U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:43 AM

2,936 posts, read 1,527,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Clearly this is an edge case and people are about 50/50 on how to respond to it. In such grey areas, as others have pointed out, you have to recognize it's a public space, you don't have 100% right to expect everyone else to make the same judgment calls as you would, there is a certain juvenile quality to an "I was here first and have dibs on it" argument, etc. As a parent I would steer my kids away from the statue if someone was quietly enjoying it already and respect their personal space. It looks like this mother was only guilty of being a bit distracted or inattentive until she woke up to what was going on.

Bottom line, if I want uninterrupted personal space in a public area, the library would be about the only one where there is a ruleset in place and mostly enforced, for peace and quiet and leaving other people the heck alone. Minus the absolute quiet, a table at a Starbucks or similar will do. Other than that, you should be sitting at home or in some other private space, or if none such is available, you just have to make do.
Totally agree. Great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 01:27 PM

4,542 posts, read 4,409,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriya yogi View Post
Again, I want to be clear: I LIKE children. I may not like their behavior 24/7 but I don't hate children.

This could have been an adult who had the whole park to do jumping jacks and chose my little space. I have been on the bus and deliberately gone to the back for space and someone will sit right next to me with all kinds of other choices.
I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm surprised that most of the posts on the 1st page say you are being unreasonable.

I absolutely believe that someone is entitled to some "personal space" even if they are in a public place. How large that personal space is would depend on how crowded the area was, but in a big public park, with lots and lots of space, I wouldn't have let my children run around within at least 20 feet of someone who was trying to relax or get some work done. What you describe sounds disrespectful and rude to me, and I'm truly surprised that others think it was fine for those kids to run all around you.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,409,308 times
I think the question the OP asks in the thread title, "Was it wrong for me to expect privacy in a public park?" is perhaps not the best choice of wording. She was not expecting privacy, just a desire to not be quite so directly disturbed/invaded.

I would like to ask those of you who thought the children did nothing wrong this question:
In a public setting, how much personal space should an individual expect or be entitled to?

Someone posted that when s/he is the only person on a bus, sometimes another person will board and sit right next to them. That seems really weird and creepy to me. If the bus is packed, there is no expectation of much personal space, but when every other seat is available?.......I can't imagine that a mentally/socially well-adjusted person would do that.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM

14,191 posts, read 9,035,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Someone posted that when s/he is the only person on a bus, sometimes another person will board and sit right next to them. That seems really weird and creepy to me. If the bus is packed, there is no expectation of much personal space, but when every other seat is available?.......I can't imagine that a mentally/socially well-adjusted person would do that.
It's only creepy IMO if they try to strike up a conversation with me and suddenly want to be my Best Friend. They may (perhaps entirely unconsciously) feel safer or less alienated or less exposed sitting next to someone else. They may know that the bus will soon be full and want to have at least one of the people who will end up sitting next to them be clean and safe-looking. Who knows?

Where other people sit on a near-empty bus is of zero concern to me in and of itself. I have no expectation of having an empty seat next to me on a bus, regardless of how full it happens to be at the moment. If I know the bus isn't going to fill up along the route and I would like the extra space for my bags or something I will already have claimed it by putting things on the seat.

Problem solved. No need to over think these situations.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:30 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,920,903 times
Are you nuts! Those kids can play anywhere they want in a public park. Who do you think you are?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:46 PM

334 posts, read 593,715 times
Was it wrong for me to expect privacy in a public park?

Wrong? No. Unrealistic? Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy