U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,569,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBomb View Post
So. What do you want in life? A simple question right?
Not really.

[if it was that simple, we'd all have the same answer]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM

5,385 posts, read 6,529,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
This. Well said, knight.
Aww, thank you so much for your very kind words and for the sweet compliment, my friend srjth!!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 AM

688 posts, read 762,728 times
A simple answer is...

To be happy.

That can be achieved many different ways by many different people.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM

4,984 posts, read 5,066,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
In life... I want to make life better for other people somehow. I don't need to leave a legacy with my name, but I would like to with my deeds. That's why I work for a non-profit (I can get paid more at a private company.... it's the work I like). I have dreams of starting my own non-profit (still working on that).

Now, as for a relationship (since that's the forum). I want a kind, strong, gentle man who returns my love, loyalty, support and devotion. A man I can help live his dreams and make happy. And preferably a man who likes my cooking and a lot of sex
You forgot to mention "goal oriented", "ambitious" and financially secure, don't you all?

Old 08-02-2013, 10:06 AM

4,984 posts, read 5,066,077 times
I want freedom from the rat race that don't involve extended rat race and all "externalities" it involves, I want free time to look at the stars, walk in a wilderness (or to type my brains out on this forum, etc.) without feeling guilty about wasted time. Ideally, I would want to find a woman (women) and men who share (some of) my life outlooks and modest goals, but I kinda gave up on that. Luckily, I'm semi-autonomous, that helps.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:28 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,424,153 times
What do I want out of life? Better health, good friends, a steady significant other, a great job, to always look attractive, and to do lots of vacation traveling.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:38 PM

21,327 posts, read 21,900,953 times
I'd like to have what he's having

Old 08-02-2013, 02:00 PM

13,678 posts, read 13,602,613 times
I have all the components for happiness in my life right now. Reasonable stability and the ability support myself come what may (as in if that stability is disrupted), good friends, loving family, awesome dogs, a great location, decent health. Everything that comes after that is gravy.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:00 PM

38 posts, read 51,796 times
Well, what I want out of life and what I really need out of life are two different issues, however in my particular circumstance, I have everything I have ever wanted and ever needed in life, I have a beautiful wife and daughter who both love me very much. We have a very special relationship as a family and do everything together, Karate, Cycling, fishing, golfing, motor car & motorcycle racing & we work together. We started our journey twenty years ago and we are even closer now, despite all the material things we have accumulated to make our lives more comfortable. However the final answer to your question is a roof over our heads, food on the table, clothes on our backs, good medical aid, and enough money and assets to ensure my loved ones can cope if the good lord takes me away from my girls. However while I am still here, then to be at peace with myself and to know that I am making a difference in other people's lives.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:36 PM

11,883 posts, read 7,319,994 times
I want an upscale apartment in one of the old tobacco buildings in Richmond, VA that have been turned into fancy apartments (they have 2 swimming pools and a coffee shop and a gym...wow!) And I want to live alone, with my cat. I want to have many friends all over the world that I correspond with regularly and to go see frequently. I want a career where I'm my own boss and I buy and sell amazing unusual handcrafted goods, I want to go all over to trade shows and conventions meeting people and buying and selling and networking. I want to make enough money at this to be able to take a week or two a year and go enjoy a quiet time at the beach. I want shelves and shelves of good books. I want people in my life who are happy to know me without demanding more than I want to give. I do NOT want a serious relationship ever again, if the one I'm in should ever come to an end. I don't want another human being living in MY home, touching all my stuff, messing up my space and making it smell funny. And above all NO DRAMA!

I want to have enough money for retirement, perhaps after passing on the ownership of my (hopefully successful) business venture to someone younger, hungrier, and wealthier...to volunteer and give to charities like my Aunt did.

I want a hammock, indoors, full of fluffy pillows, and a glass of iced tea. I want to be able to open a window on a thunderstorm in the city, listen to jazz and do paintings. I want to take a road trip with no schedule or set destination and stop at all the weird roadside statues and shops and curiosities and take loads of pictures (even though I usually forget to take pictures.)

EDIT: I forgot...I want to learn martial arts and how to play a musical instrument and some foreign languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or