Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:27 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
Having been subjected to those creeps in Seattle for 11 years, I am curious... how many of them would you estimate are running away from abusive households? I know there's a shelter specifically for such youths on Capitol Hill, but I've never had a sense of whether it's some of 'em, a lot of 'em, or what.

What I do believe is that most of the white kid homeless in Seattle are junkies. Whereas most of the Alaskan Native American homeless are drunks. I don't have much opinion on black homeless in Seattle because they didn't tend to hang out in Capitol Hill so much. The white kid junkies were common when I first moved into the neighborhood in 1995.
I was living in the university district and frequented Capitol Hill and downtown. By my count, not a lot of the transient kids came from what I would call abusive households. Great situations? No way, but not abusive households. The majority of them were your typical dropouts, but I suppose it could be argued that any environment that creates a chronic underachiever (like all those kids were) is a toxic one.

You're right on about the lot of them being junkies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
I give more in the winter. I gave a guy a 50 last week, his eyes almost popped out. It was so cold that day and he looked like he was just down on his luck.
When I pulled up I had it folded into fourths and just had the 50 showing below my thumb, I lowered my arm below the window and handed to him and said Merry Christmas.
He was so grateful, I said dont say the amount I don't want my son to hear and get me in trouble. lol
Made me feel good and I'm sure he could use it.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
If I donate, it is to the homeless mission here --- but that's not as necessary anymore because they took on a new outlook. They now have jobs for the mission residents. They make furniture. They feel that work skills are better than handouts, they help these people get back on their feet and also staying busy helps them a whole lot more. I may buy some furniture from them now.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:15 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,322 times
A few years ago when I was living in Baltimore, I just came from Lexington Market an dI had some food with me that I was gonna take home with me when a kid, who could not have been older than 19, was crying and begging me for any type of food be cause he hadnt eaten in 2 days so I gave him a lot of what I had and I was kinda traumatized by that.He was only a few years younger than me and people in America should not be hungry. That's what my philosophy is. So from that point on I always give even when not asked. I hate suffering

Old 12-20-2013, 07:54 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,462,189 times
I currently live in Iowa and don't run into many homeless here. I think I've only been asked for money 3 times in my 12 years here. However, when I went to college in Honolulu until 2000, I got asked for money by beggars and panhandlers all the time. I would always give whatever I could spare (usually a dollar or two) without thinking much about what the money might be spent on. I figured it was a small price to pay to live in paradise, and I really cared about homelessness as an issue at the time. I thought it was so unfair that I had a roof over my head and they did not.

As I've gotten older and went through life's struggles, I've become more frugal, hardened, and cynical. I take trips to Chicago frequently and whenever I'm approached now I politely refuse. I don't want to part with my limited money, don't want it spent on alcohol or drugs, or given to someone who could make more than me in a year via panhandling. I did give one guy $2 for a sandwich on Thanksgiving, but that's it. While I still would like to see something done about the homeless problem, I understand now that the few bucks that I used to give didn't make a difference.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:53 AM

321 posts, read 532,100 times
I have no idea if Baltimore is tougher to get food than other cities. Seattle, Asheville, Raleigh, Savannah, Charleston, I know that people can and do get food. A person may show up who doesn't know the ropes yet, and may act very desperate for food, but it's not rocket science to make the rounds of the Churches, ask other homeless, visit the DSS, call the 211 services hotline, etc. I've yet to see a Salvation Army that doesn't offer "daily bread," for instance. Could be petrified bread, if you were hungry you'd eat it.

It is possible that a 19 year old might have recently fallen into homelessness and had no clue whatsoever about how to respond to his new circumstances. But I really wouldn't worry about such a person remaining unfed, unless I had reason to believe that the food situation in a particular US city was particularly grim. In the cities I named, even if he was totally foolish and totally hungry for a few days, it would motivate him to "get on the stick" and solve his problem. Well, unless he was emotionally despondent enough to immediately commit suicide, but I think most human beings have a survival instinct that kicks in.

I mean, heck, I've occasionally seen people hard dive into trash cans, really rummaging around to the bottom of the barrel to find stuff. Not like the dainty top-of-can picking for perfectly wrapped / fresh leftovers that I've been known to do. I figure people going through all that griming and pawing around, are either really hungry, or deranged. Or maybe neuromuscular problems, hadn't thought of that before.

Last edited by bvanevery; 12-21-2013 at 01:01 AM..

Old 12-21-2013, 04:04 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Ask zero questions, and help when I can.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:32 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I don't have a "policy" it depends on the situation. I usually give something if I walk past the person. I once gave $1.00 to a man who told me straight out that he was going to buy booze with it, because I liked that he was honest.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:19 PM

544 posts, read 610,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't have a "policy" it depends on the situation. I usually give something if I walk past the person. I once gave $1.00 to a man who told me straight out that he was going to buy booze with it, because I liked that he was honest.
People don't understand. So what if they buy booze with it. What are they going to do if you give them $50? What if they make $200 in a week from hand outs one week? Is that going to change their life? No. They need a lot more help. Like haircuts, a place to sleep, a shower, some mental health care for some, and then a job.

Since hardly no one is willing or able to help that much, let them at least get drunk so they can ease the pain.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:03 PM

213 posts, read 376,982 times
Yes, I give.........by paying my taxes!

They can receive benefits by way of welfare, SNAP, heating assistance, OBAMACARE, etc.

No, I don't supplement what I give them just because they beg on the street. That would be double-dipping.

Absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy