U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 04:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,729,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
When it's time to relax, Miller stands clear - beer after beer!

Older Miller Beer commercial. lol!
When you feel like more than one or two
And you've built up a thirst that needs a few
Reach for an Emu 2.2

*girls singing chorus * reach for an Emu 2.2 reach for an Emu 2.2 etc

That'll do
Reach for an Emu 2.2

Old beer ad from Western Australia. stuck in my head forever more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 06:07 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,426,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
Well your profile here is private, so I can't tell if we are twins. I doubt it though, most people think I am nuts. I am actively seeking an alternative to modern culture. Even though I don't believe in a supernatural god, my study of history has taught me that religion is the only effective civilizing force, so I am looking for a religion where I will fit. Right now, Karaite Judaism seems most promising and I will visit their synagogue in 2 weeks.
I hope you know that I was kidding when I said we must be twins.

I get frustrated with modern culture, too. That's what we apparently have in common.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:10 PM

195 posts, read 212,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I hope you know that I was kidding when I said we must be twins.

I get frustrated with modern culture, too. That's what we apparently have in common.
Of course not literal twins, but I am always looking for like-minded people, even though I virtually never find them. Are you looking for an alternative to modern culture?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
Of course not literal twins, but I am always looking for like-minded people, even though I virtually never find them. Are you looking for an alternative to modern culture?
No, not actively. When I'm tired of "modern culture" (which is frequent), I retreat to my room. (Modern culture has its conveniences after all).

It's the PEOPLE who frustrate me: their stupidity, arrogance, rudeness, lewdness, etc. There are not words to describe how horrible some people are. I'm certainly not perfect, but I still have morals that I live by.

An example of the last one (lewdness): I saw a young guy doing things at a bus stop. I won't/can't explain, but will say that he should have stayed home until he finished. He was gross, and I quickly turned away in disgust.

I want to see more beauty in the world. To do that, I need to avoid people and focus on nature.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 PM

195 posts, read 212,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
No, not actively. When I'm tired of "modern culture" (which is frequent), I retreat to my room. (Modern culture has its conveniences after all).

It's the PEOPLE who frustrate me: their stupidity, arrogance, rudeness, lewdness, etc. There are not words to describe how horrible some people are. I'm certainly not perfect, but I still have morals that I live by.

An example of the last one (lewdness): I saw a young guy doing things at a bus stop. I won't/can't explain, but will say that he should have stayed home until he finished. He was gross, and I quickly turned away in disgust.

I want to see more beauty in the world. To do that, I need to avoid people and focus on nature.
(Actually it isn't modern culture that has conveniences, it is modern technology which I fully support and which was mostly developed before mainstream culture went down the drain.)

I don't think being a hermit is an ideal solution. Do you plan to have children? If yes, what kind of community would you want to raise them in? I think this is a practical question worth thinking about.

I know that I will never be happy until I find an alternative to modern culture.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:25 PM

Years ago I decided not to have children. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. Clint Eastwood said something like, "It's always good to know your limitations." Parenthood would have diriven me nuts.

After a certain time of day, I MUST isolate myself (to regroup). I don't function well constantly being with people. Privacy is essential and healthy for me. Couldn't have told me that during my teen years, though. Frequent socializing was a must then. Now, not so much.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:16 AM

758 posts, read 808,636 times
In the grand scheme of things, life is a relatively short journey which takes one to various places, but in the end everybody shares the same destination, at least physically, regardless of oneís status, wealth or fortune. It doesnít really matter what one gets out of oneís life because all that one has got one has to leave behind eventually. Such is the nature of all material things. With that in mind, a sound spirituality should be of paramount for it is the only thing that will last for eternity

My life journey so far had taken me to various places; Iíd seen and experienced quite a few things. Iíd been to beautiful places that others would be delighted to go but also horrible place that people would never want to see. I had my pleasant ups and tragic downs. I donít really contemplate on what I can or want to get out of my life for I find it rather impractical because fate has a tendency of throwing surprises. Instead I try to live my life one day at a time and do the best I can to fulfill my current role that life has put me into. I endeavor to lead an honest and honorable life and stay out of harm ways. Some day life will take me to other places as my journey continues; I just hope by the grace of God that it will be a cheerful and beautiful place where I could lead a healthy and happy life.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:38 AM

806 posts, read 512,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
In the grand scheme of things, life is a relatively short journey which takes one to various places, but in the end everybody shares the same destination, at least physically, regardless of oneís status, wealth or fortune. It doesnít really matter what one gets out of oneís life because all that one has got one has to leave behind eventually. Such is the nature of all material things. With that in mind, a sound spirituality should be of paramount for it is the only thing that will last for eternity

My life journey so far had taken me to various places; Iíd seen and experienced quite a few things. Iíd been to beautiful places that others would be delighted to go but also horrible place that people would never want to see. I had my pleasant ups and tragic downs. I donít really contemplate on what I can or want to get out of my life for I find it rather impractical because fate has a tendency of throwing surprises. Instead I try to live my life one day at a time and do the best I can to fulfill my current role that life has put me into. I endeavor to lead an honest and honorable life and stay out of harm ways. Some day life will take me to other places as my journey continues; I just hope by the grace of God that it will be a cheerful and beautiful place where I could lead a healthy and happy life.
One solid post. Agree completely. Peace

Old 02-05-2014, 03:51 PM

47 posts, read 45,496 times
I want to be happy and feel good about my decisions. I want to fix the things that are making me feel miserable as well as grow and experience things that give me happiness. I don't care where my life goes, so long as it's in a forward motion as opposed to heading backwards.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:09 PM

878 posts, read 775,913 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or