U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 01:23 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,732,392 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if this is philosopy or science or belief... So I decided to post it here.

There is this belief that everything is one energy.

I see it as a living substance of some sort of which living things can be made. And everything (like all humans for example and all plant life for example and all our cars and furniture and toys) is made out of this energy/particles.

Energy cannot be removed, it just changes shapes/forms. So, some of the energy is in human bodies. Some of this energy is in plants, some in the rocks, some in the plastic toys and so on. Some of that energy is in our wooden structures and all the things we own.

So, from some perspective, it's like this living energy has morphed itself into different forms and shapes and things.

When two people come together to make a baby, some of their energy/particles gets transferred into the mother's womb. Then a mother takes more energy from the environment (by consuming food) and that energy transforms into the growing cells of the baby.

Someone told me that a cell could not grow if there was nothing to grow it out of. The cells don't divide and replicate magically. It's the energy consumed by mother which gets transformed into these cells which "grow" into "a baby" form.

So it's like the energy from the environment gets shaped into the baby. And also this same energy gets shaped into various things we own.

It was an interesting thought. Everything is the same energy, just shaped into different things. But that also means that our waste, disposed properly, would be transformed back into useful energy.

But we have landfills filled with garbage. It's like a potential energy being wasted...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,103,767 times
There are places that gather the methane from landfills to use as energy.

---

As far as the rest of your thoughts on energy, I'm far from a scientist, but you seem to be reducing everything; chemistry, biology and physics all under the same umbrella, and I don't think it works that way.

I think the concept of energy is inherent in most if not all of our activities, but I don't think it is the sole reason for everything, regardless if it is in everything.

---

In a philosophical sense, sure assuming there was a prime mover of such energy, then it would follow that we are following the wave/or are in the wake of that initial "push" of energy. And along with that assumption, it would again follow that this wave is deterministic in nature...

Or is it????

Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
There are places that gather the methane from landfills to use as energy.

---

As far as the rest of your thoughts on energy, I'm far from a scientist, but you seem to be reducing everything; chemistry, biology and physics all under the same umbrella, and I don't think it works that way.

I think the concept of energy is inherent in most if not all of our activities, but I don't think it is the sole reason for everything, regardless if it is in everything.

---

In a philosophical sense, sure assuming there was a prime mover of such energy, then it would follow that we are following the wave/or are in the wake of that initial "push" of energy. And along with that assumption, it would again follow that this wave is deterministic in nature...

Or is it????

It was just a thought... I don't know either. I heard that it's the organization of things that makes consciousness possible, not the particles themselves. So I guess we were made out of that stuff, but it's the process by which all those particles (and other stuff) hold together that makes life possible.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:53 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,261,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
But that also means that our waste, disposed properly, would be transformed back into useful energy.
Our biomass is. How do you think we fertilize our food? Other problems are being worked on by Environmental Engineers and believe me, they are doing the very best job they can with the funding they have available to them.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 AM

15,362 posts, read 12,119,741 times
A thought? A belief?

I have experienced it...God is the Great Shapeshifter.

(Sorry, I said the word God in Philosophy.)

Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
A thought? A belief?

I have experienced it...God is the Great Shapeshifter.

(Sorry, I said the word God in Philosophy.)
I just heard this idea very recently, so still trying to make sense out of it.

I am curious though in what way you have experienced it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy