Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
To which I respond "so what". Society can simply ignore you.
That is fine. You don't have to talk to me. Hopefully we don't have to work together though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 02:44 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Then we would NOT get along and I have a very bitchy temper! I don't mind telling someone off when they are in the wrong.

And for all those who think this can't be brought to a legal issue you are WRONG! It would fall under the same clauses that calling someone a curse word would, or a racial slur, or a derogatory name for any other groups of people.

Ultimately, you HAVE to call people by what they want to be called. We have legal protections like this in place to minimize harassment.
Again, please show me the "clause" that states this. I believe we have free speech in this country, and I am FREE to call you whatever I want.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:52 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Again, please show me the "clause" that states this. I believe we have free speech in this country, and I am FREE to call you whatever I want.
I have a court order. I will gladly show you if we cross someday and you refuse to call me by my legal name. You will never know that I changed my name from something else though!

Old 11-10-2013, 08:40 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
FYI my birth name (first and last) was ANNOYINGLY common. I now have a very unique name that I love and am always getting compliments on.
What was your first name? I'm actually debating introducing myself as my second name. "Mike" is like the "Mohamed" of america. It's so common that it's actually like being nameless. At work it's degrading, I'm just one of the Mikes and when I introduce myself I have to use my last name.

I also know a person named "Er" (like how a cartoon dog would make a question sound). This kids life was clearly destroyed by his name (good person and friend but in and out of jail, drugs, fights, against the system, the system against him).

Old 11-10-2013, 10:18 AM

334 posts, read 716,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
What was your first name? I'm actually debating introducing myself as my second name. "Mike" is like the "Mohamed" of america.
I did that and it worked out well. It sets you above the crowd a bit. Sometimes that's good and sometimes it isn't. In business you can sign your paperwork M. (middle name) (last name).

Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 AM

334 posts, read 716,501 times
Quote:
I have a court order. I will gladly show you if we cross someday and you refuse to call me by my legal name. You will never know that I changed my name from something else though!
OP, ask your mother how many times you were dropped on your head as an infant. There has to be an explanation for you somewhere.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:05 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Your mother gave birth to you. She named you. That was a VERY special day for her - and then you turned your back on her just so you could have a "unique" name.
I'm Sorry - you sound like a jerk.
If you get a name that you are teased for all your life, like Latrina Goldfarb or Otis Criblicobis, then your mother's Special Day was clueless, self-absorbed, or both, and her attachment to misplaced family pride is overdue for breakage.

If you simply are John Smith and think it's blah, and change it for that reason, then you are treating your name as if it were furniture or maybe a personal accessory that doesn't match your imagined decor, and then I would say the wisdom of changing it over against how it will impact others and even yourself, is kinda questionable. Even there, though, you're making an unwarranted snap judgment about the OP. In and of itself, Mom is, in my view, over-reacting. She should want her son to be happy and not view him as a narcissistic extension of herself. All she's doing by pitching snits and being rude is driving him away. She strikes me as one of those parents with a warped idea of what "respect" actually is.

We are only getting one side of the story, of course, but if the family reaction is being accurately depicted, this is bigger than his name change -- that just seems big because of the symbolism involved in between people's ears. It could be for example that the OP's family dynamic is highly conformist and this is the OP's clumsy way of asserting healthy distance from that. It may not be the best battle to pick or the best way to go about it but it still needs to be done.

It is not that widely known that changing your name is a personal right and not as difficult or expensive as you'd think so long as you aren't a felon. More people ought to do it, IMO. How many people do you know who have personal names that you'd cringe if it belonged to you? How many young parents give their kids names that are a cutesy play on the family name or unintentionally hilarious names, like Crystal Ball, Sandy Beaches, Candy Kane, Harry Balls, etc. These names are guaranteed to make people spit out their coffee even as adults, imagine what it does in middle school for the poor kid. I would get tired of the raised eyebrows.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times
I know a guy that changed his name to...Bob Dirty Moccasin. It was on his drivers license.
I called him Bob. I think I'll call you Fred. That's it. For now, to me, you are Fred. I enjoyed your thread, Fred. Hey, that rhymes!!!
When you disclose your new name I will call you by that new name.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:24 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Wrong. Court ordered. If a court orders you to stay away from someone for instance, you most certainly do need to stay away from whomever filed the restraining order. A court ordered my new name. People need to refer to me by my new name.
Here's the problem Fred....

We weren't in that court...

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not in it's jurisdiction!!!!!

Nice try Fred, but your "legal opinion" is a FAIL!

Old 11-11-2013, 11:43 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Quote:
My original name has been one of the top five names given to boys since at least the 1970s. I changed it to a name (still a boys name) that is still of English origin but is much less common. I changed my last name to my mothers maiden name (she was not happy about this).

Again, to those who can't read well, people with criminal records can't change their names. I get that joke a lot, but I actually have a pristine criminal record.
Well, I was wrong about your gender.

If you call me anything other than what the court rules you to call me it can legally be defined as harassment. You will accept my new name or I can press charges.

Honestly, you sound like a spoiled child. Grow up and stop thinking everyone should play along in your little drama filled life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy