Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:54 AM

63 posts, read 164,157 times

Advertisements

Yes, that's why the best is when it ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 AM

7,319 posts, read 6,915,601 times
Life is not fair , get over it.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:25 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,200,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Life is not fair , get over it.
What a truly useless and abrasive response.

As for the OP. I don't hold it against people who question their existence. I think it's a part of finding one's self.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:33 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,269,230 times
I think the crux of the question boils down to consciousness. Why are we "given" this capability to reason, and out of the trillions, upon trillions of sperm and eggs, why you and/or I have it at our disposal.

It is such an amazing twist of chance to be able to experience life and to be able to question it.

It is true that Philosophers who began to question such things, were more well off than you or I, but in a good portion of the world, more and more people are able to think; especially in places like North America and Western Europe; where leisure is more common.

And so we should question why we are here, and hopefully come to (at least) a moral understanding (in a positive sense) even if we don't come up with an ultimate one.

Lastly, religion, seems to have already answered the questions for their believers, but I believe that we should never stay stagnant in belief, and always question and always be on our heels.

And so, yes, life should be complicated if you're an active participant. Because if you're truly living and experiencing life, by default it should be a challenge.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:02 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,659,169 times
I am not sure if the meaning of life is complicated or very simple but our interest in knowing the answer is just a by product of our rational mind. Our rational mind seems to want everything to be; unknown, known and knowable, unknowable is not rational.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,174,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
People always ask... "what is the meaning of life?" "why are we here?"....
Perhaps some of us have come to these questions because we were given truckloads of answers from early childhood, and at some point the massive contradictions among these answers didn't come to just cherry-picking a few of them, but wondering about the entire edifice called the Meaning of Life.

Eventually it seemed to me to be similar to the Emperor's new clothes.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 PM

18,997 posts, read 27,543,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
People always ask... "what is the meaning of life?" "why are we here?"

Like seriously we are just here to live, its simple.... its not like there is a task the human race has to preform to get to another dimension. just go to bed, wake up and go about your day.... just live, doesnt matter if you sleep in a cardboard box, you're still living.
Sure. Might as well even pull whatever you thinking with out of where it is and hang it on a coat hanger. No need to have for this process, called vegetation. Though even plants have more thought involved into their life, than what you described.
Oh, and by the way. Let me quote classic. Office Space.

Lawrence: What would you do if had a million?
Peter: Nothing. I'd have done nothing.
Lawrence: Don't need a million to do that! Look at my cousin. Sits on his ars all day long does chit!!

Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM

7,722 posts, read 12,610,099 times
People make life complicated by their bad choices and words they speak over themselves. Everything in life is a choice. So if you want to be happy and life easy, choose to be happy and say it! And then it will come true! It's really that simple.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:13 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,367,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Everything in life is a choice.
Except the things that are not.

Or do you want to travel to your local hospital for example and tell all the people there that they CHOSE to get ill for example? Or during an economic crisis do you want to go to the Dole Office and tell all the people there that they CHOSE to lose their jobs? Or at the site of a terrorist bomb do you want to tell the innocent victims they CHOSE to get injured? Or tell single broken hearted people that they CHOSE for their partner to leave them?

No, not everything in life is a choice. Far from it. What we DO with the events in our life and how we respond to them however is. Life IS complicated. We do not choose to make it so. It is how we meet that complexity and strife however that defines us. As a person, and as a species.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:51 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,023,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
People make life complicated by their bad choices and words they speak over themselves. Everything in life is a choice. So if you want to be happy and life easy, choose to be happy and say it! And then it will come true! It's really that simple.
It's nowhere near that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy