U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:31 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,863,741 times

Advertisements

The invisible homeless. Info about ONE camp in ONE city at ONE point in time.

Video link about the Nicklesville homeless camp in Seattle:

Grim winter for children living in Nickelsville homeless camp | KING5.com Seattle

article:
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/artic...le-2255880.php

Neighborhood discussion about kids at NV:

http://westseattleblog.com/forum/top...t-nickelsville

Last edited by west seattle gal; 08-23-2013 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 05:49 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,863,741 times
About panhandlers in my city:

How do panhandlers spend your money? - seattlepi.com

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...7&slug=1509582

Podcast:
http://kuow.org/post/giving-panhandlers

Haven't seen it, looks interesting:
http://cardboardmovie.com/pr-may-2012/

Old 08-24-2013, 04:07 AM

484 posts, read 1,377,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughandlove View Post
I have been homeless. It started the morning of my 18th birthday. I was kicked out of my foster home with no money and nowhere to go. I had no job or work experience because I moved around so much. It was a miracle I even graduated from high school. So there I was with all my belongings in black trash bags and nothing to do but ask strangers for money.
You were kicked out of a foster home. Sounds like you earned your way to homelessness. Mind telling us why they kicked you out? Or are you afraid we'd all lose sympathy for your plight if we learned all the bad things you've done?

Homeless people don't deserve pity. Behind their sorry faces is a history of mischief, bad decisions and crime. Like I said, they're all ex-cons, addicts or fakes

Old 08-24-2013, 04:42 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,956,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
You were kicked out of a foster home. Sounds like you earned your way to homelessness. Mind telling us why they kicked you out? Or are you afraid we'd all lose sympathy for your plight if we learned all the bad things you've done?

Homeless people don't deserve pity. Behind their sorry faces is a history of mischief, bad decisions and crime. Like I said, they're all ex-cons, addicts or fakes
He turned 18. THat is all. He aged out of the system.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:08 AM

688 posts, read 554,236 times
Quote:

I get the impression you're one of those people who'd find an excuse not to an angel a dollar for a ride back to heaven if she asked.

Some of the people who've posted are naive or lack empathy; maybe even both, but I think most are just trying to justify being cheap.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:09 AM

19,185 posts, read 15,058,175 times
When I couldn't find a job, I joined the military as many people do so that would be a choice for those that are just down on their luck versus those with addictions and mental health issues. A lot of homeless don't seem to want to have to live by the rules that the rest of us live by so that we can survive and not end up on the street. If these people refuse services, giving them money for their drugs and alcohol won't be helping them.

They are "working" you. Begging is a job for them. Isn't it remarkable that they feel no shame in begging? I think so. Doesn't that say something about them? I think it does. This is a way of life for them. They don't want to follow any rules or have a particular job so they would like you to finance their lifestyle.

It is a bad situation with foster children that age out of the system especially when they have foster parents that don't help to prepare them by coming up with some ideas for that aging out. So many foster families are in it for money and when the check stops, they are done. In KS, they contract out services to the lowest bidders. If you call about adopting, good luck with that because keeping them in the system is work count. Case managers are assigned but most are useless which I am sure is the problem with some of the homeless (not simply beggars which can be a whole different element) since they are loaded down with cases and services are rationed. But, I'm still not supporting anyone that doesn't work other than mandatory deductions as long as jobs are available up the street. I've done many jobs that I did not find desirable.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:34 AM

13,698 posts, read 13,637,452 times
Quote:

Wow. Just wow. I feel dumber for having read that. Do you know nothing about how the foster care system works? Please go back and hide under your rock so the adults can have a conversation, kiddo.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:58 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,609,745 times
I live in a nice area that has homeless people and I don't mind if they ask for change and whatever they do with it. What bothers me is I go out of my way to be in a nice area. I actually live here, I'm not just a tourist... I don't owe anyone any money or pity when I'm just stepping outside to grab a jug of milk. So for me sadly unless the homeless person did something particularly entertaining I can not support their lifestyle.

They are frankly the only potentially dangerous people in the neighborhood and it's made possible by those who give them money.

Btw I've heard of a lot of homeless people who can't manage to live off of begging here and I don't see regulars for more than a week. So thankfully no one else humors them begging in people's neighborhoods either.

For all those in the suburbs who would give money to a homeless person. Ask yourself, would you do it if they hung outside your garage everyday because they know you have a buck to spare and will give it?

Old 08-24-2013, 04:40 PM

2,612 posts, read 2,312,557 times
The only beggar I gave money to had a sign saying, "I bet all of your loose change, you can't hit me!" I grabbed a handful of change and chucked it at him.

The rest of the beggars I see don't get a cent from me. Especially the so-called Vietnam or Iraq War vets. Those people are mostly phonies and con artists who aren't actually homeless.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:03 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,486,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Great thread. I ONLY give money when I see a VISIBLE disability which impedes one from working like if someone is blind etc. I'm often annoyed by my SO as he gives everyone who begs some $$$ & IMO if you are able bodied you sure can work.

If I don't see a visible disability, I MIGHT give food eg coffee & donuts but no $$$, last thing I want is to support a drug habit.

Anyone else feel like trhis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy