U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 12:08 PM

19,078 posts, read 21,918,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Yes, having children is a burden that families who have them are saddled with. It is a self-imposed burden that they bear because of their life choice to have children.
Indeed, but these children that you are complaining about, or complaining that you have to pay taxes, will be supporting you when your time comes. So, you are going to benefit. Given that, why complain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:29 PM

451 posts, read 628,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Yes, I think it's selfish to not want to have children, especially among married couples.
Why? I have no maternal instinct. Zero, zip, nada. I hate being around children. I hate the noise they make and the mess and the bodily fluids. I have no interest in a blank slate to which I have to teach everything, at least for the first five years of its life. I have never cared about passing on my genes or anything like that.

I was raised by a woman who has no maternal instinct, and I wouldn't want to inflict the same on anyone. Why is it selfish for me not to put a child in that position?

Old 09-18-2013, 12:40 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,206,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Why? I have no maternal instinct. Zero, zip, nada. I hate being around children. I hate the noise they make and the mess and the bodily fluids. I have no interest in a blank slate to which I have to teach everything, at least for the first five years of its life. I have never cared about passing on my genes or anything like that.

I might love you.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,441,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Yes, having children is a burden that families who have them are saddled with. It is a self-imposed burden that they bear because of their life choice to have children.
Yes, when I look at my children all i see is a burden that I'm saddled with. Yep, that's all.

It's pretty clear that people's outlook on life and humanity in general determines how they feel about this.

And again...I still don't think not having children is selfish at all.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:33 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,192,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Yes, when I look at my children all i see is a burden that I'm saddled with. Yep, that's all.

It's pretty clear that people's outlook on life and humanity in general determines how they feel about this.

And again...I still don't think not having children is selfish at all.
You are taking my words out of context. I was responding directly to Sponger42 who posted statistics on how families with children are financially burdened compared to child-free homes. I never said your children are a burden to you personally. I was using his words to address financial statistics and taxes.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:40 PM

83 posts, read 63,886 times
Quote:
Yes, I think it's selfish to not want to have children, especially among married couples.
I just really want a child...I think it will fulfill my life...It's what I want...blah blah blah. That's pure selfishness. And then you subject some kid to a life in a world with increasing wars, crime, food shortages, poverty, gross global over-population, climate deterioration, natural resource shortages, corporate, government corruption, decreasing human rights, increasing gap between the rich and the poor, catastrophic debt, class warfare, global economic collapse. Thanks. And all because you wanted a child. That is the very definition of selfishness. You are contributing to the downfall of society because of your selfishness.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 PM

878 posts, read 775,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Except for the fact the terms have become interchangeable in modern parlance. Please do try to keep up with the times.
Sorry, I don't do stupid. The times may choose to be stupid. I do NOT.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 PM

878 posts, read 775,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post

I was raised by a woman who has no maternal instinct, and I wouldn't want to inflict the same on anyone. Why is it selfish for me not to put a child in that position?
Will you marry me? Or at least join my harem? No mothers in the bunch!

Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,450,438 times
Quote:
Why?

Old 09-19-2013, 05:19 AM

41 posts, read 39,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think having children is the most incredibly selfish thing anyone can do. And yes, I have kids.

I wholeheartedly admit, I wanted kids. I wanted someone who is a likeness of me, someone who would love me unconditionally, etc. So you see, it was all about me.

Who can honestly say they had kids for some reason other than themselves in the equation? Not a single person. People aren't having kids so they can cure cancer. Unless you're a genius, a millionaire, or a prodigy, your offspring are nothing special to anyone else but you and your core family.

Just an observation.
Most important, you didn't have children for their own sake. You didn't really care if you were bringing to the world someone who would suffer and regret being born.
People have children mostly without any thought for whether they want to be had or not. And when people have them, it is the children who have to live with the consequences of parent's desire for having them, not the parents.

Last edited by Lorees; 09-19-2013 at 05:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy