U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself to be a "spiritual" person?
Yes 3 18.75%
No 13 81.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:26 PM

505 posts, read 475,898 times

Advertisements

Do you consider yourself to be a "spiritual" person?

What is a spiritual person?

If someone is spiritual, how should we define that?

Can it be defined accurately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,160,684 times
This should be moved to the atheism forum.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:38 PM

173 posts, read 245,291 times
"Spiritual" is a bit ambiguous; you may want to give a definition.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:19 AM

4,254 posts, read 2,942,799 times
This may not tell much.
Some atheists clearly view "spiritual" as being meaningless...perhaps most atheists.
Many probably view it as having meaning, but it's a meaning they believe it has that many people don't.

It's best described as a useless term, but atheists will use it in reference to themselves and other atheists, and that, of course, has meaning.

It does probably have value as a diplomatic tool to use with the more fundamentalist believers, to insist: "I can be spiritual, just like you. There is a good chance you view "spiritual" as meaning being interested in things other than short term gains based off simple emotional feedback. I promise to do no public weenie-wagging, and will keep the orgies with strangers met on street corners to a minimum. I will be unlikely to drain your gas tank while you're not looking, or choose an investment in lottery tickets to spend the majority of my savings on."

Last edited by Clintone; 09-14-2013 at 06:00 AM..

Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 PM

10,618 posts, read 4,919,914 times
I voted no, as I'm an atheist & don't consider myself "spiritual".
However, as others have noted, "spiritual" is a wishy-washy, poorly-delineated term.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:14 PM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
I am technically agnostic, however, on a scale of 1-10 I am a 9.5 so I voted in the poll and voted no.

The reason is I tend to think more scientifically, however, I do think within my lifetime I will know for sure what happens when we die.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM

505 posts, read 475,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am technically agnostic, however, on a scale of 1-10 I am a 9.5 so I voted in the poll and voted no.

The reason is I tend to think more scientifically, however, I do think within my lifetime I will know for sure what happens when we die.
If not then maybe afterwards.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:08 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,092,850 times
spirituality is inconsistent with atheism

I loathe your username, FWIW

Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,005,506 times
H. sapiens is a social species, meaning that the individuals cannot normally survive without a social organization of other member of the species. To such a well-evolved species, a god is not necessary for the evolution of brain functions that have survival value in relationships with other members of society, of a nature that we call "spiritual". Spiritual cognition on the part of humans is simply a meshing together, a collective recognition, of the social elements that favor a sense of cohesion within the social community and enable common social values and objectives. Often limited to social perspectives that defy intellectual articulation. Morality is a good example.

The fact that people are moral is not a proof nor even evidence that there is a God. Nor is the fact that people are spiritual.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 AM

14,189 posts, read 9,032,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
Do you consider yourself to be a "spiritual" person?

What is a spiritual person?

If someone is spiritual, how should we define that?

Can it be defined accurately?
To answer your questions:

No

Whatever you or I decide that it means

It's up to each of us

No

Since I can never resist a more nuanced response, I'll add to this by saying that personally I define "spirituality" as paying attention to and playing with the subjective side of life. I don't do all that much with it myself because I have boiled it down to this: we need / want to be connected to others and to accomplish good outside ourselves. If you want to turn this into "being a part of something larger than myself" and then define "larger" as "galactic in scale" and maybe toss in "therefore, god" -- go right ahead and do so. I am going to stay within my scope as a finite, insignificant being in a vast universe and stick with what is doable. I intend to contribute as much as I can to the pleasantness and happiness of the lives of my wife, (step)children and grandchildren, and maybe my extended family and community if I have that much energy left over. I do it because I find it gratifying, which creates a feedback loop that motivates me to do more of the same. I do it because it's what it do.

Nothing more complicated than that ... the rest is just excess baggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy