U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 12:43 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,548,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I'm pretty hard and cold hearted about that. I usually just tell them I gave at the office.

Most of them are scam artist, druggie, or alcoholics.
No, you'll find that more of them are mentally ill than are scam artists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 PM

410 posts, read 434,805 times
there are a few homeless guys that look in the dumpster for pop bottles at the apartment building i live at. i usually leave my empties on the side of the dumpster for them. i usually give money to the homeless because i believe if i don't then something bad is going to happen to me.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:43 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,875,311 times
I don't give a cent. Primarily because I don't carry even one cent. I never have loose change, not even a dollar. Ever. But I do have a credit card accepted everywhere and thats all I carry and use for purchases. As well as a small flip phone in the event of trouble.

I haven't actually used cash for anything in many years.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,949,420 times
I will bring a beggar a hamburger but not giving them money so they can go out and get liquor and drugs.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:34 PM

3,935 posts, read 5,589,864 times
We get backpacks and put different things in them, depending on the weather. In the winter, its hats and gloves, toothbrushes/toothpaste, washcloths, drinks, packaged food like nuts, seeds, jerky, a few dollars, socks. I plan on putting the addresses of some homeless shelters on slips of paper and putting those in there. Homeless shelters need clothes too. They always appreciate getting them.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:26 PM

21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times
I usually give a couple bucks but insist on a dance or a song first.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:47 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Its too easy to get hand outs from the government, local charities and other organizations.
If you think it is easy, go try it. I know a disabled woman with an 8-year-old daughter who has slept (both of them) out on the streets. She is an intelligent and resourceful woman, and it is nearly impossible to even get something to eat when you need it.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:08 AM

9,444 posts, read 10,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you think it is easy, go try it. I know a disabled woman with an 8-year-old daughter who has slept (both of them) out on the streets. She is an intelligent and resourceful woman, and it is nearly impossible to even get something to eat when you need it.
Most of these people refused to see it coming months ahead of time. Homelessness is not caused by a single event that happens to a family but a series of sequential events. Many times a single event can start the dominoes falling but welfare is there keep all the dominoes from falling. Some people are too proud to beg from the government but find themselves at the mercy of strangers. I get more gratification from giving my older cars to a struggling family to keep them a float. I think giving a person on the street a $100.00 bill would do more for the person giving than the person receiving considering how money it takes to get by. Giving to beggers and homeless involves too many contradictions.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:10 AM

642 posts, read 864,269 times
Depends on my mood and if I have any change in my car...

Old 11-16-2013, 05:03 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,428,918 times
I give to the homeless and needy ALL the time . . . through my taxpayer dollars. And I DO support our taxpayer dollars going to help the homeless and needy. That is, I don't fight such use of our taxpayer dollars (unlike much of the right-leaning end of the political spectrum) but instead wholly support it.

SO, if said persons begging for handouts in the world out there are truly homeless or truly down on their luck, then they should go to all the many organizations that use our taxpayer dollars (as well as private contributions or foundation grants) to get the help they say they need. This can include government poverty programs, meal programs, food banks, soup kitchens, shelters, temporary or transitional or permanent housing programs, job training programs, drug and alcohol treatment programs, residential halfway houses, mental health programs and psychiatric institutes, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum. And groups of them can pool their resources together and share apartments or homes to get by . . . while they are working on changing their life situation for the better. Or if they find that they are in, say, New York City, and can't work there or it is too expensive there but they would be able to work and live more viably in, say, Memphis, TN or in Albany, NY or Portland, ME or <wherever else they have job opportunities or drug or alcohol or psychiatric treatment options or low or lower cost of living>, they should take it upon themselves to RE-LOCATE. It doesn't have to be a permanent decision; they may be able to move back to where they ideally want to be (e.g., New York City) once they get their life situation together.

And, most importantly, I will NOT give money to strangers as I am not a mindreader and can't know if these individuals are being truthful or not or are just scam artists or just simply choose to make a way-of-life out of being parasitic types who want to spend their lives living off of the generosity of others rather than aiming to be a responsible, productive, useful member of society. Hence, they should present themselves to these helping organizations, as well, as a form of accountability. That is, let the social service organizations verify their storylines and see if they are truthful or if instead they are putting on a false front. Let them make themselves answerable and accountable.

I myself, in my life span thus far, have been or had been poor and even homeless and transient. Yet I never took it upon myself to turn this into a way-of-life and never, ever begged strangers for handouts. I took advantage of the varied organizations and programs (public and private) meant to help persons in need and pulled myself out of this situation. I lived in whatever kind of housing situation I had to live in to get by (i.e., in rooming houses, in apartments or houses sharing with a group of other persons or living communally), got myself into a state job training program, pursued trade school and post-secondary higher education, worked all sorts of unskilled manual jobs and then moved into lower-level office work (such as a records clerk in the court system), and then advanced into more professional-like work (e.g., editorial assistant for a publishing company, tech support engineer for a computer equipment manufacturer, substitute teacher in the public schools) and yet still, at times, if they job market got tough (e.g., layoffs, downsizing), would take WHATEVER jobs I could get to get by (e.g., parking attendant, courier, waiter, construction work, manual labor temp, office temp, newspaper delivery . . . anything that could support me). Even holding down up to 3 jobs at a time (one full-time and two part-time). In other words, I didn't ever resort to becoming a beggar or panhandler. And I wasn't foolish enough, in my entire life, to ever get caught up in the world of drugs or alcohol. What possible good can come of that? You don't mess with the temple of your being (which is your body and your brain). There is absolutely no good to come out of that path in life.

IN SUMMARY: The care and aid of the truly needy and deserving should be a collective responsibility shouldered by ALL of us. And the way that we do this is through our taxpayer dollars. So NO, I do NOT and will NOT give handouts to perfect strangers giving me a story line or a simple request for spare change or spare bills.

Last edited by UsAll; 11-16-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy