Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,441,216 times

Advertisements

Parenting is a momentous job that should be undertaken only by those who really want it. And, for whatever reason, I just never have.

Below the din of our parent-centric, kid-fixated, baby bump-patrolling culture, that shadowy faction known as the childless-by-choice (or "childfree" if you want to be PC about it) has been making throat-clearing noises. In the last year or so, we've seen a spate of articles and books on the subject of not wanting kids.

Parenthood optional - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,331,245 times
We certainly don't need more people in the world...maybe we could use more in the west due to such low birth rates and aging populations...but no biggie.

I always thought of it like...the human species will be more likely to survive with fewer of us having offspring, so it's not like it's a duty....

Even if nobody had any more children and the human species peacefully went extinct...why's that such a big deal?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:06 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,067,343 times
Every time someone asks me why I never wanted kids, I reply with two reasons: 1. I just don't understand why anyone would want to bring a child into this world we live in today. I really don't get it. Maybe they think they can raise the child to be someone who can change things? and 2. There's enough people in this world.

There was this report a friend was telling me about that discussed the biggest problems our planet faces. Guess what #1 was?

Overpopulation.

These people that have kids because they think it's 'what you're supposed to do' or 'necessary so I'm not alone in old age' or (my personal favorite) 'to get more money from the government' are all much more selfish IMHO than those of us who choose not to have them at all.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,416,640 times
Debunk the Overpopulation Myth | Population Research Institute

Old 08-10-2013, 12:33 PM

25,683 posts, read 21,849,661 times
I don't think the majority of people have children because it is what they think they are supposed to do or a necessary thing to do. I think many people want to have a family with children. They truly desire to raise children. It is a fondness for the idea of family, not so much children but the total package.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,035,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Parenting is a momentous job that should be undertaken only by those who really want it. And, for whatever reason, I just never have.

Below the din of our parent-centric, kid-fixated, baby bump-patrolling culture, that shadowy faction known as the childless-by-choice (or "childfree" if you want to be PC about it) has been making throat-clearing noises. In the last year or so, we've seen a spate of articles and books on the subject of not wanting kids.

Parenthood optional - latimes.com
Well, since I am blissfully childfree, it's not news to me. Nor is it news to the 46 percent of women with advanced college degrees who would rather have a childfree existence.

Our biology is not our destiny and there is a direct correlation between the education level and likelihood of not having children. Likewise more than 60 percent of unwed mothers (if that term is even used any more), have a high school education or less.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-12-2013, 05:15 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,211,232 times
I don't feel that "having it all means not having children" makes sense (either that, or I definitely don't agree)...not that I care if someone wants children or not...personal choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy