Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 10:20 PM

167 posts, read 163,519 times

Advertisements

Selling drugs or selling weapons illegally? To me personally, I think selling drugs is worse. You are selling people poison so that they can destroy their bodies. Most people who buy guns illegally will use them for criminal purposes, but not all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:12 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,332,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomForMorsi View Post
Selling drugs or selling weapons illegally? To me personally, I think selling drugs is worse. You are selling people poison so that they can destroy their bodies. Most people who buy guns illegally will use them for criminal purposes, but not all.
How addictive are the drugs? I see selling marijuana as maybe wrong in a very minor way. The same can be said of selling alcohol. If it's addictive enough, or if there is a sufficient lack of knowledge about the drug's affects, doing the drug becomes no longer the choice of the user, so under such instances, it would be wrong to sell the drugs.

Cigarettes though, I've bought people alcohol who were underage, who I knew. I would never buy anyone cigarettes.

Selling illegal weapons is a wonderful or terrible thing entirely depending on who they're sold to.

The only reason I don't want cigarettes made illegal, is that they've been around so long it'd cause more problems than it'd solve.

The only reason I'd prefer marijuana to be illegal (although I would like the selling and possession of it to result in no more than a misdemeanor, rather than a felony or jail time; perhaps there could be greater fines for larger sales/transportation of it) is because the smoke can interfere with people who don't practice it.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-27-2013 at 07:04 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,033,253 times
They are both bad. They BOTH kill people.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:23 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,681,866 times
Nothing "illegal" is quantifiable on any scale of morality for the reason alone of it being illegal. Laws are self-serving restrictions placed on the general pubic by an elite who enjoys the privilege of being above them.(*)

If my neighbor complains about being in serious pain from a chronic condition on a Saturday night, there is nothing "immoral" about me saying "Ive got some vicodin left over from a dental
Rx last year, I'll give you a couple", even though that would be a felony in every state, that would carry a prison term for a first offender.

As far as I know, nearly all gun transactions between private parties are legal, so a comment on that would, I think be immaterial.

(*) A few cases in point.

--- Paint the word 'Taxi' on the side of your car and pull up at the airport terminal, see how many "immoral" acts you are going to be charged with.

--- Illegal aliens and my grandparents were the same people doing the same things for the same reasons. The God-given ethics of it have not changed a bit. Only the laws have been changed, by self-serving men protecting their own established interests.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-27-2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,295,570 times
Default Yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
They are both bad. They BOTH kill people.
Marijuana, by itself has never killed people. The Drug War and incarceration certainly have and continue to do so.

Which is more moral, a non-toxic plant, or the deadly efforts our government goes to to eradicate it's use?

In my opinion, selling guns illegally is definitely less moral than selling drugs of any type. You are more likely to shoot a relative or someone you know than a criminal. That alone keeps me from having one, even though I am a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment. How can you personally sell a gun illegally when it is so easy to do it legally? Giving a gun to a person who can't obtain one legally is more likely to do harm than good. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

Selling drugs illegally is a case of demand and supply. There would not be drug dealers if there were not people willing to buy their wares Contrary to what some people think, drug dealers do not create the market, they satisfy demand. You can always say no to trying anything else. It's that simple. No matter how legal meth was, you'd have to be a pretty dim bulb to buy it.

Just because you make something legal doesn't make it more moral or more safe to use, nor will it make more people suddenly decide to use it. It WILL make those who chose to use it more visible.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:30 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,215,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomForMorsi View Post
I think selling weapons is worse...waaaaay worse.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:18 AM

19,785 posts, read 13,324,067 times
Since the illegal drug culture tends to be governed with guns, there's an argument that drugs are ultimately worse by engendering all the problems caused by the drugs themselves, as well as adding to the worst parts of the gun culture.

However, by and large, these "which is worst" sorts of questions are kind of pointless and unless you are trying to craft civil law or you're a judge deciding some issue of law I see them as largely a waste of time. An opportunity to mentally masturbate in ivory towers with no real intention to change anything. In the real world we work to persuade people away from drugs, or gun violence, in any way we can without much regard to the fine points of which is worse. We take our victories where we can get them.

BTW, ironically, the best way to break the connection between drugs and guns is probably to legalize some drugs and restrict some guns. But that's a topic for another post, one which I probably won't make, because anything outside the box tends to make some people's heads explode. And as a society (in the US at least) we still are pretty firmly entrenched in boxes that say that (1) all recreational drugs must be illegal and (2) all guns must be unrestricted.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:43 PM

15,697 posts, read 9,439,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Which is more moral, a non-toxic plant, or the deadly efforts our government goes to to eradicate it's use?
In a free society, you should be able to do what you want with your own person or property, as long as it does not harm the person or property of another and as long as everyone involved are consenting adults. So I believe drugs should be legal and then taxed and relegated by the government the way alcohol and cigarettes are.

People also ought to be able to purchase and own weapons with certain guidelines and background checks as long as they are of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy