U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:40 AM

100 posts, read 58,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Just as you have the right to be there, so do they. They bother you, not the other way around. So you should move, not the other way around.
Do you live in a house? What about blasting one's music in one's home? If the neighbors can hear it and it bothers them, is it tough luck because you are on your property?

Thank you for responding, by the way. I try and get into people's thinking patterns.

We co-exist on this planet. Even if I CAN throw plastic in the trash and it's way easier, I make every effort to carry my recyclables home and do it there. Because I know that we're interdependent and I don't just think about myself.

If someone told me that something I was doing was bothering them and it was a reasonable request, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I am the sort of person that doesn't want to bother other people if at all possible. When I wear headphones in a public place, I make sure to take them off and see if sound is leaking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 AM

12,029 posts, read 9,814,334 times
For the record, I would tell my kids not to play where someone was already enjoying themselves.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Parks are where kids go to get the lead out. While in some people's perfect world, they will never be inconvenienced by other people when out in public, truth is I would have more sympathy for you if you were at a museum or something.
They had a whole field of green to frolic. As another poster who works for the park dept. said, there are signs on statues sometimes to warn parents about their kids playing there. They were running around on a ledge. Not good.

It's not as if this was the only spot for them to go. That is the frigging point.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:45 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,608,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriya yogi View Post
I am sitting in a park with my Chromebook leaning against a statue. For a long time it was quite empty. And then...some young kids climbed up on the statue and started running around and around and around it right above me. I was hoping they'd get tired of doing so after a few times around but no. So I glanced at Mom quickly to hint that I was irked (but with neutral expression on my face). She does nothing. So I climb onto the statue myself and block them coming around. I used the guise of the sun shining on the screen, which was actually true.

Here is the crux of my question: the kids STILL tried to get around me and so I asked them very softly and politely if they could play on the statue around the corner because I was trying to do something. The one boy just stared at me like he was thinking "You've GOT to be kidding me!" and luckily Mom stepped in and took them somewhere else.

I never blame children for anything they do because if they are allowed freedom to do what their heart desires, they will be very surprised to get any countering their behavior. But they will. If not from people like me, then teachers. Children must have boundaries.

I praise the mother for not getting mad at me and going elsewhere but is it unreasonable for me to have wished she had seen that they were in my space and directed them elsewhere? And in any case, is it appropriate for them to be running around the base of a statue in the first place? It's raised and stone and if they slipped while running, it would be horrible.
If that had been me (as the mom), I wouldn't have let my kids play on that statue at all, because you were already there.

That "Mom" is one of the reasons kids grow up expecting people to do everything for them, get out of their way, and basically have no manners.

Some of the responses here just further proves this.

5,190 posts, read 4,027,822 times
Quote:
Do you live in a house? What about blasting one's music in one's home? If the neighbors can hear it and it bothers them, is it tough luck because you are on your property?

Thank you for responding, by the way. I try and get into people's thinking patterns.

We co-exist on this planet. Even if I CAN throw plastic in the trash and it's way easier, I make every effort to carry my recyclables home and do it there. Because I know that we're interdependent and I don't just think about myself.

If someone told me that something I was doing was bothering them and it was a reasonable request, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I am the sort of person that doesn't want to bother other people if at all possible. When I wear headphones in a public place, I make sure to take them off and see if sound is leaking out.
Your examples are interesting. We have a noise ordinance in our city, so that one is enforceable by law.

I guess I just don't really have sympathy due to your location. A park is where you expect to run into kids. I don't know what else to tell you. If you were at a library or somewhere were quiet was expected, I could understand.

12,029 posts, read 9,814,334 times
Quote:
They had a whole field of green to frolic. As another poster who works for the park dept. said, there are signs on statues sometimes to warn parents about their kids playing there. They were running around on a ledge. Not good.

It's not as if this was the only spot for them to go. That is the frigging point.
Well if it makes you happy to be upset about it, rock on. Not sure I see the point.

1,961 posts, read 3,747,437 times
1) I am willing to bet the kids did not even care or pay attention to the fact that you were there.
2) glancing at the mom with a neutral face would have no affect on me if I were the mom. Does not really say much.
3) I find it hysterical that you went to the lengths of climbing on the statue yourself, which is not really going to help anything.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:48 AM

LOL--just had a little girl climb up here and she ran around and then put her hand on my shoulder and ran behind me. Too cute. And her mom was nearby (responsible parent of young child) and apologized to me, telling her not to go by me anymore.

Two signs of a good parent: thoughtfulness towards others and consideration of child's safety.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:49 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,027,822 times
LOL Are you at the statue now? I want to see a picture of this statue - people are always climbing on it.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Your examples are interesting. We have a noise ordinance in our city, so that one is enforceable by law.

I guess I just don't really have sympathy due to your location. A park is where you expect to run into kids. I don't know what else to tell you. If you were at a library or somewhere were quiet was expected, I could understand.
Ugh. It's not just about quiet and ordinances and the like. It's about getting past self-absorption and selfishness.

If that is a hard one for you to wrap your brain around, my sympathies. A woman just told her daughter not to climb by me. Good parent.

Have a nice day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy