Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Moving to Philosophy...
Your picture of a butterfly isn't coming up on the "quote" feature, but seeing it sparked an anology apropos to this thread:

If one assists a butterfly when it breaks out of its cocoon, it will be of great harm to the butterfly. It builds strength in its wings thru the struggle of breaking out of its cocoon. Without this struggle, the butterfly will be too weak to survive.

I had the honor and privilege to grow up in a rural area in Georgia. I didn't appreciate this when I was younger, but now a few years down the road, I wouldn't trade my background for the world. My kids are in large suburban schools with MUCH more than I ever had, yet sometimes I feel they are missing some of the advantages of my youth. I was the proverbial big frog in a small pond... was on the debate team, starred in the one act play, on the math team, the science team, the academic team.. all teams where we competed in region and state events just like the athletic teams. I wasn't specialized in any of these areas enough to have made even one of these teams in my kid's large school.

I got enough of an experience here to earn scholarships to a well regarded private university and have since earned my masters. All this growing up with a widowed mother and grandmother in the back woods of Georgia and going to a single A sized high school.

Bloom where you are planted. Faith is essential... in yourself, in the belief that there are people who will be of benefit wherever you are and in the creator that makes no mistakes and has a plan for your life if you seek Him.

Don't under estimate the value that a less than privileged upbringing will give. The struggle of coming out of that cocoon will make you much stronger, but only if you choose to pull your own bootstraps and stop the blame game. When you do start the tug on those straps, you will find that help will come from places you least expect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:04 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Why do parents continue to raise children in small, rural towns where schools are of bad quality, drug abuse and crime is high, poverty is systemic, and opportunities for advancement are low?

I grew up in small town TN where the schools and universities were of poor quality. Because I grew up in a bad area and went to a bad high school, getting interest from good universities was difficult. Without the proper academic pedigree, getting into graduate school or attracting the interest of a quality employer was difficult, no matter how strong your individual merits are. So the cycle of rural poverty moves on.

My family had job offers in other areas that were more prosperous, but foolishly failed to take them to stay close to their family. Ultimately growing up in a rural ghetto with poor parents shortchanged me of opportunities I would have otherwise had, along with condemning my parents to absolute poverty in old age. We live in an area that is as politically corrupt and nearly as violent as Detroit.

Why do people hold the small town as an ideal for raising children, when most small towns can be shown to be demonstrably inferior in every social metric to major urban areas?
Yes, because it's so much easier to blame your parents for YOU not pulling up your bootstraps and gettinmg the hell out of there on your own.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,347 times
Quote:
Why do parents continue to raise children in small, rural towns where schools are of bad quality, drug abuse and crime is high, poverty is systemic, and opportunities for advancement are low?

I grew up in small town TN where the schools and universities were of poor quality. Because I grew up in a bad area and went to a bad high school, getting interest from good universities was difficult. Without the proper academic pedigree, getting into graduate school or attracting the interest of a quality employer was difficult, no matter how strong your individual merits are. So the cycle of rural poverty moves on.

My family had job offers in other areas that were more prosperous, but foolishly failed to take them to stay close to their family. Ultimately growing up in a rural ghetto with poor parents shortchanged me of opportunities I would have otherwise had, along with condemning my parents to absolute poverty in old age. We live in an area that is as politically corrupt and nearly as violent as Detroit.

Why do people hold the small town as an ideal for raising children, when most small towns can be shown to be demonstrably inferior in every social metric to major urban areas?
I just happened to be looking at some older threads in the economic section, and saw this from you:

Quote:
A person I grew up with is 25 and founded his own software development business less than five years ago, started additional companies, and these businesses have grown. He made $600k last year and tweeted that if 80% of his business were gone, he'd still be up 300% from last year. He'll probably make well over a million for himself this year.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,404,178 times
^^^^^ Duh.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 PM

134 posts, read 443,894 times
Actually, its up to the student, parent, and school for the student to excel, not just the parent or school.

If a college is looking at a student who is pulling through with good grades, I can't see them not letting you in. Plus I'm sure there are private schools nearby that you could attend in high school.

If you are ambitious enough to get what you want, you will, in most cases, get it.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,308 times
The OP's entire premise is based on falsehoods.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-25-2013, 01:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
The OP's entire premise is based on falsehoods.

Posted with TapaTalk
Summed up well.

I knew the town we lived in while our kids were young was small, but I didn't realize how small until I saw it in the news today. 3610 people, yet the town was named one of the top 10 places to raise children. I know my own didn't suffer academically, or socially.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:08 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,308 times
Small and rural isn't synonymous with poverty, poor education, or drug infested at all.

I grew up in a small rural type of town that was also considered "prestigious".

Most people there were upper class white collar workers.

The schools sent lots of kids to Ivy League or prestigious colleges.

It was safe with low crime because everyone knew each other and their kid's names. If you did get into trouble, the police didn't even need to apprehend you....they just called your parents.

Drugs have no socio-economic boundaries....rich and poor alike are just as likely to abuse drugs (alcohol is a drug too). I recall doctor and lawyer's wives being Prozac or Valium abusers. And, I recall a conversation with a police chief who told me the poorer neighborhood school had less a drug problem than the affluent school because those kids had more disposable income to buy drugs than the kids who had to scape or steal it.

My wife was on the board of the County Woman's Shelter and when they wanted to do a school program at an "affluent" school they said "no...we don't have those problems here". Lol....who are they kidding? Child abuse, spousal abuse, incest, and child molestation also knows no socioeconomic boundaries and anyone who denies that isn't living in reality.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM

78,351 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:

It sounds like you grew up in a crap-hole and are extrapolating it to all other small towns.

I had the opposite experience.

I would suggest posting up your data re: inferior social metrics and we can go from there rather than slinging about hyperbole and anecdotal information.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:49 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Is this thread a round-about way encouraging density by way of "guilting" people into stuffing themselves into overcrowded cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy