U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:11 PM

10,588 posts, read 10,744,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Can't be bothered to look at this dumb video. Heard to much about this religious methodology as of late- If the dull eyed guy in the video has children - let him mind his own business...I believe in God but chanting at the sky does not have much effect...in regards to human sexuality- the All Mighty is just that and I doubt very much that this magnificent force and source concerns itself with humans and their modulating sexual activities. I am not big on gay nor so called gay rights...but I am even less interested in religious goons fixated on this stuff....How about PRAYING HE HUNGER AWAY ? Or something else useful to the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 03:22 PM

21,863 posts, read 23,099,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
This MIGHT be philosophical because it deals with homosexuality.

I have only read a few of the posts, so this may have already been said. As far as the latest science is concerned, homosexuals and heterosexuals are born that way. Toys, or other objects, DON'T turn heterosexuals into homosexuals or vice-versa.
Only weird parents think like that.
If having an opinion on something was the criteria for something to belong in Philosophy, then pretty much every topic on CD could be moved here. This thread was about a parenting choice.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:30 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,086,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Since when does this notion exist?? My mother bought my son a kitchen play set. My son is 2.5. He loves to watch me cook, so she bought him the play set to have more imaginative play. Its not even a "pink" play set, its completely gender neutral and even has a grill on the back. Yet, once I posted about how my son loved grandma's gift (on facebook), a family member accused of emasculating my son.

I'm still in shock. How can a 2.5 year old be emasculated by a toy? I stated those words, and he accused me of going "Dr Phil" on him. He told me to "get that boy a football". Seriously? Do people think like this? When my mother pointed out it had a grill on it, he said "good, saw the kitchen half off and just give him the grill".

Last I checked, most chefs are men anyway.
This post speaks to the stereotypes many people have about gay and lesbian people-that they just want to be someone of a different gender OR "All gay men are effeminate" and "All lesbians are butch." Of course stereotypes exist for a women, lots of gay men are what we in North America would deem "feminine" and lots of lesbians are what we would deem "masculine."

As I'm sure many posts before me have stated, toys will not "turn" a child into anything, unless of course you give your child lots of LEGOS, chemistry sets, etc. and they just MIGHT "turn" into an engineer, scientist, doctor, etc.

I'm a lesbian, I am considered "feminine", and I played with a wide variety of toys growing up. I played with dolls, I played in the mud and made mud pies, owned several tea sets, broke a few Easy Bake ovens, loved to play dress up, and I played basketball for a few years growing up.

There are plenty of gay males who grew up doing plenty of "macho" activities and plenty of lesbians who played with dolls, easy bake ovens, etc.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:18 PM

12,328 posts, read 7,473,626 times
The notion that something as simple and utilitarian as a kitchen play set would affect a child's future sexual orientation is ridiculous. More than ever, we have to learn a variety of roles and skills to function in a more (but not entirely) gender-neutral society.

But this does not change the fact that there is a small-but-vocal minority within the general consensus on the far Left end of the present political divide that seeks emphasis of traits such as spontaneity, vulnerability and impressionability which many men have been conditioned not to reveal.

In the end, the free exchange of human opinion in millions of homes will resolve these differences. But it s the so-called "progressive' element which is currently on the offensive here, and quick to raise a hue and cry when their cause encounters opposition.

Gullibility is not generally viewed as a virtue; for now, we're not ready to buy the entire package.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:06 PM

9,173 posts, read 7,041,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The notion that something as simple and utilitarian as a kitchen play set would affect a child's future sexual orientation is ridiculous. More than ever, we have to learn a variety of roles and skills to function in a more (but not entirely) gender-neutral society.

But this does not change the fact that there is a small-but-vocal minority within the general consensus on the far Left end of the present political divide that seeks emphasis of traits such as spontaneity, vulnerability and impressionability which many men have been conditioned not to reveal.

In the end, the free exchange of human opinion in millions of homes will resolve these differences. But it s the so-called "progressive' element which is currently on the offensive here, and quick to raise a hue and cry when their cause encounters opposition.

Gullibility is not generally viewed as a virtue; for now, we're not ready to buy the entire package.
Oh cause smause.

It's not a case of liberals here trying to oppress men and stop them being men.

Being a man has nothing to do with what color shirt you wear or whether you do the laundry or cook. Being a man is a state of mind, that puts your family first, that protects and loves them, that has respect for a woman he loves and who fights for actual worthwhile things he believes in, who teaches a child how to stand up for himself because the child is secure and respects himself, not because he needs to prove he's not a wimp.

All this other stuff - worrying about turning your kid gay because they like a doll or pink, is just because the worrier is insecure. Otherwise what does it matter?

Real men don't care. Real men who just happen to be gay don't care either.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,738,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
People are born gay or not, you aren't going to "turn someone gay". I have 3 sons and when they were toddlers they all played with fake food and a cook set/kitchen. They played with it 2-3 years and then grew out of it. I think it is healthy for boys and girls to play with each others toys.
This^

[quote=Sudcaro;30805243] I do too. My daughter loves her toy cars! That doesn't make her a boy.[/quote]

This^

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Oh lord..... Ask your friend which one of his toys was the one responsible for making him hetero. Then, utilize the BLOCK button pronto.
and This^

HIW...

Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 PM

12,423 posts, read 7,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
" You can't turn someone gay" - I would say if you started at an early age you could train any child to be gay....there is human conditioning...behavior modification exists.
So, how did your parents train you to be straight?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 AM

454 posts, read 598,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post

Boys who are treated like babies go running to their mother when they see a mouse.
Huh?? so.... not coddling a boy will ensure he grows up fearless? people (both male & female) fear all kinds of things regardless of their upbringing... i'm sure everyone on this earth has at least one thing they are afraid of... it doesn't make them a wimp!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,053,118 times
Quote:
I have a maid 7 days a week. I only cook for friends or late at night if I'm really hungry.

P.S. His mother was never my wife. I've never been married (fortunately).
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What a waste of money. I hope you teach your child to be more capable and self sufficient than that.
Quote:
If I can afford one, what's wrong with it? I usually get home very late from work, so no patience or time to do domestic duties. During weekends I want to take the kid somewhere, swimming or horseriding, because it's my only time with him.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it; if it enables you to be more efficient with your time, great.

As to the person who criticized your choice to engage the services of a maid, the person is probably envious that you're fortunate enough to afford one.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:58 AM

3,637 posts, read 2,688,258 times
Quote:
If he turned out that way, he will probably be an adult by then, so nothing to be done on my part. But I will surely not give him incentives to be gay. There are hardly any true men these days, I don't want him to be afraid of a mouse.
Or - you know - we could just let our kids be kids - stop ascribing sexuality to everything they do or say - and buy them whatever toys they want (within moderation and reason in terms of quantity) as and when they want them.

The interests of children is not putty that we as parents have to mould. Their interests are their own - we do not set them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or