U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:26 AM

324 posts, read 530,710 times

Advertisements

What was your original name? I can relate. I marred a man with a very common surname and refuse to change my name to his because it would be so common. he irritates him, confuses all doctors offices when it comes to billing me because my name is different than the insurance. Every time someone refers to me with my husbands surname si just cringe!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 12:46 PM

35,070 posts, read 10,353,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
There is NOTHING non dramatic about changing your name. Understand that first! It is a very dramatic lifestyle change but the change should be facilitated by the ones that claim to love you.

What in the world?

Old 10-27-2013, 01:32 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,477,910 times
I don't know if you did this for race reason, but that's the only time I've met someone who changed their name. My parents gave me a "white girl" name, but spelled it differently…

There's a black guy named Tyrone Anthony Williams (not real last name) who wrote "Tyrone A. Williams" on his resume, but didn't get any phone calls back. Then, when he wrote "T. Anthony Williams" on his resume he received phone calls.

Here's a black woman named Yolanda Spivey, who changed her name to Bianca White.Unemployed Black Woman Pretends To Be White, Job Offers Suddenly Skyrocket/

If I had a "black-sounding" name, then I'd probably change it, too.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:51 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,805,719 times
Quote:
I changed my whole name when I was in my early 20s. It cost about 450 dollars and a lot of paperwork but it was one of the most uplifting things I have ever done for myself.

My family still cannot accept that my name is different than what they have me at birth. I compromised with them by saying that they can certainly call me by my birth name but everyone else in society will know me by my new name. Whenever we are in a public place and I introduce myself my family throws a fit screaming "that's not his name!". I have already told my mother she is not allowed around my friends anymore because she talks to them behind my back telling them to call me by my birth name. Tomorrow, I am going to tell them that I will not join them in restaurants or bars any longer. They have had seven years to accept my new name (it has only been legal for 3 years) and that is long enough. They need to get over it or they won't see me.

Society also is usually quite take aback when I say I changed my first and last name. Especially conservative males get scared and a lot of people don't even know it is a constitutional right to do this.

FYI my birth name (first and last) was ANNOYINGLY common. I now have a very unique name that I love and am always getting compliments on.

I may change my name again if I get bored of this one! It is my right to do so! It is your children's right to do so if they want and YOU have to accept it!
How silly to be so preoccupied by a name. And to change your last name, is like divorcing your family. I find it ridiculous. What is important is what kind of person you are, loving, kind, considerate or self-indulgent, self-centered, ruled by ego? This is a waste of effort and time. There is nothing wrong with using a middle name or a nickname, but you are taking this to extreme.
(exceptions are artists, authors and actors or CIA types, I take it you are not in that category)

Old 10-27-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I won't be committing any crime. so much for that lame excuse!

And people with criminal histories have many restrictions placed on changing their name.

I am not being stalked by anyone. If I am, they sure aren't bothering me at the moment.

There could be a billion reasons not to change your name. The bottom line is that it is MY name and I can change it if I want to. Society needs to accept that.
Who are you to demand anything of society? Do what you want, but that doesn't mean we have to accept or embrace what you do to satisy your self-image problem.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
If I wanted to name myself Lorena Bobbit you better respect that and refer to me as such! Sometimes males change their name to female sounding names. We have a right in society to do that and it should be respected.
Did you change more than your name? I'm getting the impression you changed your gender. You'd still keep the same last name, wouldn't you? Anyway, who cares, let your mom n dad call you whatever makes em happy, and get over yourself.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 AM

451 posts, read 624,423 times
I understand your frustration with your family. I think you should sit them down and have a heart-to-heart with them about why the name change is important to you, and explain that it's the name you're rejecting and not them. That being said, my friend's husband goes by two different names depending on the people he's with. He was always called by his middle name growing up, so family and childhood friends always call him by that name. At some point as an adult, he started going by his first name, so his wife (my friend), her family and friends, his co-workers, etc. call him by his first name. Everybody knows that First Name and Middle Name are the same guy. He doesn't seem to think it's any kind of big deal. I think it would be very beneficial for you to take a step back and a deep breath and examine why you allow this to get to you so much.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:43 PM

Maybe he's on America's Most Wanted, the family should just turn him in instead of aiding n abetting this nonsense.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:42 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,127,084 times
My original name has been one of the top five names given to boys since at least the 1970s. I changed it to a name (still a boys name) that is still of English origin but is much less common. I changed my last name to my mothers maiden name (she was not happy about this).

Again, to those who can't read well, people with criminal records can't change their names. I get that joke a lot, but I actually have a pristine criminal record.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:44 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,127,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Maybe he's on America's Most Wanted, the family should just turn him in instead of aiding n abetting this nonsense.
I think it would be pretty funny if one of your children changes their full name. It is their right to do so and you have NO say in the matter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or