U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:50 PM

9,755 posts, read 13,303,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
If you exert any influence over the child - as fathers tend to do - he's likely to not do either of those things. He'll expect his girlfriend to do everything. You're not doing him any favors here.
You know how many times my cooking has got me laid? To be entirely vulgar and politically incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 04:39 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,967,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
You know how many times my cooking has got me laid? To be entirely vulgar and politically incorrect.
That only works in Beverly Hills, here in Wisconsin, a man must be able to drink more beer than the lush he's entertaining to get there. It's why some Wisconsin men can't tell the difference between a dog and a fox, too much beer.

Dizzy Bat: Wisconsin Drinking Game Turned Wrong - YouTube

Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 AM

9,173 posts, read 7,032,243 times
Quote:
Well precisely. Women love men who do that stuff. It's sexy. It's not sexy to be with a man who can't pick up his own smalls off the floor.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,435,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
You can't turn anyone gay. I mean yeah I guess if you end up in jail and turn into someone's you-know-what but that doesn't mean you've "turned gay".

Anyway, ignore your family member. He still thinks it's 1950s. It's people like him that made Lego have "pink toys" for girls. I mean really, are Legos *only* for boys that they have to make pink ones exclusively for girls? I think not.
What about this theory (i know, off the wall) but what if its possible that someone can go their entire life not knowing they're gay and something like a toy or an experience can make the 'light go on'?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:07 AM

17,853 posts, read 12,182,050 times
"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation. It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment." - Royal College of Psychiatrists

"The fetal brain develops during the intrauterine period in the male direction through a direct action of testosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hormone surge. In this way, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender identity or sexual orientation."

Sexual hormones and the brain: an essential alliance for sexual identity and sexual orientation (2010)
Endocr Dev. 2010;17:22-35. Epub 2009 Nov 24. Garcia-Falgueras A, Swaab DF.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,052,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation. It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment." - Royal College of Psychiatrists

"The fetal brain develops during the intrauterine period in the male direction through a direct action of testosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hormone surge. In this way, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender identity or sexual orientation."

Sexual hormones and the brain: an essential alliance for sexual identity and sexual orientation (2010)
Endocr Dev. 2010;17:22-35. Epub 2009 Nov 24. Garcia-Falgueras A, Swaab DF.
Very jejune. You and your source are proffering the Fallacy of Negative Proof.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
That only works in Beverly Hills, here in Wisconsin, a man must be able to drink more beer than the lush he's entertaining to get there. It's why some Wisconsin men can't tell the difference between a dog and a fox, too much beer.
Oh, I can put away the beer... no worries there

I also brew my own. "Here, try this wheat beer... pairs perfectly with the spinach and kale pesto/cream gnocchi we're about to have." Sometimes, being a total ponce is worthwhile!

Thanks for teaching me how to cook and exposing me to the spice cabinet early on, mom

Old 08-09-2013, 01:57 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,082,927 times
Quote:
I grew up in a military family, and my dad was often away for extended periods in my early childhood, so I was largely raised by my mom. I was an inquisitive kid and always wanted to know what my mom was doing, and because of that, I learned how to sew and embroider, press flowers, garden, and cook.

I'm entirely straight, and I firmly believe that most people who are gay are born gay and most people who are straight are born straight. From the time I was a little kid, I wanted to marry a girl and had crushes on girls. I date women, work on cars, lift weights, drink my beer from the bottle, have a bunch of cool power tools and have a pair of destroyed work boots.

If I have a son someday and he wants to play with pretty flowers and learn how to cook, fine. If I have a daughter and she wants to play with tools and help me work on my car, fine. If either of them ends up being gay, I doubt it had much to do with their preference for Tonka Trucks over Easy Bake Ovens.

I agree.

I learned a lot from both parents and I'm entirely straight. I played with My Little Ponies when I was 4-5 years old, though I remember some cousins teasing me about it.

I know how to cook, bake and decorate (yes, decorate) from my mom. And I know how to fix cars, computers and other handyman stuff because of my dad.

Other than admiration of some males, the thought of sexual relations with the same sex does not turn me on in the least.

I think there are various degrees of being gay, but for the most part I think you're either gay or not.

And being gay is having that emotional connection to the same sex; it isn't solely about sexual relations.

---

So really, I don't see how playing with toys does anything.

It would be another thing if society told you (at an early age) that you have to belong in a same sex relationship. As I think more people would unknowingly deny their "true" self; much like gay people have done over the centuries.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:40 PM

12,392 posts, read 7,449,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
What about this theory (i know, off the wall) but what if its possible that someone can go their entire life not knowing they're gay and something like a toy or an experience can make the 'light go on'?
So there is a man. His whole life he has never doubted that he is attracted to women, and that he loves the woman that he has been married to for 50 years. One day he decided to play Barbie dream house with his great granddaughter. While driving Baywatch Barbie and Majorette Skipper in Barbie's baby blue 57 Chevy (pink interior) to her hot pink dream house it just dawns on this guy. I'm gay! After 80 years, he just never knew, and probably would have never known unless he had played Barbies that one fateful day.

Yeah... sure that's possible.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I agree.

I learned a lot from both parents and I'm entirely straight. I played with My Little Ponies when I was 4-5 years old, though I remember some cousins teasing me about it.

I know how to cook, bake and decorate (yes, decorate) from my mom. And I know how to fix cars, computers and other handyman stuff because of my dad.

Other than admiration of some males, the thought of sexual relations with the same sex does not turn me on in the least.

I think there are various degrees of being gay, but for the most part I think you're either gay or not.

And being gay is having that emotional connection to the same sex; it isn't solely about sexual relations.

---

So really, I don't see how playing with toys does anything.

It would be another thing if society told you (at an early age) that you have to belong in a same sex relationship. As I think more people would unknowingly deny their "true" self; much like gay people have done over the centuries.
And, this whole idea also goes against the huge number of people who are gay who did play with toys designed for people of their gender.

I know extremely masculine gay men who drive muscle cars, go to the gym, cringe at things that are "girly," and are not attracted to extremely feminine gay men, and lesbians who have cabinets full of makeup, closets full of heels, cocktail dresses, fret about their figures, don't like camping and go for girls who are the same. The stereotypes about "dykes" and "fairies" don't apply to everyone who's gay.

When it comes to toys... as adults, we are sexual beings who live in a highly sexualized and gender-lined world. There's "masculine" food (steaks, burgers, fried chicken) and "feminine" foods (salads, tofu, veggies). There are "masculine" cars (Mustangs, Camaros, Rams) and "feminine" cars (Miatas, Priuses, and Fiat 500's). There are couches and tables that are "masculine" or "feminine." When we are little kids who haven't hit puberty yet, a lot of this sexualization is an abstract concept: if a toy looks "fun," they want to play with it.

As one of the posters here noted previously, maybe a boy who takes a doll and cuddles it and carries it around telling it he's going to make it dinner is mimicking how his father, whom he loves and looks up to, comforts him when he's sad, pays attention to him when he's lonely, and makes him pizza when he's hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or