U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:27 PM

5,206 posts, read 5,058,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I would rather be ashes then some creepy mouldering dead body buried underground.
John Brown's body lies a'moulderin' in the grave,
His soul is marching on,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 PM

7,363 posts, read 12,898,157 times
They can do what they want with this body I'm in. Once I'm dead it's just an empty shell. That goes with what I've said about organ donation. If they can find anything in here to help somebody, go for it. I won't need it any more.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,942,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The question presented here is about what to do when the time comes and someone close dies, or when we ourselves die. What should be done with the body?

Cremation has become very popular. Some reasons given are that it requires less space and is better for the environment, that we are running out of cemeteries, and that it's cheaper.

Traditional burial in the ground, on the other hand, allows relatives and friends to visit the grave site. It has been done for generations and is the accepted way of disposing of the remains by some religions.

Like most things, our ideas on matters of life and death continue to change with time. What are your thoughts on this?
Cremation.

I dread the throught of rotting in a box for eternity. They can do what they did with my stepmom in February... cremation and then scatter the ashes in the ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is a place here in Texas, where you can donate your body to just be left out in a field. A university uses it to study the forensic decomposition of undisturbed human remains left alone after death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_farm
All the more reason to be cremated... much better than rotting out in a field while some forensic insectologist is studying the maggots that are feeding on my body.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:27 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,658,601 times
I think I would like to be cremated. I don't really see the point of being buried underground in an expensive coffin. Just really see no point. I one time heard Katy Perry talk about being cremated and then having her ashes put into a firework. That sounds really cool.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 15,360,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The question presented here is about what to do when the time comes and someone close dies, or when we ourselves die. What should be done with the body?

Cremation has become very popular. Some reasons given are that it requires less space and is better for the environment, that we are running out of cemeteries, and that it's cheaper.

Traditional burial in the ground, on the other hand, allows relatives and friends to visit the grave site. It has been done for generations and is the accepted way of disposing of the remains by some religions.

Like most things, our ideas on matters of life and death continue to change with time. What are your thoughts on this?
I want to be cremated in a cardboard box...as little money as possible to be spent...I would prefer being tossed overboard from a boat...that would even save on cremation. I think (after having paid taxes all your life) it shouldn't cost a dime to be disposed of...there should be one way that's provided free.
I think it's become as commercialized as some holidays have..it's sickening the amount of money spent disposing of bodies..a real rackett far as I'm concerned.
Better to spend it on a cheery goodbye with friends and loved ones gathered for some good memories and (in honor of the lost loved one)....FUN!!!

Old 11-16-2013, 07:20 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,703,714 times
I want to donate my body to science. When my wife's friend died she was put in charge of his buriel because he had no family. When she found out how much a casket cost she had him buried in the cardboard box that the caskets are shipped to the funeral home in. She happened to see it when walking past an open door in the funeral home. Much less expensive.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,226,265 times
I am satisfied with the Muslim method of burial. No Embalming, no funeral home, no casket/Coffin,no wake. Burial by volunteers from Mosque as soon after death possible. Preferably before sunset on the day of death.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or