U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:05 PM

4,805 posts, read 9,403,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
When I asked the question, I was valuing more the health (physical and psychological) consequences. I didn't think too much of the legal consequences because they are practically in the noise. However, a person who continues to smoke pot may have employment problems (drug testing) and security clearance problems (polygraph).

Personally weed doesn't bother me as much as cigs and it would bother me more if my kid watched 20 hours of TV a week than smoked pot once a month.
If it was a just health perspective then the question you asked is fine... but the issue I think for me you put an age on it....16 yr old is too young to regularly....smoke anything or drink alcohol. That is my issue with the question. If you ask from a strictly health perspective and assume we are talking about adults, then that is an entirely different matter. At 16, they are under my roof and while I of course cannot watch their every move....you would be able to tell if your child is a regular user of anything. And as a parent, that is when I got to step in and say that is unacceptable. That is why so many were confused on how to answer your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times
Also be sure to advise him of the laws surrounding the situation on the weed.

Get rid of the cigarettes now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Cigs, by FAR. They stink, they're terrible for you, extremely addictive, and provide no benefits of any kind. Marijuana has never been conclusively linked to any kind of cancers or lung damage. If anything, it actually protects against certain types of cancer. It's relatively nonaddictive, entirely nontoxic, and probably one of the safest drugs one can possibly use. When used properly, it can be a source of insight, creativity, and even pain relief.

I would not be particularly worried if I caught my child smoking pot. We would of course be having a serious discussion on the nature of marijuana and responsible use, but I certainly wouldn't fly off the handle, yell, or punish them, or even force them to stop. Making things taboo and punishing kids over perfectly safe boundary exploration and experimentation is only going to invite intense resentment and rebellious tendencies sooner or later, and there's a chance they could end up using more and worse drugs in the end because they were taught to have poor relationships with otherwise perfectly safe recreation substances.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 AM

2,898 posts, read 5,182,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay then, they bother me EXACTLY the same.
Same here. 16, means they're using both illegally. Not in my house. And, even if over 16, no one is smoking anything in my home... or on the balcony... or in the garden, related or otherwise. Take your asthma-inducing, aromatically-repellant addictions to your own humble abode, thank you very much.

A medical marijuana card can be legally obtained at age 18.

For cigs: "In 1992, the United States Congress directed the states to establish 18 as the minimum legal age for purchasing cigarettes, and each state has complied with that directive. In all states except Alabama, Alaska and Utah, the legal age to purchase tobacco products is age 18. It is age 19 in those three states."

And, I do believe both are damaging... one to the lungs, one to the brain. Equally bad, imho.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM

15,569 posts, read 24,904,283 times
I wouldn't want them to smoke cigs, because that becomes an every day all day thing. yuck, I hate cigs with a passion.

if they smoke pot once and a while, I don't want to know about it. Just like doing any other recreational drugs, i dont want to know about it.. ( I was a young boy myself)

Old 08-23-2013, 08:32 PM

12,221 posts, read 17,923,764 times
Pot. The gateway to other, harder drugs.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-24-2013, 12:37 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,863,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Pot. The gateway to other, harder drugs.

Completely untrue.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:53 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,980,546 times
No longer about Parenting...being moved.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:25 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,845,649 times
Daily smoking is worse for her health than pot a few times per month. However, I wouldn't approve of either for a 16 yo.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:15 PM

12,221 posts, read 17,923,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Completely untrue.
No it's not. Sorry.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:43 PM

1,195 posts, read 988,674 times
Default I'm not sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
No it's not. Sorry.

Marijuana is not a gateway drug. This "fact" has been debunked many times. Google or Yahoo Marijuana, gateway theory and Rand Corporation and read what you find.

Your glass of merlot is more likely a gateway drug for most American teens. Think about it, what is more likely to be in the average home that a teenager could get into, alcohol or marijuana? I know alcohol would win that contest. Then there are the prescription drugs in the bathroom...

Once a teen has tried alcohol's buzz it's not too much of a stretch to think that they might be more open to try different highs, especially if they are bored and there are things around the house (free).

I'm sure that marijuana has it's allure (as an illegal, rebel substance to test parental limits) but teens are more likely to experiment with what is freely available around the house, and doesn't cost them anything but time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or