U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,048,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriya yogi View Post
It is a PUBLIC space. So I suppose when you are in public, anything goes? You say, to hell with other people, I have a RIGHT to play my smartphone like a radio, blow smoke in people's faces, etc. As long as there isn't a law, I will do whatever, whenever.

Alrighty then...
Actually, with those examples you gave, yes. People do have the right to play music on their phones, and I have had the wind blow smoke in my face many times.

I generally don't like interacting with other people unless I have to, because people irk me. But, I stay home. I don't expect other people to conform to my ideas of how they should behave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 AM

100 posts, read 58,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Yes, it's the norm. It was also the norm back when we were kids. I don't understand why you feel you were allowed to 'occupy' a statue in a public park. Are you getting your photo taken there or something? Otherwise, what is the problem with them?
Uber annoying to have them running around and around and around. This happened before and I just left. Strangely enough, when I left, they left. I wondered if the Universe was telling me something?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:15 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,275,626 times
Yes, it's you. Sorry. You don't have to like kids or not, but if some strange adult came up beside you and you didn't want him there either, it would be his right to do so.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:15 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,585,043 times
If kids running around and playing bothers you so much then don't hang around in public parks.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Actually, with those examples you gave, yes. People do have the right to play music on their phones, and I have had the wind blow smoke in my face many times.

I generally don't like interacting with other people unless I have to, because people irk me. But, I stay home. I don't expect other people to conform to my ideas of how they should behave.
LOL! Well, I want some fresh air.

I think what I am trying to say is I have never bought into this idea that if you CAN do something, you SHOULD do something.

And I also respect parents who teach their children to be aware of others. Sometimes a child will toddle up to me and start talking or touching my stuff. I LOVE it. I love kids, in case I have given the wrong impression. And many times the parent will apologize and tell the child: "That's not yours. Come here. She's busy." I will counter and say "No, it's FINE!"

If the mom today had just yelled out "Guys, come play on the grass!" or "Stay on this side of the statue--the lady is busy" then it would have been fine.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Okay, but I was there first and needed a place to have my back against.

Is it just me? I always have been the type where if I see someone at the beach, I will try as much as possible to find a space away from them to allow them their personal space as well as my own.

I don't think statues are for climbing and running around. And this could have been a park bench, a place on the beach, wherever. Is it the parent's responsibility to maybe move their child away from strangers if the strangers were there first?
I work for the parks department in my City. We actually have signs posted telling people to keep off of statues. If the child is hurt, the parent is going to sue us, so I do get your point. A sign shouldn't be necessary, we all know why it is.

We tell people all the time: The park is open to the public. Even if you reserve a picnic pavilion for your son's birthday party, you do not reserve the entire park, and other people will be there.

I guess I feel the same way about your situation. It's a public park. The kids weren't purposely trying to disturb you - they saw a statue and (unwisely, I think) wanted to climb. It's what's Rugrats do.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,629,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
If kids running around and playing bothers you so much then don't hang around in public parks.
Pretty much.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I work for the parks department in my City. We actually have signs posted telling people to keep off of statues. If the child is hurt, the parent is going to sue us, so I do get your point. A sign shouldn't be necessary, we all know why it is.

We tell people all the time: The park is open to the public. Even if you reserve a picnic pavilion for your son's birthday party, you do not reserve the entire park, and other people will be there.

I guess I feel the same way about your situation. It's a public park. The kids weren't purposely trying to disturb you - they saw a statue and (unwisely, I think) wanted to climb. It's what's Rugrats do.
Again, I want to be clear: I LIKE children. I may not like their behavior 24/7 but I don't hate children.

This could have been an adult who had the whole park to do jumping jacks and chose my little space. I have been on the bus and deliberately gone to the back for space and someone will sit right next to me with all kinds of other choices.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Again, I want to be clear: I LIKE children. I may not like their behavior 24/7 but I don't hate children.

This could have been an adult who had the whole park to do jumping jacks and chose my little space. I have been on the bus and deliberately gone to the back for space and someone will sit right next to me with all kinds of other choices.
Just as you have the right to be there, so do they. They bother you, not the other way around. So you should move, not the other way around.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:39 AM

12,130 posts, read 9,875,697 times
Parks are where kids go to get the lead out. While in some people's perfect world, they will never be inconvenienced by other people when out in public, truth is I would have more sympathy for you if you were at a museum or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy