Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:52 AM

39 posts, read 152,632 times

Advertisements

I have a question and I wasn't sure where to post it. But it may fit this category!! Is it wrong for a mother to sacrifice her morals when it comes to exotic dancing. I am at a tough spot right now finically. I have never before been inside a strip club let alone danced in one because I don't agree with it! But right now the way things are that seems like my only legal option out of the bind I am in. I do not have a drug problem. I ended up in this situation because I finally got a restraining order on my Ex after dealing with abuse for two of the three years I have known him. Now I am left with all the bills and no food because he took our money that we have saved for the rent telling me he's entitled to it! I am lucky I got the house! Please help. I am fighting with myself on this one. It would be nice to hear honesty opinions!! Thank you for taking time to read this!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:16 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHvaris View Post
I have a question and I wasn't sure where to post it. But it may fit this category!! Is it wrong for a mother to sacrifice her morals when it comes to exotic dancing. I am at a tough spot right now finically. I have never before been inside a strip club let alone danced in one because I don't agree with it! But right now the way things are that seems like my only legal option out of the bind I am in. I do not have a drug problem. I ended up in this situation because I finally got a restraining order on my Ex after dealing with abuse for two of the three years I have known him. Now I am left with all the bills and no food because he took our money that we have saved for the rent telling me he's entitled to it! I am lucky I got the house! Please help. I am fighting with myself on this one. It would be nice to hear honesty opinions!! Thank you for taking time to read this!!!
I think it's wrong for a mother not to do what she has to in order to take care of her children, but I think the concern would be getting into dancing and not having such an easy time getting back out.

Dancing is only going to be as wrong as you let it become, but there will certainly be ample opportunity to further compromise and you will become involved with some people who are not in a healthy place and never will be.

Be careful.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHvaris View Post

What is "right" and what is "wrong" is dictated by society. Although society is divided into groups: some believe that such and such is wrong and some believe that it's not.

I think that most of our society (the more traditional groups) still look down on this kind of thing, assigning the "wrong" value to it. But there are groups which have different values and think that it's ok. So it depends on which group you're seeking the approval from.

Personally, I think that it's an ok thing to do. Although, having been raised in a traditional environment for a long time, deep down I feel uneasy about it.

Society sets the rules of "right and wrong". And we just go by the feeling (which results from knowing and ascribing to these rules). But try using logic. Try to see logically why this should be or would be bad. Is it harmful to anyone? And in which way? If you can't find anything wrong with it logically, then chances are it's not wrong.

But some groups will judge you still. So you have to develop your own self worth and self esteem and be convinced within yourself that it's not wrong. Otherwise, the opinions of these groups will make you de-value your SELF and will make you feel shame about it.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:51 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
sorry you've found yourself in this situation...be assured that anyone who would judge you for doing what works best for you and your child , is the one with the bad morals...not you...just be careful if you do, your child needs you now more than ever...I'm also wondering if it's going to be safe for you in that house...he'll know where you are...he'll probably come back for more.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
While I personally would not do it if I had a choice, as it is not my thing, if there was no other choice and not doing it would mean losing my home or not eating for a week, I'd have to suck it up and do it.
I don't think it's wrong for others to be doing it. I've done other things that is seen as wrong in the eyes of some, but it got me what I needed when I had nothing.
One can make really good money dancing. I've known a few dancers and one would go do a couple weeks to pay for her college classes. $500 in a weekend is a big help when there is nothing.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:31 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
I think if you are vigilant about not getting sucked into the underbelly of that life, and you save your money and get into something else down the road, you can minimize the downside.

But you will probably run into other people in the biz who let it bring a lot of negatives into their lives. You would need to be strong enough not to allow that to happen.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:25 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Go for it. But only if you think your self-esteem can handle it. There is nothing wrong with being a stripper as long as you can keep yourself from getting pulled into the worst aspects of the "lifestyle."

Old 08-01-2013, 02:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There are millions of Americans who are employed doing things that they are morally ambiguous about, like telemarketers or debt collectors or loan officers or junk food counter help ir private detectives, and particularly lawyers, who have an oath to disregard morality in favor of their client's lawful interests. As long as the work is legal, the question of its morality falls in the category of "you do what you gotta do".

Old 08-01-2013, 03:02 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
I haven't been in a club like that either but it was always my thought that hassle and meeting one of the club goers in another place, especially at a job interview for a decent job might be a problem. I think the majority of people think the dancers do more than dance and I'm guessing the opportunity to do other things, not legal, would be there and the money even better. You'll have a lot of people who will judge you negatively. Be careful about making sure your son's care is provided for. I wouldn't do this because of safety issues especially with a child.

Do you have some sort of shelter for women that might have a counselor that you can tell about your situation and see what others have done? Is this the only job that you can get? Depending on your situation, you might be able to get some sort of paid training so that you can be employed in a different job.

It isn't so much whether it is moral as do you care what others think and will you be safe in pursuing this "career"? And, you have a son. I would explore every other avenue before doing this.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:53 PM

4,509 posts, read 4,044,124 times
A lot of engineers who work for the government knowing the people have no say in who their work ends up slaughtering...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy