Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Selfishness is placing concern with oneself or one's own interests above the well-being or interests of others

If no one exists therefore....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 06:50 PM

103 posts, read 164,125 times
It can be TOTALLY selfish to have children. I told a man from Mexico that I didn't want children and he said: "But who will care for you when you are old?!" I told him that you don't have kids so that they can take care of you later. That is what is selfish. I think it's also selfish to want your own DNA and not want to adopt kids that are here. Or to love some beings more than others.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
My brother and his wife, married 40 years did not have children and the world has to be a better place.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie creamcheese View Post
It can be TOTALLY selfish to have children. I told a man from Mexico that I didn't want children and he said: "But who will care for you when you are old?!" I told him that you don't have kids so that they can take care of you later. That is what is selfish.
Agreed. If you save and invest the money you would have spent on having kids, you'll have the money for a nice nursing home when you're old. The problem is a lot of single childless folks blow through money as fast as everyone else and still end up old and semi-impoverished.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 PM

103 posts, read 164,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed. If you save and invest the money you would have spent on having kids, you'll have the money for a nice nursing home when you're old. The problem is a lot of single childless folks blow through money as fast as everyone else and still end up old and semi-impoverished.
Um...hate to bring you this newsflash but nursing homes are FILLED with people who have children. This is the shame of America. Other countries cannot understand how children refuse to take care of their parents when they age.

From your remarks, I suspect you feel it's a legitimate reason for bringing children into this world. How DARE someone co-create life for their own selfish interests! And I guarantee that they are the first ones stuck in nursing homes because they were probably abusive to their kids when raising them. They just saw them as objects to make them look good and to be their nursemaids later on. How very vile.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yahoo!

Thoughts?
No, it's not inherently selfish and I don't understand why the media is making a big deal out of people who choose to not have kids. It's the people who can't even remotely afford to bring kids into the world but still have them anyway that I take issue with.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:31 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Yahoo!

Thoughts?
I can make argument that having kids is selfish (urge to have s-x is selfishness)

People complain about people that don't want to have kids.... but then complain about people that didn't want to have kids and had kids.
Those people (you know who I'm talking about) are just full of hate and hate anybody that is different than them.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 PM

49 posts, read 66,074 times
Quote:
Yahoo!

Thoughts?
No. What is selfish is having a child, knowing you don't like children and being one of those awful parents who takes their frustration out on the child.

I am always happy to hear people say they are choosing not to have kids because they aren't a children person. Good. Leave the kids to people with actual patience.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:33 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
Yawn, this again?

The only thing that I care about in the child/childfree debate, or the only thing that really angers me is those who have kids and then do not take care of them, abuse them. The idiot who starves their baby, the idiot who rapes their 2 year old, the idiot who goes on vacation and leaves their 4 year old to live on ketchup, the idiot who lock their child in a closet for years after repeated starvation and beatings, the idiot who beats their baby to death for crying... then goes and has another baby.

Funny thing is, I'm a CFer and I don't think parenthood is for me. But if I found myself pregnant and I couldn't abort, I'd step up and do a damn good job, and do my best to make sure my kid never knew otherwise. Just because I'm CF doesn't mean I'd be some kid-beating parent who neglected the kid. But yes, given the choice I would certainly rather not go the route because I still think it's for the best due to my health issues and the the fact that I don't feel it's the right path for me.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
No. Having kids when one cannot handle it financially, physically, or emotionally is selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy