U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:18 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,059,390 times

Advertisements

I'm not a parent yet, but looking 16 years into the future, this is what I imagine I would think:

Pot x 100. Especially if it is only a few times a month. 1/2 a pack to 1 pack a day is a lot of cigarettes for anyone to be smoking, let alone a young kid. How would a kid that age find enough time in the day to smoke 10-15 cigarettes? They obviously cannot smoke much at school, so they must just be chain smoking once they get off campus. And if you smoke that much as a kid, you are looking at a steep uphill battle against the addiction. 2-packs a day is in that kid's near future. I smoked a bit in college and after college, but the most I ever got up to was maybe half a pack a day, and it was not a huge issue to quit (though I do bum a friend's cig here and there).

I would prefer my 16 to not smoke pot at all, but just a few times a month isn't bad. I smoked pot at a much higher frequency when I was in high school (3-4 times a week), and while I grew up just fine I do regret it a bit. Mostly because I think of all the times I came a millisecond away from getting busted, which could have significantly effected my future (expulsions, etc.).

I would also prefer my kid to be smoking pot a few times a month to getting drunk every weekend (especially because teens tend to drink and drive a lot).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,357,917 times
The marijuana itself may not kill... it's all the stuff happening in the background involving it that kills. Gangs, drug dealers, cartels...

If your kids are experimenting with it that means that they're involved with someone who's involved with others who are bad news and that's the path you don't want your kids going down.

I was surrounded by pot especially in college... and although I tried it I had no desire to continue to want to do it because I was always around those who did it all the time and they were not people I wanted to be like. Lazy, dirty, dishevled.... and like I said, I didn't like the people that they were involved with who supplied it... so... no thanks.

Last edited by psurangers11; 08-20-2013 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: wanted to add something

Old 08-20-2013, 12:36 PM

17,631 posts, read 11,074,066 times
Tough question, but if I have to pick one it is smoking cigarettes daily. Every time I see a young kid with one in his fingers I cringe. I feel like saying "You have no idea the life you are committing yourself to." You want to shake some sense into them, but everyone has to learn for themselves, I guess.

My Dad died when I was ll, he was 47, from heart problems. He smoked since he was 13. I remember him trying to play ball with me and having to sit down because his chest hurt. He would tell me repeatedly, "I don't care if you are 50 years old, if I EVER see you with a cigarette in your hands I am going to break your fingers !" I never have smoked and neither have my two Sons.......thanks Dad for the good lesson.

Don

Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,996,371 times
I vote neither, of course. Do I want my (real) 16-year-old son to begin a habit that will likely take his life early or begin a habit that will suck the motivation out of his daily life? (I'm a teacher, and I have learned this to be true with a high percentage of teens.)

If it were my friend, I'd prefer the marijuana usage. With my son, I'll knock a knot on his head if he picks up either.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,378,233 times
Cigarettes.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:14 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,059,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
The marijuana itself may not kill... it's all the stuff happening in the background involving it that kills. Gangs, drug dealers, cartels...

If your kids are experimenting with it that means that they're involved with someone who's involved with others who are bad news and that's the path you don't want your kids going down.

I was surrounded by pot especially in college... and although I tried it I had no desire to continue to want to do it because I was always around those who did it all the time and they were not people I wanted to be like. Lazy, dirty, dishevled.... and like I said, I didn't like the people that they were involved with who supplied it... so... no thanks.
LOL not really. Maybe in the inner city but even then... unlikely. I didn't grow up in a lily-white town, and in fact it has quite a large gang problem - but I never had to deal with cartel members or gangs when procuring marijuana. Most kids just buy it from their friend or some other kid at their school.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 PM

4,805 posts, read 9,401,632 times
No 16 yr old of mine will do either as at that age.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,454,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I vote neither, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
All are poison to the body!
Irrelevant.

Which one would bother you more?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,587,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Good luck with that! 16 year olds are pretty much going to try what they want to try. You can't stop them, but you can try to instill a sense of self-preservation and moderation and hope they'll make good choices. Lock them in their room if you want, but eventually they're going to get out and rebel twice over (judging from personal experience, anyway).

Old 08-20-2013, 04:24 PM

4,805 posts, read 9,401,632 times
As a parent of young kids....the question is posed to me as if either choice is acceptable for a 16 yr old to do. Thus the premise to me is wrong. If the question was which of the two would make you most angry, etc then the premise of the question was changed so that both are bad to start. To me picking one is like given a choice of which disease would you prefer your 16 yr old to have.... diabetes or leukemia. I just picked two off the top of my head. Certainly one may have more severe and immediate consequence, but as a parent of course I dont want any. Thus I am not going to pick one over the other.

I grew up in a dry county in Kentucky and thus saw no alcohol except on TV til college and to this day I dont drink as I never grew up with the idea that is acceptable to do so. But that is my opinion and I have many friends that do drink socially but I just choose not too. I dont judge them on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or