Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 03:06 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times

Advertisements

I seem to run into a large amount of "nerd defense". It's when someone is arguing and then another person simply retorts with "you're a nerd"

Usually it goes like this

Person A- Honestly idk why Justin Bieber smoking weed is a big problem, just live and let live
Person B- Must be nice living in your mom's basement

Person A- The worship of Lebron James is ridiculous since all he does is play basketball
Person B- You're only saying that because you're a nerd who sucked at sports and was never popular

Person A- Justin Bieber has a sh*tty voice, The Killers are much better
Person B- You're just jealous because you're an unpopular nerd and The Killers are also unpopular and jealous of Bieber's fame

How to retort to this? Example 1 usually happens exclusively on the Internet, but the other two happen in real life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 03:12 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I seem to run into a large amount of "nerd defense". It's when someone is arguing and then another person simply retorts with "you're a nerd"

Person A- Honestly idk why Justin Bieber smoking weed is a big problem, just live and let live

Person A- The worship of Lebron James is ridiculous since all he does is play basketball
Person B- You're only saying that because you're a nerd who sucked at sports and was never popular

Person B- You're just jealous because you're an unpopular nerd and The Killers are also unpopular and jealous of Bieber's fame

How to retort to this? Example 1 usually happens exclusively on the Internet, but the other two happen in real life
You must be arguing with a bunch of 13 year-olds.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:49 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
LOL! Exactly.

OP, that is what happens (your reaction) when you don't know who you are talking to. If you are that surprised, maybe you should find out if people like Justin Bieber or Lebron James before you criticize them.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Here's how to retort to that:

If your child is in a serious accident and in the ER, who do you want them to call to save his life? A nerd, or a running back?

Old 10-19-2013, 05:08 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
I have been called a nerd before but never for the reasons the OP described. In those situations, I "could" see myself responding with something like this post below if I felt the need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

If your child is in a serious accident and in the ER, who do you want them to call to save his life? A nerd, or a running back?
But this doesn't fit in the context of those conversations. I will take the OP's side that calling him a nerd is pretty lame.

OP, I would just tell those people that they are lame.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I've heard 55-year-old dudes use the "Nerd" comment

Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Neither: Mike Trout is the answer. Mike Trout is always the answer

Old 10-19-2013, 07:29 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:

That's because 55 year old dudes are who made the term a household word back in HS...40 years ago.
Do ya think it is an internet phenom that hatched 5 years ago?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:33 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:

You can't. You talking to a person that has a low intellectual level and is using "red hair" argument to put someone down. If I used the right term. To diminish someone. Usually, that's when interlocuter runs out of coherent arguments, and uses "red hair" one.
Red hair tactic is basically what you describing, just different terminology, but same approach. Persons A and B have an argument. At some point, usually losing side, will say - I can't argue with person with red hair. Or a "nerd". Or "big nosed guy". Or "person of your size". Etc.
This is an evasive maneuver to discredit opponent by emphasizing some physical trait of that person.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Well my comment still stands. Those guys might chronologically be 55 but are as mature as the common 13 year-old kid. I would like to think that adults can disagree with each other without resorting to name calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy