Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperoto View Post
yea, and the biggest thieves of retail and businesses are the employees themselves. So everyone should stop hiring people and get rid of as many employees as possible because some employees steal.

If we applied your logic to treat everyone like a criminal or a lazy bum because of other people, well we'd be a heartless society.

Good thing not everyone thinks like you do.

I'd bet there are many homeless in your area that have had a higher IQ then you. Definitely a lot more class, that's for sure.
They 1000% do not have a higher IQ than me. I work, I graduated college, I have healthy hobbies. I continue to study to make myself better. Beggars are a drag on society and they know it. They want easy money to buy their next high and that is it. They are not allowed to haunt the intersections of Tampa anymore thank goodness.

You clearly have a very warped idea of what class is. In my mind (and most people's mind) class does not equal a drunk dressed in rags defecating on the street and bothering people for money.

My city was overrun with these people. Thousands moved here because of the warm winters. It made me have such a dislike for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Even for professional beggars, panhandling is a full-time job, and they only thing they are good at. I probably wouldn't hire one to do any serious work for me, so what is to be done? They are no worse than telemarketers, and at least not promising me I will get something in return.

I judge each case on first glance. Nothing for those who look like it will be spent on drugs or alcohol. I have sympathy for them, too, but another couple of bucks will do nothing to improve their condition. A guy at the next table in Burger King once asked me if I was going to eat all my fries, and I went and bought him a meal deal. An old woman in the supermarket had more in her basket than her food stamps would cover, so she started setting things aside. I gave the cashier my credit card and told her to put the overage on my card.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
They 1000% do not have a higher IQ than me. I work, I graduated college, I have healthy hobbies. I continue to study to make myself better. Beggars are a drag on society and they know it. They want easy money to buy their next high and that is it. They are not allowed to haunt the intersections of Tampa anymore thank goodness.

You clearly have a very warped idea of what class is. In my mind (and most people's mind) class does not equal a drunk dressed in rags defecating on the street and bothering people for money.

My city was overrun with these people. Thousands moved here because of the warm winters. It made me have such a dislike for them.
You're a drag on society. You sound like a self centered a--hole.

Why don't you utilize your high IQ and understand the true causes of homelessness: lack of care, unemployment, lack of affordable housing. Or would you rather remain a judgmental prick?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:57 AM

9 posts, read 10,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

There you go again, you're stereotyping 100% of homeless people.

I gave you an example, that the biggest thieves of businesses are the employees themselves. But you still see people hiring new people every day even though they could steal from them.

If you see the same person or group always working at one intersection or something and they smell like alcohol, then yea, by all means don't give them money.

But there are good people that have mental health issues and other issues that end up homeless, or just going through a very rough time.

Don't judge them all the same. You don't know their life story, and yes, I bet some of them actually have a higher IQ then you, and obviously some have a lot more class.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
You're a drag on society. You sound like a self centered a--hole.

Why don't you utilize your high IQ and understand the true causes of homelessness: lack of care, unemployment, lack of affordable housing. Or would you rather remain a judgmental prick?
I would much rather remain a prick. Before they were banned, for years I would drive by the same beggars on their turf (they will violently defend their street corner) and they would dance and smile and wave and do anything for a buck. These people were not mentally or physically handicapped. One of the ones I would drive by everyday PRETENDED to be handicapped and I literally found him in a dive bar one night playing pool perfectly fine. I don't buy these people's acts for a second. Even with all the data out there clearly some of you still do.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperoto View Post
There you go again, you're stereotyping 100% of homeless people.

I gave you an example, that the biggest thieves of businesses are the employees themselves. But you still see people hiring new people every day even though they could steal from them.

If you see the same person or group always working at one intersection or something and they smell like alcohol, then yea, by all means don't give them money.

But there are good people that have mental health issues and other issues that end up homeless, or just going through a very rough time.

Don't judge them all the same. You don't know their life story, and yes, I bet some of them actually have a higher IQ then you, and obviously some have a lot more class.
Your example doesn't make any sense when trying to make it relevant to beggars. A thief is not similar to a beggar and if the thief gets caught then they will be disciplined. You need to take that risk because you need employees to operate your store. Every store factors in thievery into their budgets because they know it will happen. By giving beggars money you deliberately in able them. Not exactly the same thing as hiring an unlikely thief.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Old story of a Blind man with a white red tipped cane standing against a wall while holding a cup in his hand.

He would be there all day and one person saw him leave moving his cane back and forth until a couple of blocks away.... then got into a late model Lincoln and drove away.......yep they are out there.

Hate seeing a so to believed VET with his cardboard sign "Need help...will work for food" while smoking a cigarette.

SO WHAT!.... I'm a WW11 and Korea Vet and do not need help. I went to school....earned a degree and was a business owner for 36 yrs.......then again I could use a New car....will have to find a good corner not being used. (tongue in cheek)

Old 10-13-2013, 07:55 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Old story of a Blind man with a white red tipped cane standing against a wall while holding a cup in his hand.

He would be there all day and one person saw him leave moving his cane back and forth until a couple of blocks away.... then got into a late model Lincoln and drove away.......yep they are out there.

Hate seeing a so to believed VET with his cardboard sign "Need help...will work for food" while smoking a cigarette.

SO WHAT!.... I'm a WW11 and Korea Vet and do not need help. I went to school....earned a degree and was a business owner for 36 yrs.......then again I could use a New car....will have to find a good corner not being used. (tongue in cheek)
There was a woman who used to stand in the PATH well at the World Trade Center in downtown NYC with her white red-tipped cane and staring off into space, holding her cup. She did OK down there. Then a few people saw her blocks away, cane under her arm, walking along just fine and able to see where she was going. Just another scammer.

Fast forward a couple of years later, office relocated to another part of the city, and the first day I see a person with a white red-tipped cane and roll my eyes and think "oh, here's another one pretending to be blind..." Then I noticed there was another person with the cane on the same block, and then I started to see more and wondered if maybe these people were actually blind and not beggars.

Then I noticed the school for the blind on the corner. LOL.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,804 times
I carry $5 bills in my car ashtray and hand them out whenever I like the look of the panhandler at intersections, especially during the holidays when i feel particularly fortunate.

I hope they get a nice cold beer if it's a hot day in SoFla.

I only do this outside my own neighborhood, though.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
I never give to bums, panhandlers, down and outers, and beggars, Its too easy to get hand outs from the government, local charities and other organizations. Many people give because it makes them feel good and these people depend on that. Perhaps it is a symbiotic relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy