U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:41 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,751,817 times

Advertisements

For NATO phonetic alphabet fans

_ _ _ ._ _. = _ _ .. _._ .

From the 'philosophical' perspective what is the goal you are trying to accomplish?

You made me think of how those conversations must go when a star witness in a major case enters witness protection program.

FBI Agent: "Alright 'Matt', what do you want your new name to be? Any preferences? We recommend mid range common frequency names to blend in better."

Craving Mountains: "I insist on being distinguishable!"

FBI Agent: "Well, if you don't want to be a target easily identified, you need to lay low and be an ordinary guy who goes about your daily life without making waves"

Craving Mountains: "I want to use my mothers maiden name as surname"

FBI Agent: "We don't recommend that, as anyone searching for you will likely look under that surname"

Craving Mountains: "I insist on being Alan Snifferhoffer! And Snifferhoffer I will be!"

In the news a month later:
Mysterious Death of FBI Star Witness
Snifferhoffer snuffed by suspected crime boss.

Neighbors say Alan S. Snifferhoffer was a quiet unassuming man who got along well in the neighborhood until the local kids who noticed his name was Alan S. Snifferhoffer started referring to him by his acronym. After a few public outbursts and a restraining order for threatening behavior that was placed on him, apparently the crime boss whom Snifferhoofer snitched on smoked him out and snuffed him out. Family of Snifferhoffer are interested in pressing charges against local teens for bullying and possible contributing to a wrongful death suit. The family is being represented by Dewey, Cheatum and Howe.

If only he would have taken Paul Simon's lyrical advice...

Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 01:18 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,330,992 times
Absolutely nothing wrong with changing your name and your family sounds inconsiderate and embarrassing to not respect your wishes. I changed my last name when I was 19 and from then on, life just got easier and better. I've received compliments on my last name and almost everyone can pronounce it!

Old 11-17-2013, 03:43 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,155,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Well, I was wrong about your gender.

If you call me anything other than what the court rules you to call me it can legally be defined as harassment. You will accept my new name or I can press charges.

Honestly, you sound like a spoiled child. Grow up and stop thinking everyone should play along in your little drama filled life.
Call me spoiled if you want. But you will also call me by my new name. Court ordered!

Old 11-17-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
For NATO phonetic alphabet fans

_ _ _ ._ _. = _ _ .. _._ .

From the 'philosophical' perspective what is the goal you are trying to accomplish?

You made me think of how those conversations must go when a star witness in a major case enters witness protection program.

FBI Agent: "Alright 'Matt', what do you want your new name to be? Any preferences? We recommend mid range common frequency names to blend in better."

Craving Mountains: "I insist on being distinguishable!"

FBI Agent: "Well, if you don't want to be a target easily identified, you need to lay low and be an ordinary guy who goes about your daily life without making waves"

Craving Mountains: "I want to use my mothers maiden name as surname"

FBI Agent: "We don't recommend that, as anyone searching for you will likely look under that surname"

Craving Mountains: "I insist on being Alan Snifferhoffer! And Snifferhoffer I will be!"

In the news a month later:
Mysterious Death of FBI Star Witness
Snifferhoffer snuffed by suspected crime boss.

Neighbors say Alan S. Snifferhoffer was a quiet unassuming man who got along well in the neighborhood until the local kids who noticed his name was Alan S. Snifferhoffer started referring to him by his acronym. After a few public outbursts and a restraining order for threatening behavior that was placed on him, apparently the crime boss whom Snifferhoofer snitched on smoked him out and snuffed him out. Family of Snifferhoffer are interested in pressing charges against local teens for bullying and possible contributing to a wrongful death suit. The family is being represented by Dewey, Cheatum and Howe.

If only he would have taken Paul Simon's lyrical advice...

Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al - YouTube
I like the last name snifferhoffer. Lol

Old 11-19-2013, 03:46 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,438,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post

Ultimately, you HAVE to call people by what they want to be called. We have legal protections like this in place to minimize harassment.
You wouldn't have to demand it of people if they liked you...most people call their friends by their name..only one wouldn't would be someone whose pissed off or doesn't like you, (and any one that doesn't know you would anyways)...and that's the same for us all...whether we changed our names or not.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:37 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,322,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No one has to accept your new name.
Really? Would that logic apply to all people or just those who have changed their name? It would seem to follow that should I not have to accept CravingMountains "new" legal name, why should I have to accept anyone's legal name at all?

Old 11-24-2013, 05:28 PM

540 posts, read 570,532 times
Names can be powerful. I feel it is a sign of respect to call someone how they'd like to be called.

Myself, I have a very common first name and an uncommon last name. I wish it were reversed, hah, it would be easier to hide on the internet that way.

I'm trying to get a novel published, and I know I'd use a pen name if I ever did. I don't like my first name - this might sound strange, but I don't know what I prefer to be called: the full or diminutive version. (It would be a choice that's similar to Kimberly or Kim). As a kid, I always went by Kimberly at school, when first meeting friends, and when I first started at a job, etc., so I was always known as Kimberly. I remember being surprised when I learned my sister went by her diminutive name at school. And yet my family always calls me Kim. I sign greeting cards to family as Kim. But it would be weird to my ears for friends or co-workers to call me Kim. My sister introduces me to her own friends as Kim, and that sounds strange, too. So I feel like I have this crisis: what's my name?

So I've settled on a pen name, that has different first and last names, with a first name I quite like, and I'm considering asking friends and family to start calling me that. But I'm not sure how they'd react.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 AM

30,702 posts, read 33,484,787 times
First, it's not society you have a problem with it's your family. Welcome to reality.
Second, why tell new people you meet you changed your name? IT'S CHANGED! Yet you still want to talk about the old one? Sounds to me like you just want to call attention to yourself for some weird reason and are getting upset when you don't get the reactions you want. Again...reality.

People can call you whatever they want, and you can avoid them if you don't like it.

Lot's of people go by a different names as adults than they did as children. Often it's the shedding of a nickname, shortened name, or something similar. Or a whole new name. People change it when they get married, divorced, etc. It's not a huge deal IMO. Shut up and introduce yourself as whatever you want.

Last edited by Ceece; 11-26-2013 at 12:52 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
First, it's not society you have a problem with it's your family. Welcome to reality.
Second, why tell new people you meet you changed your name? IT'S CHANGED! Yet you still want to talk about the old one? Sounds to me like you just want to call attention to yourself for some weird reason and are getting upset when you don't get the reactions you want. Again...reality.

People can call you whatever they want, and you can avoid them if you don't like it.

Lot's of people go by a different names as adults than they did as children. Often it's the shedding of a nickname, shortened name, or something similar. Or a whole new name. People change it when they get married, divorced, etc. It's not a huge deal IMO. Shut up and introduce yourself as whatever you want.
I NEVER bring up my old name in person. Only my family still knows what my former name was. I am bringing this issue up in conversation to address the stigma associated with men changing their names.

So, tell me Ceece, if your son changed his full legal name, what would you call him by? And don't tell people to shut up. Its rude.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:06 PM

321 posts, read 459,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I NEVER bring up my old name in person. Only my family still knows what my former name was. I am bringing this issue up in conversation to address the stigma associated with men changing their names.
It was good enough for Prince. What's he going by now? I wasn't aware that there was some stigma, and I don't know how I'd know anyone had changed their name. Aside from women doing it for marriage, people have pen names or stage names, but I guess those don't have legal force as identifiers? Not sure about that.

As for harassment, Harassment Law & Legal Definition may help you decide if you have a case against anyone in particular. It is one thing to think you can press charges, it is quite another to succeed at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or