U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
We're not asking what is acceptable; we're asking which one would bother you more. One of them HAS to bother you more - even if it is just an itty bitty bit more.
Sorry, they are equally distasteful choices, for various reasons.

Not choosing one or the other IS a choice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM

866 posts, read 887,351 times
Marijuana is a hardcore drug. Now a days kids are cooking pot up in rusty spoons and mainline-ing it with shared needles that they find in dumpsters behind methadone clinics. I am privy to this rock-solid information because I get my news from Dr. Phil and Barbara Walters.

Okay, just kidding...The above is a load of b.s. Of course the cigarettes are much worse. However the one problem I would have with my young-adult son/daughter using marijuana on a weekly basis would be the possible legal consequences...Albeit a remote chance, there does exist the chance that the son/daughter could be pulled over by an overzealous cop on his/her way home from purchasing/using marijuana; and for whatever reason said cop could demand to have k-9 dispatched to search the vehicle. Whatever the situation, there is always the chance that the son/daughter could get a felony charge and that could change his/her life forever.

So in terms of health, the marijuana is much better. In terms of jeopardizing his/her future via tainting his/her record with a criminal offense, the choice is obvious.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 PM

929 posts, read 1,874,447 times
Both of these choices would bother me. They sure would not be doing either in my presence.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:53 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,455,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry, they are equally distasteful choices, for various reasons.

Not choosing one or the other IS a choice too.
Sorry, no it isn't (unless they bother you EXACTLY the same, to the 100000th significant digit).

Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM

16,017 posts, read 17,803,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Both. Pot would bother me more though, starting that young runs the risk of cannabis psychosis. While cancer is scary, they can cure it if caught early enough. Nothing they can do about cannabis psychosis. This question wasn't very much fun btw.
The problem is that you don't know whether canabis caused the problem or whether the problem cause the marijuana usage. Cigarettes are more dangerous to teens health. Of course, more research needs to be done on Pot, but there is evidence of beneficial as well as harmful effects. While we don't know exactly what it does in healthy people, the evidence for its medical used is being confirmed in many cases.

The Marijuana-Psychosis Connection Goes Both Ways In Teens - Forbes

Quote:
In the new study, the authors followed over 2,100 Dutch teens, asking them questions about their mental health when they were 14, 16, and 19. The teens were quizzed about their pot use over the years and tested for “psychosis vulnerability,” which included questions about their social relationships and feelings of loneliness, attention, and thought problems (for example, “seeing things that other people do not see”). Variables like alcohol and tobacco use, as well as their parents’ mental health and families’ socioeconomic status, were removed so as not to influence the results.

The team discovered that in fact the marijuana-psychosis link worked both ways: Kids who at 16 smoked pot were more likely to have psychotic symptoms at 19, and kids who at 16 showed psychotic symptoms were more likely to smoke pot at 19.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,541,997 times
Quote:
One of them HAS to bother you more - even if it is just an itty bitty bit more.
No. One of them does not have to bother me more.

(If you're spending money on either...... somewhere there is a kid who ISN'T. He's the guy doing well in school and has coin to spend on entertainment so he's not hanging out on Parenting forums because he's broke. He's also your competition for getting into a good college and after that landing a serious job. Guess who wins?)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-20-2013 at 07:54 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Sorry, no it isn't (unless they bother you EXACTLY the same, to the 100000th significant digit).
Okay then, they bother me EXACTLY the same.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,455,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

(If you're spending money on either...... somewhere there is a kid who ISN'T. He's the guy doing well in school and has coin to spend on entertainment so he's not hanging out on Parenting forums because he's broke. He's also your competition for getting into a good college and after that landing a serious job. Guess who wins?)
That's easy, the C student partier. We all know

The A students

end up working for

the C students.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:00 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,541,997 times
Quote:
That's easy, the C student partier.

No. They are the ones Mom and Dad pay the rehab bill for.

There is a huge difference between the 16-year old C student who will be a success and the 16-year old C student partier. HUGE.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:02 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,410,967 times
Quote:
Everything else (school, friends, money, hygiene, home behavior, employment) is the same, which would bother you more?

Smokes 1/2 to 1 pack of cigarettes daily OR
Smokes pot three or four times a month on weekends?

cigs, but if a person somehow felt better from cigs than pot, I'm not sure. I would want to be sure they understood the true relevant risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or