Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Only if the needs/feelings of others are my responsibility, which it is not.
Children aside- If you are a member of a society and do not care about the well being of those within your community you're probably selfish (independent of responsibility). I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that either. It takes all kinds. With that said, I think it's rare. We all volunteer here or there, donate, or do whatever we can in our lives to contribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 12:23 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,690,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Children aside- If you are a member of a society and do not care about the well being of those within your community you're probably selfish (independent of responsibility). I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that either. It takes all kinds. With that said, I think it's rare. We all volunteer here or there, donate, or do whatever we can in our lives to contribute.
I am not a murderer, rapist nor a thief. My absolute, bare minimum responsibility as I see it to others is to avoid causing unnecessary harm. I've done my part.

The only causes I support are those concerned with animal welfare and environmental conservation and even so, only financially. My time is my most precious resource and it belongs to me to do as I see fit.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I am not a murderer, rapist nor a thief. My absolute, bare minimum responsibility as I see it to others is to avoid causing unnecessary harm. I've done my part.

The only causes I support are those concerned with animal welfare and environmental conservation and even so, only financially. My time is my most precious resource and it belongs to me to do as I see fit.
You make my point. You're still doing something for somebody/thing, however small. Not that I'm trying to rob you of your "I don't care/am a do nothing" pride.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:12 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
Quote:

I agree, especially if there is apparently little time available to recuperate from the world (and the nuts in it).

I absolutely love animals, and plan to give to some of those charities.

I want to faithfully donate to "people" charities again soon. Occasionally it would be nice to do something in person, but time doesn't allow that ("strange" work schedule, but better than NO job ).

Old 11-24-2013, 05:14 AM

6 posts, read 6,445 times
It's wrong to be childfree because you are depriving a child the right to exist. There is beauty, joy and happiness in the world. Being alive is an opportunity, a privilege. How can someone deny existence to their potential children.. I simply don't understand.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:28 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
No it is not selfish to be childfree. In fact, in many ways it's noble. The childfree make more room for the children of those of us who have children. They pay into the system and use less because their children will never use schools and other resources. Honestly, the selfish choice is having children. It's also an arrogant choice. Who are we that we think we have what it takes to shape another human being?

People have children for their own selfish reasons. There is nothing noble about having kids. It's part of continuing the species and if everyone stopped having kids then we'd die off but I don't think we're in any danger of that happening. In fact, we are over populating the planet. Those who choose not to breed are not contributing to that problem. Those who choose to breed are. So just who are the selfish ones?

I admit I had my kids for my own selfish reasons. I wanted to be a parent. I did them no favors by bringing them into this world. It was purely for my own satisfaction. I know it was the selfish choice. Sometimes we are selfish. However, once you have kids, you have to stop being selfish because once you make the decision to have them, you owe it to them to give them the best upbringing possible.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:00 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,690,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuliahsoncini View Post
It's wrong to be childfree because you are depriving a child the right to exist. There is beauty, joy and happiness in the world. Being alive is an opportunity, a privilege. How can someone deny existence to their potential children.. I simply don't understand.
That is completely absurd and ridiculous. Non-existent things don't have RIGHTS to begin with. Since when did anyone have the right to exist? Where is that in the constitution?

Do you think that couples who only have 1-3 children are being selfish too? A healthy fertile woman could be pregnant every year from teenagehood until menopause. Is a woman selfish if she isn't constantly pregnant and giving birth to as many children as possible? I mean, every one of her eggs is a potential person.

Do you think that the Pope, nuns, priests, monks and Jesus Christ are selfish because they didn't have kids?

You didn't exist for approximately 13.5 BILLION years before your parents decided to have unprotected sex and conceive you. Did you ever once think during the previous 13.5 billion years about how unfair and awful it was to not exist? No, you didn't. It's absurd to worry about the thoughts and feelings of non-existent, non-sentient entities.

Don't you think that every child deserves to be born to parents who WANT them? I guess not, all you seem to care about is quantity over quality. Relax, there are over 400 000 babies born every day. The human species isn't going extinct.

How many children do you have?

Old 11-24-2013, 06:45 AM

I bet he's a one post wonder just trying to ruffle feathers.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:56 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
They pay into the system and use less because their children will never use schools and other resources.
People feel they are martyrs for paying into a system that they themselves don't use. It is these kids, however, that pay into the systems for decades, lifting our society.

Society's with lack of youth (workable people) decay - we're seeing this all over Europe.

(That being said, people who don't feel like having kids shouldn't have them.)

Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 AM

6 posts, read 6,445 times
I just find ridiculous this antinatalist stuff that we have an obligation to prevent suffering, therefore it's wrong to have kids. In first place, why should I care about suffering?

Having children is the most beautiful experience. It's magical. My daughter is my world, she is my everything, she the meaning of my life. I love her like I never loved someone before, and having her was the most correct decision I made in my life. I will never regret it.
Childfree people will never understand the joys of parenthood.
It's cruel to deny someone the right of being a mother or a father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy