U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 03:03 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,972,863 times

Advertisements

1) Social Darwinism
2) Racism is natural
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 03:41 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,550,574 times
Here's one I've heard a couple of times on C-D:

Bullying is natural

Old 11-16-2013, 03:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,530,107 times
Personal responsibility.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:07 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
Personal responsibility.
Yep. Good luck getting majority acceptance on this one

Old 11-17-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
1) Social Darwinism
2) Racism is natural
I'd actually assume some variation of 1 and 2 both as inherent features of (human) life. The lie is to think that they can't be (at least partially) corrected given our current position of relative enlightenment.

I don't actually know what any of the words I use mean, but...

Old 11-17-2013, 01:37 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,530,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yep. Good luck getting majority acceptance on this one
I'm talking more about the myth that the poor are always to blame for being poor and that they should simply bootstrap up, find better jobs, etc. it's a myth propagated by those on the right side of the political spectrum who say such things because (either or):

- It makes them feel better about themselves and their achievements to put down others
- They fear becoming poor themselves
- They wish to end or severely cut welfare to save what they perceive as their money being used by the government to give to the undeserving.
- They believe that hard work always equals success
- They believe that we have more control over our own lives than we actually do

(Sorry but had to elaborate).

Old 11-17-2013, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
I'm talking more about the myth that the poor are always to blame for being poor and that they should simply bootstrap up, find better jobs, etc. it's a myth propagated by those on the right side of the political spectrum who say such things because (either or):

- It makes them feel better about themselves and their achievements to put down others
- They fear becoming poor themselves
- They wish to end or severely cut welfare to save what they perceive as their money being used by the government to give to the undeserving.
- They believe that hard work always equals success
- They believe that we have more control over our own lives than we actually do

(Sorry but had to elaborate).
Yeah, I don't have a problem with any of the above. I however say it in a more general sense, in that I don't believe that anyone is personally accountable, as I don't believe in free will. I believe responsibility is a semi-pre-scientific myth that will eventually be explainable...genome X given environmental factors Y Z alpha and theta could've been expected to do A with 60% certainty and B with 35% certainty and C with 4.5% certainty and...etc.

(Bayesian theory applied to neuroplastic modular minds...maybe if I ever go back to school I'd look to research this)

except that it would be forever complex beyond explanation, as it would require modeling the entire universe...

this is the sort of thing the average human just chalks up to serendipity or superstition...but I know better. Theoretically, all is explainable. It's just that we lack the ability to do so. It's as if everyone was asked to play a daily game of home run derby (baseball) where the fences were 10,000 feet away from home plate and moving at some unpredictable velocity away from you...that's us trying to explain ourselves.

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 11-17-2013 at 02:30 AM..

Old 11-17-2013, 05:44 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,622,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That peace can be achieved through violence.
I asked my pastor what my opinion should be about this. He told me I should feel that we have to show other people the right way to do things - and sometimes that might be unpleasant.

So, that's my opinion.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,039,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
You didn't say some, you said more than any other cause. Anecdotes and examples are not evidence for "most." Studies show that about 7% of wars were motivated by religion, which on the war front, is definitely not a major cause.
Studies? Reference and source please otherwise it is just an attempt to 'speak from authority'.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:33 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,039,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I asked my pastor what my opinion should be about this. He told me I should feel that we have to show other people the right way to do things - and sometimes that might be unpleasant.

So, that's my opinion.
So your pastor is leading his flock and you are a willing part of those sheeple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy