U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 02:51 AM

11 posts, read 11,054 times

Advertisements

Procreation is pointless and unethical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 AM

275 posts, read 154,765 times
This thread is quite long so without reading all the comments, selfish is Octomom, the Gosselins, and the Duggars. The Duggars are from the reality show"19 Kids and Counting". The Duggars had a preemie baby in 2009 that almost was a disaster and a midterm miscarriage in 2011. They still talk about another even with the increased danger. The Gosselins had twins then used IVF. For some reason, twins weren't good enough so they had 6 at once. The babies fought for their lives. I won't even go into Octomom. This is not to mention the teens who throw babies in dumpsters or drown them in toilets. Then there are the sanctimonious parents that grumble about child-free. I guess they haven't opened up a newspaper. They gripe about lack of time for a shower but find time to slam the child-free or childless. Obviously if you aren't spending every waking hour chasing toddlers or carting kids to practice., your life is empty and selfish. It makes me wonder how carefully they thought of having children and then want to blame another person. If you want kids fine, but remember who had them. We need DINKs to make up for the alleged 44% who don't pay income taxes. Yea someone needs to have kids and some others do not. No matter what choice you make, there are ups and downs. Everyone makes a sacrifice in some way regardless of parental status

Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 AM

21,260 posts, read 21,765,152 times
I didn't bother reading all these responses but I echo what many have probably said and I think no one should have children, get a dog or cat from the animal shelter instead.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM

16 posts, read 12,544 times
Nature just made people dumb enough to live to reproduce ad infinitum. Life is a circular meaningless ****.
People just need a bit of rationality to realize that procreating is meaningless and serves no purpose.

Maybe we get to a point where people will lose their interest in having children. Maybe somewhere in the future this will happen.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM

14,189 posts, read 9,033,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I didn't bother reading all these responses but I echo what many have probably said and I think no one should have children, get a dog or cat from the animal shelter instead.
You'll get more unconditional love and sincere gratitude, and more appreciation from pets, to be sure. And less guff, if you even halfway understand the pack structure that frames a dog's thinking. Less drama. Less reading of tea leaves and soliciting of esoteric advice to deal with inexplicable attitudes and behavior.

George Carlin called life "a series of dogs" -- you could do worse.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 PM

14,189 posts, read 9,033,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafke View Post
Nature just made people dumb enough to live to reproduce ad infinitum. Life is a circular meaningless ****.
People just need a bit of rationality to realize that procreating is meaningless and serves no purpose.

Maybe we get to a point where people will lose their interest in having children. Maybe somewhere in the future this will happen.
Evolution cares only about passing on genes, not about quality of life. That doesn't mean we can't care about and accomplish more than that, but having kids and any appreciable expectations about those kids, is not the best way to go about it.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 PM

334 posts, read 593,567 times
Is Being Childfree Selfish?

No. If you don't want kids you shouldn't have them. What would be selfish is to have kids you don't want to please a parent who thinks you should just to get them off your back. Your mama isn't "entitled" to grandchildren.That being said, having a daughter and then a granddaughter is the best thing we ever did. I agree with what my father once said, "I feel sorry for people who don't have kids".

Old 10-28-2013, 04:14 PM

451 posts, read 624,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
Is Being Childfree Selfish?

No. If you don't want kids you shouldn't have them. What would be selfish is to have kids you don't want to please a parent who thinks you should just to get them off your back. Your mama isn't "entitled" to grandchildren.
This is very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
I agree with what my father once said, "I feel sorry for people who don't have kids".
We don't want your pity, it's condescending. How would you feel if Childfree people said they felt sorry for people who do have kids?

Old 11-03-2013, 04:22 AM

231 posts, read 286,106 times
Quote:
What would be selfish is to have kids you don't want to please a parent who thinks you should just to get them off your back. Your mama isn't "entitled" to grandchildren.
Quite so. I was pressured by my family especially my mother. I still get questions from others about whether I've have children, or why I haven't had them, or still intend to have them although I'm 46 years old. I'm so glad that I didn't cave into pressure to have children, just to please someone else. I feel sorry for children born into the world today that are abused and neglected. I'm glad that I INTENTIONALLY chose not to force existence onto another human being. Give me cats any day.

Last edited by TheUnknown67; 11-03-2013 at 04:37 AM..

Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,444,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Here is a definition of being selfish: having or showing concern only for yourself and not for the needs or feelings of other people.

Looking out for yourself at someone else's expense is selfish but probably much more. Something probably can be done about it especially if it is done at the expense of another person.

I guess I wouldn't call childfree selfish. I would simply call it looking out for your best interest.
Only if the needs/feelings of others are my responsibility, which it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy