Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 07:52 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times

Advertisements

Regarding the general "culture" of America which is made up of the "melting pot".
Is it normal or natural for a human being to be surrounded by so much envy,vanity,arrogance,pretentiousness,greed,selfis hness and stupidity? Or is this just normal for a 'free country' and true to the nature of current human behaviour? Is it unavoidable in a free market consumer/corporation driven economy?
I am all for a free market economy but it seems to bring out some of the worst in people.Is it normal for Americans to behave like they do in general or just and effect of what the culture currently is and or has become?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 02:16 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Maybe it is, ("normal") I figure there's always been people like that, and you might just notice it more if you live in highly populated areas...sometimes not every thing goes into the "melting pot" can melt as fast as the others...might never...I don't figure it's "natural" to be crammed into cities so close you can hear the neighbors fart, but it's probably quite "normal"...so yes, I do think it's the "effect of what the culture currently is and or has become.
I think it's always avoidable should one choose...but not many corporations do..guess there's no money to be made being nice...not any more anyways.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:13 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Regarding the general "culture" of America which is made up of the "melting pot".
Is it normal or natural for a human being to be surrounded by so much envy,vanity,arrogance,pretentiousness,greed,selfis hness and stupidity? Or is this just normal for a 'free country' and true to the nature of current human behaviour? Is it unavoidable in a free market consumer/corporation driven economy?
I am all for a free market economy but it seems to bring out some of the worst in people.Is it normal for Americans to behave like they do in general or just and effect of what the culture currently is and or has become?
1. Would you like to state which country you are from and where you are now?
2. Would you mind defining the terms that you use? For example, what do you mean by "stupidity"?
3. Why would a "free market society" be the defining factor in bringing out the worst in people? MAYBE it's something else.

It sounds like you are jumping to too many unsubstantiated, possibly biased, conclusions without any proof to back up any of the statements that you made.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
I think it's always avoidable should one choose...but not many corporations do..guess there's no money to be made being nice...not any more anyways.

I don't know if it's just me but lately I'm thinking that an American's utility today is how much consumption he/she can through off in a lifetime. Also, we've moved from 'hunter/gatherers' to simply 'consumers' and we're all eventual billboards. This is perhaps our 'industry' today. It's all well nice but you know it can lead to a vapid existence if we're not careful....;-)...

Old 08-03-2013, 10:17 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
When you give people the freedom to accumulate as much wealth as they possibly can, and draw legal but not moral boundaries to regulate their compass, there will always be a certain number who will use that to their advantage, and almost everyone will be tempted to at least cut a few corners.

In earlier times, when virtually all property was in the hands of the royal families and their sycophants, ordinary mortals had the power to only make very slight improvements to their economic status, and no gain at all in their social station, so they saw no advantage to damage their moral reputation for a marginal financial return. There was no way on earth that a commoner could separate His Lordship from his money. (Lords could only do that to each other.)

All of that changed when three entire continents were turned over to millions of adventurers free to grab what they could grab without impediment, with no downside risk to their sense of virtue or merit, which they indeed equated with their scale of wealth, just as the lords before them. And that is How the West Was Won. And still is. It is the price of democracy and free enterprise, and it must be paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy