U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2013, 10:26 AM
 
2,690 posts, read 4,388,385 times
Reputation: 1931

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Since when does this notion exist?? My mother bought my son a kitchen play set. My son is 2.5. He loves to watch me cook, so she bought him the play set to have more imaginative play. Its not even a "pink" play set, its completely gender neutral and even has a grill on the back. Yet, once I posted about how my son loved grandma's gift (on facebook), a family member accused of emasculating my son.

I'm still in shock. How can a 2.5 year old be emasculated by a toy? I stated those words, and he accused me of going "Dr Phil" on him. He told me to "get that boy a football". Seriously? Do people think like this? When my mother pointed out it had a grill on it, he said "good, saw the kitchen half off and just give him the grill".

Last I checked, most chefs are men anyway.
I have a 2.5 year old son, who loves to fake cook, because he sees me doing it. We havn't bought him a kitchen set, but probably will soon.

Your family member who commented on it is an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2013, 10:26 AM
 
9,173 posts, read 7,037,996 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
Well, he'll have to take care of his house without a maid. I could live without one as well but my life would be terrible.
Right. And I assume he'll have a kitchen. So what's wrong with having a kitchen as a child?

Not only gay men and women have kitchens. Last time I looked, every home - unless you're renting a room - has one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 10:28 AM
 
159 posts, read 176,597 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Right. And I assume he'll have a kitchen. So what's wrong with having a kitchen as a child?

Not only gay men and women have kitchens. Last time I looked, every home - unless you're renting a room - has one.
But by then he's an adult, he does whatever he wants. But now he has to take male characteristics to build up character and not turn into a wimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 10:33 AM
 
9,173 posts, read 7,037,996 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
But by then he's an adult, he does whatever he wants. But now he has to take male characteristics to build up character and not turn into a wimp.
Cooking and looking after your environment and yourself are not FEMININE characteristics.

There's nothing wimpy about loading a dishwasher or cooking a good pot roast. That's just an absurd notion apropos of absolutely nothing practical whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
21,852 posts, read 23,087,636 times
Reputation: 37219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
But by then he's an adult, he does whatever he wants. But now he has to take male characteristics to build up character and not turn into a wimp.
How exactly is having the ability to take care of ones self "wimpy"? Who needs a partner (of either gender) who refuses to learn basic skills for living? It was just as important for my daughter to be adept at changing a tire as my son. Both are capable of cooking and cleaning as well.

ETA this is clearly a parenting discussion and was appropriate in that forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 10:38 AM
 
9,173 posts, read 7,037,996 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How exactly is having the ability to take care of ones self "wimpy"? Who needs a partner (of either gender) who refuses to learn basic skills for living? It was just as important for my daughter to be adept at changing a tire as my son. Both are capable of cooking and cleaning as well.

ETA this is clearly a parenting discussion and was appropriate in that forum
I agree. This kind of thing is one of the vital philosophies of parenting. Parents are capable of discussing the implications of their parenting style on society as a whole. We don't just want to discuss toilet training and school supplies. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 10:57 AM
 
159 posts, read 176,597 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Cooking and looking after your environment and yourself are not FEMININE characteristics.

There's nothing wimpy about loading a dishwasher or cooking a good pot roast. That's just an absurd notion apropos of absolutely nothing practical whatsoever.
I'm sure his mother will teach him those things if she isn't doing it already. I have much less time with him than her so I have to teach him how to be man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 AM
 
9,173 posts, read 7,037,996 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
I'm sure his mother will teach him those things if she isn't doing it already. I have much less time with him than her so I have to teach him how to be man.
Part of being a man is not relying on women for your basic self sufficiency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 12:05 PM
 
2,763 posts, read 4,674,310 times
Reputation: 2764
Why on earth was this moved to Philosophy? This is a parenting thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 PM
 
5,934 posts, read 5,416,352 times
Reputation: 10584
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
But by then he's an adult, he does whatever he wants. But now he has to take male characteristics to build up character and not turn into a wimp.

Heh. When my son was 3, he used to love to dress up in his sister's Tinkerbell fairy dress costume. It was green and had wings. He especially loved the wings.

One day he was playing outside with it on, chasing a garden snake he found in the garage. He would throw it somewhere and pretend to fly over to it to kill it. We had to have a conversation about not handling wild animals he found in the garage. He also had a thing for field mice. Thank God he never actually caught one.

I'm thinking his love of Tinkerbell costumes, Dora the Explorer (he even had Dora bedsheets) and tiaras had no effect on his "wimp" development. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top