Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 AM

100 posts, read 70,241 times

Advertisements

I am sitting in a park with my Chromebook leaning against a statue. For a long time it was quite empty. And then...some young kids climbed up on the statue and started running around and around and around it right above me. I was hoping they'd get tired of doing so after a few times around but no. So I glanced at Mom quickly to hint that I was irked (but with neutral expression on my face). She does nothing. So I climb onto the statue myself and block them coming around. I used the guise of the sun shining on the screen, which was actually true.

Here is the crux of my question: the kids STILL tried to get around me and so I asked them very softly and politely if they could play on the statue around the corner because I was trying to do something. The one boy just stared at me like he was thinking "You've GOT to be kidding me!" and luckily Mom stepped in and took them somewhere else.

I never blame children for anything they do because if they are allowed freedom to do what their heart desires, they will be very surprised to get any countering their behavior. But they will. If not from people like me, then teachers. Children must have boundaries.

I praise the mother for not getting mad at me and going elsewhere but is it unreasonable for me to have wished she had seen that they were in my space and directed them elsewhere? And in any case, is it appropriate for them to be running around the base of a statue in the first place? It's raised and stone and if they slipped while running, it would be horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Don't run around in a public park ... okay, that's a new one!

Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 AM

Default No...not the PARK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Don't run around in a public park ... okay, that's a new one!
This park is huge. I said a STATUE at the park. Get it?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriya yogi View Post
This park is huge. I said a STATUE at the park. Get it?
I do. You felt that the statue was your personal space, which is not the case in a public park.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Default Well, you are technically correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I do. You felt that the statue was your personal space, which is not the case in a public park.
It is a PUBLIC space. So I suppose when you are in public, anything goes? You say, to hell with other people, I have a RIGHT to play my smartphone like a radio, blow smoke in people's faces, etc. As long as there isn't a law, I will do whatever, whenever.

Alrighty then...

Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
Yes, it's the norm. It was also the norm back when we were kids. I don't understand why you feel you were allowed to 'occupy' a statue in a public park. Are you getting your photo taken there or something? Otherwise, what is the problem with them?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Hmmm..

I don't see that the kids were doing anything wrong. You were under a public statue in a public park. Couldn't you read somewhere else? The Mom was way nicer than she could have been.

As to "safety" (and let's be honest, you didn't care a whit about their safety - you just didn't want them disturbing you), you may have a point. But that was their Mom's concern.

As this is from someone who tries to stay far away from children as much as possible.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 AM

That's why they have to make stoopid laws and erect stoopid signs--because some people will do anything as long as it's allowed.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Hmmm..

I don't see that the kids were doing anything wrong. You were under a public statue in a public park. Couldn't you read somewhere else? The Mom was way nicer than she could have been.

As to "safety" (and let's be honest, you didn't care a whit about their safety - you just didn't want them disturbing you), you may have a point. But that was their Mom's concern.

As this is from someone who tries to stay far away from children as much as possible.
Okay, but I was there first and needed a place to have my back against.

Is it just me? I always have been the type where if I see someone at the beach, I will try as much as possible to find a space away from them to allow them their personal space as well as my own.

I don't think statues are for climbing and running around. And this could have been a park bench, a place on the beach, wherever. Is it the parent's responsibility to maybe move their child away from strangers if the strangers were there first?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Yes, this is very unreasonable of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy