U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2013, 10:02 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,732 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Hi,

The Red Barron, Hentrix, Cobain, Monroe, Bruce Lee, college students, and others died in their late 20's/ear 30's.

There is nothing wrong with people ending their lives on their own terms. Society forces people to suffer terminal and chronic illneses, but a sick animal gets put to sleep. People are not slaves. They are entitled the right to euthanize themselves, when facing terminal, chronic, or never coping with the fact they will never have a GF in their life in their late 20's/early 30's.

If you never have a GF in your late 20's/early 30's, you will never have a GF for the rest of your life. There is somebody for someone is a fairy tail. Why grow old, alone, and miserable?

Too many live their lives paycheck to paycheck. They never ask what their pain, energy, and time is for? For what? For who? Who say's that we should grow old or "live as long as we can?" It is ridiculous. It is materialism. Go on and ask them. Too many people die mopping floors and washing dishes.

I respect a kid, who is in late 20's/early 30's, euthanizing himself than someone who dies from mopping floors and washing dishes in old age.

What's up with getting old? You are in your 30's and then what? You look forward to 40, which is half of 80 years old. There is no point unless you get married or have children. You work and work a job you hate and retire for a short time to die from Alzheimers, Parkenson's, arthritis, or stroke, if work does not kill you first. These are some of the things that are worse than death.


The debate can never be about the method of euthanasia, only euthanasia itself because a gunshot to the head is the most humane. It happens faster than chemicals. Hitler and his cronies did it.

I think the point here is that people should not be "forced to live a ****ty life" and have the right to euthanize themselves, if they see their life unfit. Late 20's/early 30's is a good age to go because the good always die young.

Late 20's/early 30's is the ideal age to go because you already lived half your life and pass your prime.

Think about this:

No job? euthanasia
job you hate? euthanasia
no girlfriend? euthanasia
no future? euthanasia
old age? euthanasia
poverty>? euthanasia

If you want to live a long, miserable, lonely life, that is your right, and if you think otherwise, a gunshot to the head is more humane.

Therefore, euthanasia is always rational because there will be no regrets.

Go email or the next time you see your Doctor and have a DNR (DO NOT RESUSCITATE) on your medical transcript. Do not end up like Terri Shavo.

Question:

Why does society treat animal welfare better than humans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2013, 08:02 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,492,863 times
Reputation: 29076
Actually, the real question is, why do you wonder about/advocate such cowardice and despair?

Here's an inconvenient thought. Humans can reason. Therefore they always have the alternative of putting forth the effort to better themselves and their lot in life.

Here's another one. There most certainly will be despair on the part of family members and other survivors. 'Offing' yourself is a selfish act.

No job? euthanasia Find one.
job you hate? euthanasia Find another one.
no girlfriend? euthanasia There's someone for everyone.
no future? euthanasia How will you know until you get there tomorrow and tomorrow, and tomorrow, etc.?
old age? euthanasia Bite your tongue, Youngster. I'm old and loving retirement.
poverty>? euthanasia Get a tin cup or better yet, work harder.

Seems like a case of lazy, stinkin' thinkin' to me.

PS. By the way, three of your five examples died by 'misadventure', not suicide.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 09-15-2013 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Utica, NY
1,912 posts, read 2,547,030 times
Reputation: 3200
How do you know the OP is some misguided youngster?

The truth is that life is good for some people, life is **** for others. Some people try and try again, but nothing changes, or it gets progressively worse.

If you're born with good genetics, good parents then you have one hell of a head start. Luck also plays a major part.

We as humans like to believe that we are far more in control of our destinies than we actually are.

Some people cling to life, despite endless suffering. Personally, I don't see the point. If you're not leaving anyone behind and carry it out in a sensible manner, who cares?

We euthanize suffering animals, yet we don't do the same for suffering humans. I consider "suffering" to be either an incurable mental or physical illness or even if an individual just gets to the point where he or she knows in their heart of hearts that it's never going to get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2013, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,197 posts, read 9,087,623 times
Reputation: 6081
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx1337 View Post
There is nothing wrong with people ending their lives on their own terms. Society forces people to suffer terminal and chronic illneses, but a sick animal gets put to sleep. People are not slaves. They are entitled the right to euthanize themselves, when facing terminal, chronic, or never coping with the fact they will never have a GF in their life in their late 20's/early 30's.
I agree with you in all respects except the last statement. No woman is worth it. Trust me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx1337 View Post
If you never have a GF in your late 20's/early 30's, you will never have a GF for the rest of your life. There is somebody for someone is a fairy tail. Why grow old, alone, and miserable?
Nonsense. I had a GF at 51 and am now remarried. Before that I had a GF at 37 and remarried.

It is true that it's a fairy tale that there is someone for everyone (particularly, someone awesome), however, most people do find some species of love but it doesn't work out for at least half of them and there are in fact some who never marry. However, happiness does not come from a good marriage. If you are happy and secure in yourself when you marry, it will amplify your happiness and centeredness. If you're unhappy and insecure when you marry then it will amplify your unhappiness and insecurity. So your job is not to find a wife, it's to become the person that will attract the kind of wife you'd actually want to live with.

Do. Not. Marry. Until. You. Are. Happy. And self confident and focused and professionally stable. If you are expecting marriage to make all that happen you're putting too much on it, dooming it to failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx1337 View Post
Too many live their lives paycheck to paycheck. They never ask what their pain, energy, and time is for? For what? For who? Who say's that we should grow old or "live as long as we can?" It is ridiculous. It is materialism. Go on and ask them. Too many people die mopping floors and washing dishes.
Some folks are perfectly happy mopping floors. If you're not, then don't mop floors. There is no need to mop floors in 21st century America and most of the rest of the West if you don't wish to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx1337 View Post
What's up with getting old? You are in your 30's and then what? You look forward to 40, which is half of 80 years old. There is no point unless you get married or have children. You work and work a job you hate and retire for a short time to die from Alzheimers, Parkenson's, arthritis, or stroke, if work does not kill you first. These are some of the things that are worse than death.
Again with the "no point if you don't get married and have children". Are you kidding??! In many respects I'd be enjoying my old age a lot more if I'd done neither. At the very least, not having kids. I love my kids, and I even love my step kids, but they are a source of much unwanted drama and anxiety. I could do without it. Both my wife and I agree, if we had it to do over again, we wouldn't have bothered. It's the hardest darned job in the world, tons of effort for uncertain outcomes. Often, lots of the smelly brown stuff for thanks. If you think your'e unhappy now -- it's like I said before -- marriage and parenthood will just magnify your unhappiness. You have to give it something to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx1337 View Post
The debate can never be about the method of euthanasia, only euthanasia itself because a gunshot to the head is the most humane. It happens faster than chemicals. Hitler and his cronies did it.
You haven't done your homework. Read a book like Final Exit if you really want to do it correctly in the real world. But I'm talking about rational suicide, which one undertakes because their ACTUAL quality of life is in the toilet because of incurable illness or a fatal diagnosis involving suffering or profound dependency on extended family and/or strangers for basic existence (under some circumstances). Not someone having an anger-fest because life doesn't play out exactly to their liking.

No job? Get a job, or at least do volunteer work
job you hate? Change your job
no girlfriend? Count your blessings
no future? Who says? Nothing in life is permanent, including annoyances.
old age? It's not an issue of age, but of health.
poverty>? It is possible to be so happy, you don't know how miserable you are. I know plenty of happy and content people who are lower middle class or below the poverty line. They never complain or feel the need to complain. Given this, perhaps you should investigate happiness scientifically as to what it actually is, and isn't. Take two people -- give one a fatal cancer diagnosis with 2 years to live, and give the other one a 10 million dollar lottery check. Within 6 months they will both be back their happiness baseline. Conclusion: you are wrong to think that happiness is entirely circumstantial. Circumstances play only a minor role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx1337 View Post
Therefore, euthanasia is always rational because there will be no regrets.
No, it's not always rational. It can be, and I'll grant you that society doesn't allow for it even when it is, but in most cases it's a permanent solution to temporary problems. You are basically asking for an obstacle and challenge-free life. You are quite well equipped to deal with ordinary challenges without being in despair. Most people manage it, so can you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx1337 View Post
Why does society treat animal welfare better than humans?
Because it fails to understand that humans are animals too, and deserve the same kindness we give to at least domestic pets. It's odd that we shame people for being selfish for not ending their pet's interminable suffering, and then shame them for even considering doing the same for grandma.

It does not follow from this that people should blow their brains out at the slightest sign of trouble however. That is one of the slippery-slope canards that people who object to rational suicide put out there.

Dude, you're seriously depressed and I am pretty sure you also have very badly set and unrealistic expectations of life. That is all correctable with the right kinds of help. I hope you get it. If, after you correct your brain chemistry and your perception that life owes you your hopes, dreams and aspirations exactly as you anticipated they would be in all respects, you still don't find quality of life, I will have some respect for your pronouncements about self-deliverance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2013, 06:34 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,492,863 times
Reputation: 29076
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
How do you know the OP is some misguided youngster? Did I call him misguided? I don't remember that. But I certainly hope he's a youngster crying out that the sky is falling. By the way, I'm 67. If he's only 66 he's a youngster.

The truth is that life is good for some people, life is **** for others. Some people try and try again, but nothing changes, or it gets progressively worse. No one ever promised us a rose garden!

If you're born with good genetics, good parents then you have one hell of a head start. Luck also plays a major part. Genetically, men in my family only live to age 71. Cancer is rampant. That just gives me four more years. My parents wouldn't be considered "good" by any stretch of the imagination.

We as humans like to believe that we are far more in control of our destinies than we actually are. And those who say it's Kismet, fate, luck, happenstance, The Gods, society, global warming, etc. are those who fail to take responsibility for themselves.

Some people cling to life, despite endless suffering. Personally, I don't see the point. If you're not leaving anyone behind and carry it out in a sensible manner, who cares? Have you been there to watch it? I have. My mother died of pancreatic cancer at age 67 - my age now - and that's excruciatingly painful.

We euthanize suffering animals, yet we don't do the same for suffering humans. I consider "suffering" to be either an incurable mental or physical illness or even if an individual just gets to the point where he or she knows in their heart of hearts that it's never going to get better. Human beings can reason. It's up to them!
Next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2013, 09:07 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,819 posts, read 2,875,357 times
Reputation: 1246
So if you are having a tough time in life , just kill yourself. What wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 01:18 AM
 
1,765 posts, read 2,445,934 times
Reputation: 1536
Disagree.
Are you pulling a Modest Proposal?

We have things called Palliative Care for people who are on "Do Not Resuscitate" status and this means that we make them comfortable as possible as they pass on to the other side. Euthanasia and suicide are two different things.

I've seen dogs attempt to commit suicide before (yep! Dogs can get very depressed to that point too) and I can tell you that I don't agree with their choice anymore than I do the human who decides to make that choice. But it takes a lot of hopelessness and lack of will to keep fighting to get to that point. It's a pervasive stuckness, imo.

I don't like when people say that 20s/30s is a good age to die. All that says to me is that you come from a cultural mindset that wants to stay young forever. Which is stupid because it negates all the lessons one can learn and often do learn in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s+. I love when I see older people who have become so comfortable with death and with life that they neither try to take their own lives nor prolong their life by "unnatural" means. I love seeing older people who whenever you approach them with something in a dramatic way, take a deep breath, and then listen to the story in calm way. I love that kind of detachment! Or the deep thought and pensive silence they give before responding. That's not something many people in their 20s and 30s develop. They're too busy trying to be busy and develop status and achievement.

So I don't think people should go out in their 20s and 30s. They've just started to utilize their independence and experience/learn the true meaning of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Australia
1,058 posts, read 1,450,007 times
Reputation: 1695
I support the right to die but almost all of the reasons you listed for committing suicide are really stupid. Suicide is permanent, so you better make sure your problems are permanent before you take that step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2013, 01:43 PM
 
12,886 posts, read 15,438,852 times
Reputation: 14853
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx1337 View Post

There is nothing wrong with people ending their lives on their own terms.

Late 20's/early 30's is the ideal age to go because you already lived half your life and pass your prime.


Question:

Why does society treat animal welfare better than humans?
They don't..maybe just for some pets. It's not up to society anyways..it's up to you...if you wanna waste your life, no-one can stop you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2013, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Here
2,614 posts, read 5,849,797 times
Reputation: 2661
People date into their retirement years. Anyone who thinks it's not possible needs to get out more.

And euthanizing animals is not better treatment in my opinion; it's worse treatment. It's because people don't want to care for an old/ill animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top