have saved for the rent telling me he's entitled to it! I am lucky I got the house! Please help. I am fighting with myself on this one. It would be nice to hear honesty opinions!! Thank you for taking time to read this!!!
What exactly is your situation like?

How many children do you have?
How old are they?
Do you have full custody of them?
Do any of you have any medical conditions?
How much money do you need to survive per month? (food, bills, rent)
How much is your rent? Would it be possible for you to move into a really cheap $400/month apartment?
Are there any expenses you can cut?
What is your education level?
How have you been financially supporting yourself until now?
Do you have family you can lean on?

Have you considered phone sex or selling fetish items (used socks, shoes, panties)? You can make very good money doing this, it's very safe and you can be completely anonymous.

American stripclubs are horrible places, except maybe Portland stripclubs.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:36 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,669,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
American stripclubs are horrible places, except maybe Portland stripclubs.
That's a curious statement. Have you been to every strip club in the US and what makes Portland strip clubs good? Just curious.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:25 AM

11,628 posts, read 7,195,062 times
Same sentiments as others...a Mom is willing to sacrifice anything and everything, including her own dignity, to provide for her kids...that is RIGHT.

But...

Putting your safety possibly at risk if there is no family you trust to step in and raise your kids...WRONG.

If this ex is abusive...I don't know how to say this tactfully...I have seen many ladies, often the sweetest and most wonderful people...who have patterns of abusive relationships. In other words, if you've had one, it's very possible another could happen, and you need to guard yourself and your kids from that. You need to be aware, and super careful, what sort of men you date and let into your life. And the kind of men you could end up meeting while working in a strip club are not going to be the ones who respect women. If I were your sister, your Mom or your friend, I would worry about you putting yourself in the path of another man who would treat you badly. That would be WRONG.

And if it is going to hurt your self esteem to do this because you think it's morally wrong deep in your heart, as you seem to do, then that is also WRONG. It's hard to be a good Mom when you hate yourself. And again, the lower your self esteem, the more you have "victim" written on your forehead.

Don't get me wrong, I've known some strippers who were happy and enjoyed their jobs and made great money. But they were really strong women, not in a position of vulnerability. I don't think just anyone can/should do this. (I wouldn't, but only because I'm really clumsy! lol)

Please do your very best to find another way to provide for the kids, seek help if you can, look into going to some kind of school (did you know you can get financial assistance and loans that will actually give you more money than it costs to go to college and you can pay the bills with the extra?) Just...try and find another way. Never give up...the bad times will pass. Best wishes!!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
That's a curious statement. Have you been to every strip club in the US and what makes Portland strip clubs good? Just curious.
I haven't.

I know many sex workers, mainly online, and most of the American strippers have spoken negatively of American stripclubs. The "golden age of stripping" is over. 10-20 years ago, a stripper could reasonably expect to make 1k a night. Nowadays, clubs are more saturated with strippers and since the economy, it's been more difficult to even pull $500 a night. As a result, more and more strippers (but not all) have resorted to tricking in order to compete. The strippers who don't trick feel resentful that they don't earn as much as the stripper-prostitutes, and that they face more sexual harassment from male customers since the men think that most/all strippers will trick for extra money.

There is also some racial tension within the American stripper community. The highest earning non-tricking strippers are usually white, slim and blonde. They can pull $500-700/night with relative ease. Black strippers make less money on average (maybe $100-400/night). You can imagine how black strippers feel about that.

American stripclubs tend to not be very well run in general - lazy bouncers, slimy managers, overall bad management. Of course the upscale stripclubs are very nice and avoid most of these issues but those places have very strict standards (only the most beautiful women can work there) so most strippers don't get the chance to work there, otherwise they all would.

Portland is very liberal and accepting of stripping as an occupation. Stripping isn't demonised in Portland and almost all strippers who have stripped in Portland have said that they were happy with their experience. They say the atmosphere is safe and friendly, and the money is still good.

Sorry for grammar mistakes, I am tired.

Last edited by StabbyAbby; 08-02-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Also, JAHarvis:

Uh, I don't want to be mean or anything, but you would probably find it hard to make serious money stripping.

The highest earning strippers are usually very fit, slim and toned. Many women still retain a fair amount of weight after pregnancy....

Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,082,927 times
I think it's one thing to be empowered and choose a path and I think it's another to make a choice out of desperation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or