U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 04:54 PM

2,613 posts, read 5,817,353 times

Advertisements

More children we have, the more we take from the Earth. Selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 05:22 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,437,558 times
If anything, having kids is more selfish than NOT having kids.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 PM

66 posts, read 147,437 times
I really want to say that it isn't, because at 21 and extremely content with living alone, I cannot imagine giving up my lifestyle for others. I suppose I'm just selfish myself.

What concerns me more is that having kids of my own would really mean a lot to my parents, who I know would be delighted to have grandchildren. It makes me wonder if I would be depriving them of something if I didn't eventually settle down. : /

Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,705,766 times
nope but having kids you don't want is selfish
having kids to live yourself thru another person is selfish
having kids to have someone to take care of you when you get old is selfish
having kids to make a mini-me of yourself is selfish

there are enough people on the planet, there is no need to force people to do what they dont want to just because society says to

Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,126,061 times
I don't have children. That was my personal choice. I feel that the only people who judge me are the ones who made poor decisions in their own lives. The good parents who have their act together never criticize my decision. The ones that do usually are just plain jealous because they are stuck in bad marriages, financially overwhelmed, upset by their lack of freedom, etc. I think I get more envy from them than anything else. Which says a lot more about them than it does about me. Some people may think I'm selfish but I feel it's wrong to bring a child into this world unless you are 110% committed to them financially and emotionally. And have a stable, strong 2-parent situation. To raise a child in any other kind of environment is just irresponsible.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 AM

2,777 posts, read 3,020,620 times
Most "childfree" are smug white liberals, which the world vastly needs less of anyway.

In any event, fewer children=fewer competitors for resources with my brood.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:04 AM

92 posts, read 154,129 times
The selfish thing would be to have children when you really do not want them.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:04 AM

9,025 posts, read 9,451,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post
I really want to say that it isn't, because at 21 and extremely content with living alone, I cannot imagine giving up my lifestyle for others. I suppose I'm just selfish myself.

What concerns me more is that having kids of my own would really mean a lot to my parents, who I know would be delighted to have grandchildren. It makes me wonder if I would be depriving them of something if I didn't eventually settle down. : /
Having kids because someone else wants you to is a terrible idea. Seriously.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:13 AM

451 posts, read 625,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Having kids because someone else wants you to is a terrible idea. Seriously.
Absolutely! My mother took a long time to get used to the fact that I have no desire to raise a child. She desperately wants grandchildren, and she and my dad would make excellent grandparents. I told her once, when she was looking at me with the sad puppy dog eyes about it, that I would be happy to pop one out if she'd raise it. She declined my generous offer. She's left me alone about it ever since.

For those of you who believe that it is necessary for governments and societies to encourage or bribe people to reproduce, isn't 7,000,000,000 people enough? What is your goal population? Are you really that afraid that the species will die out and there will be no one left to take care of you in your old age? I'm asking with genuine curiosity here.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,417,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Most "childfree" are smug white liberals, which the world vastly needs less of anyway.

In any event, fewer children=fewer competitors for resources with my brood.
See, now THIS is selfish!

Actually, beyond selfish. This is greed at its ugliest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy