Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I would say the main thing that blocks me from being all I want to be is discouragement, and by that I mean the feeling of discouragement that comes when I see how seemingly unfair and unpredictable life can be. For example, I decided to click over to CNN because I haven't listened to or read any news in more than a week and right off the bat I am hit with all manner of horror stories - a young twin girl who accidentally ate p-nut butter on the last day of summer camp and died from it -- an on-going manhunt for a California man who has apparently gone mad - he murdered a woman and her child and set their house on fire and took off with the other kid - the Dad is now on the news begging for her release. This was a "family friend" they'd known for years. Anytime you dare to take a look at the news it is more of this sort of insanity that permeates society and I find it deeply discouraging.
Obviously you are a kind and sensitive person. Darn it...wink.
(I see I ramble below...hope it's ok, I'm leaving it.)

I can only watch the first 10 min to catch basic world events, traffic, weather and then
I chose to switch channels.
News can be so awful, repeating and discussing
horrible events doesn't help...it cements it more in our minds.
So I stopped years ago, I had to for my own peace of mind...which I valued more than
the happenings in the World arena...and again 'other people's' stuff or karma or dysfunctions
acting themselves out robbing and raping...geeze!

I'm like a horse with blinders....I couldn't even read all your discriptions, I scanned and got the gist.
So I am selective as to what I will even let my friends tell me about awful things...
Don't wanna hear it...talk to the hand....give me a comedy anytime.
It helps a lot to keep happy....which is my priority now....not feelings of sadness, pain, discouragment, fear, worry...
Not anymore....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I would say the main thing that blocks me from being all I want to be is discouragement, and by that I mean the feeling of discouragement that comes when I see how seemingly unfair and unpredictable life can be. For example, I decided to click over to CNN because I haven't listened to or read any news in more than a week and right off the bat I am hit with all manner of horror stories - a young twin girl who accidentally ate p-nut butter on the last day of summer camp and died from it -- an on-going manhunt for a California man who has apparently gone mad - he murdered a woman and her child and set their house on fire and took off with the other kid - the Dad is now on the news begging for her release. This was a "family friend" they'd known for years. Anytime you dare to take a look at the news it is more of this sort of insanity that permeates society and I find it deeply discouraging.

You know that feeling you have... when you come across a piece of information that 3 people told you and you then think: everybody knows about it!

Well, usually, 3 people is not everybody, but for some uknown reason our brain thinks it's the whole world.

Bad things don't happen as often as they seem because news usually don't like to tell people about the mandane and normal and good.

So if you listen to news, you may get the feeling that all is bad. But percentage wise, it's most likely that MOST things are good and only a few things are bad.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:24 PM

LoveWisdom, you're right.....what are there on the news stories from
around the world?....Maybe 9 top stories?
Never thought of that...but there are acts of kindness a million every minute...
I think that is statistically correct...

Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
race, events, money, circumstances, luck, opportunity

Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm like a horse with blinders....I couldn't even read all your discriptions, I scanned and got the gist.
So I am selective as to what I will even let my friends tell me about awful things...
Don't wanna hear it...talk to the hand....give me a comedy anytime.
It helps a lot to keep happy....which is my priority now....not feelings of sadness, pain, discouragment, fear, worry...
Not anymore....
Hi MissHepburn,
I understand and there are times to put blinders on, to focus on loving self.
But because I know we are all connected, I feel obligated to love others, and that often involves understanding the pain that others needlessly experience... and opening my eyes and finding out about horrible things like how children are murdered - thousands every day - through torcherous means in abortion, or how people die of preventable causes - almost 1/7 of this world's population - due to extreme poverty & chronic hunger. I cannot think of things like this too often or else it just feels hopeless - I can only do so much & I have other responsibilities, but I can do SOMETHING, even if it is relatively small. And if everybody who could, did that little something - imagine what could be accomplished!

What blocks this world from being what it could be is often blinders - ignor-ance, choosing to be in the dark about things. Yet paradoxically, depression and hopelessness can also block it, so there must be a balance between loving self and loving others. As I learn to love myself more - to accept the sadness, pain, discouragement, fear & worry as part of being HUMAN, instead of fighting it or running from it, I am better able to understand, empathize with, and love (strive to do what is best for) others. Also, I become stronger, so that less and less is able to shake my sense of hope and peace.

Last edited by SuperSoul; 08-07-2013 at 10:41 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 PM

hi supersoul...good post.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
I tend to agree with the earlier posters that talked about competition, knowing the right people.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I tend to agree with the earlier posters that talked
about competition, knowing the right people.
I took knowing the right people by the horns....I spent a couple years going to the
best, classiest bars downtown esp on Fridays....I. met the movers and shakers
of the city...mayoral candidates invite me to their parties, columnists, lawyers, news anchor people
call me by my first name.
I know so so many restaurant owners (and their dirty laundry)...I get cold calls from
people for my artwork....why? Because I have it up now in major venues now by knowing the
Proprietors and asking them if they would like an 8 foot piece over their grand piano....
Now, I don't need to go out at all...but when I do ... wow, do people love me.

Gotta get out there and shake hands, be friendly, buy a drink or two, be complimentary...
Hmm, kinda like a politician....no one else is going to toot our horn, but ourselves...
Gotta take care of #1. Whether ur a Chiropractor or carpenter or real estate agent.
Get out there...to meet people...it's like a job...but not forever once you make your
connections.

(I'm a solution based person, hope it was ok to put my 2 cents in...I see
no competition as I said earlier...there is only me and me shining so people
want me and my work...not that boring other guy.)

Old 08-08-2013, 01:12 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,598 times
Interesting timing of this post... there is something I really wanted to have but my fear was stopping me. I really wanted to have a few people that I know that I could talk to about spiritual matters. But I don't know anyone. And I have a mild case of social anxiety. But the only way to have my dream come true is to go and meet people. And that is pretty scary.

But somehow (don't know how) I signed up on this website (meet up.com) and signed up to be an organizer of the group. So people are supposed to respond to you and say that they want to join your group and then you schedule a time to meet.

So my heart was pounding fast as I was clicking on sign up button. And then I couldn't bring myself to schedule something because it makes it more real. But then I did it. I told myself that nothing ever is going to happen if you don't act.

Someone who knows me well was looking at my feet and I said: what? He said: I am just checking if you're shaking in your boots.... I said: yes, what am I going to do with all the strangers that come to a meeting?

But I like being a teacher. It just doesn't go well with social anxiety.

Anyways, I thought I would share because I am surprised that I was capable of pushing myself to do this..

Old 08-20-2013, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 4,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What keeps you from being what you want to be?
"" """ """ """ from being what you are destined to become?
Why are you not as happy as you want to be right now?

What is in that "gap" as Wayne Dyer calls it, that keeps you from it?

As you think about it, recognize it and maybe write it out....how about
releasing it and letting it go? Seeing it as the paperchain that it is?
Break free from blocks and fears and doubts....just a thought.

I know I am complete bliss from head to toe....(because I have experienced
it in many transcendental moments)...why am I not constantly?
I'm in contentment and peace and happiness....but why not bliss, ecstacy?
Because I'm lazy? I don't sit more in deep meditation? I'm not a vegetarian anymore?
I'm distracted by this world...tho happy....that isn't walking Nirvana....what is blocking me....
That's my destiny.....so what is that "gap"?

That's what I mean....a conversation on letting go and going for it...whatever "it" may be
for you.

Thanx
The lack of money mostly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy