U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 01:58 AM

2,371 posts, read 1,505,184 times

Advertisements

Ridiculous question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:07 AM

13,493 posts, read 5,008,949 times
agreed. but with instant info all the time, they have college kids sitting around thinking "marketing".

300,000,000 people. we need to start with "parent permits". Its rediculous to think Just because I can push one out it gives me the right to turn it loose on the rest of you.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:33 PM

8,341 posts, read 9,808,592 times
I think the opposite is true: Having children is quite possibly the single most selfish act a a human can commit.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:28 AM

15,265 posts, read 12,596,689 times
I think many people have children for selfish reasons....some want someone who will be there for them later on in life.. some want a doll to dress up.. some want someone to control.. some want a part of themselves out there... many want kids to keep up with their friends.....

Old 02-16-2015, 12:31 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,189 posts, read 2,945,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
It's "selfish" because the childfree individual is putting their own wants and needs above their "tribe"'s need to perpetuate, expand and dominate.
Yes, but that is usually a noble act, to do something for the benefit of the collective good.

Quote:
The government wants more soldiers and taxpayers.

Corporations need more cheap labor and consumers.

Organized religion wants more followers.
None of which is the reason why people need to have kids. The reason is that we are the stewards of the Earth. That could be because there is a God who wanted to share existence with other sentient beings (my opinion), or it be just a random event (Richard Dawkin's opinion), but the fact remains, we are the stewards of life on Earth, by virtue of being the dominant species. Life is a rare and precious thing that needs to be protected. Especially intelligent life like ourselves. But if humanity killed itself by allowing the "childfree philosophy" to win, either life on Earth would eventually be destroyed because there would be nothing to protect it, or another intelligent species would evolve, which might make worse decisions.

Plus we have to consider aliens. Either we are the first intelligent species in the universe or there are others. If we are the first, we want to continue to exist to be a mentor to other intelligent species that might evolve elsewhere. If we are not the first, we may be needed to prevent a predatory species from coming to destroy all life on Earth, or again, we might need to mentor other species. Either way this is a reason why we need to perpetuate the species.

Having children is an altruistic act for the greater good.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:02 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,106,776 times
No, I don't think so. Children are alot of work. It's better to not have kids if you don't really want them.
You either want them or you don't. Children are a 24/7 responsibility.
I don't want children. I like my free time, doing as I please, sleeping in ect...

Old 04-07-2016, 08:03 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,504,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'd expect the comments here to be pretty much the same as they are every time a "child-free" poster comes here and baits - just waiting for the handful of posters who will say that not having children is wrong/selfish etc. so they can post how awful parents treat them. MOST parents have no problem at all with those who choose not to have children, most parents are more upset with parents who never should have had children. If you don't want them, don't have them. Don't judge me for having them either though. As long as we're both on that page, no problem.
Exactly. It's a personal choice. Not having kids doesn't hurt anyone. So what's the problem? Nothing.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,548,560 times
A lot of people are irresponsible, don't use birth control, and have kids who are unplanned - and then they end up not being able to afford to take care of them. They they go on welfare, and we the taxpayers have to foot the bills for these irresponsible people.

As far as people that tell those who don't have kids that they're selfish, the hell with them. One of my relatives with a lot of kids said that to me, and I felt like telling her she was a filthy cu$# who couldn't keep her legs closed.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 05-15-2016 at 06:56 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 07:28 AM

15,265 posts, read 12,596,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
A lot of people are irresponsible, don't use birth control, and have kids who are unplanned - and then they end up not being able to afford to take care of them. They they go on welfare, and we the taxpayers have to foot the bills for these irresponsible people.

As far as people that tell those who don't have kids that they're selfish, the hell with them. One of my relatives with a lot of kids said that to me, and I felt like telling her she was a filthy cu$# who couldn't keep her legs closed.
Charming and uncalled for..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy