U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:33 AM

324 posts, read 537,576 times

Advertisements

"...15 to 18 percent of girls under 12 now wear mascara, eyeliner and lipstick regularly; eating disorders are up and self-esteem is down; and 25 percent of young American women would rather win America's Next Top Model than the Nobel Peace Prize."

After reading many posts in this forum, I think it's clear to see how society is pushing girls to be so self conscious and insecure, ingrained at a young age.

Lisa Bloom: How to Talk to Little Girls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 12:55 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,843,967 times
Unfortunately this is not new. When my now 30 year old daughter was this age I was worried about her and her friends. And now I have 2 eleven year old daughters. But I have to say the eldest still doesn't wear any makeup or jewelry- that's just her personality. She did have a slight hickup in middle school when she wished she had a boyfriend when her peers did but she got over that pretty quickly and wasn't serious about anybody till she was in college. The 11 year olds are not inclined to wear makeup anytime soon either. They are now playing with nail polish but won't wear it to school for some reason. That's fine.

I think as parents we aren't aware of how dangerous it is for our young daughters who are so influenced by media. We have no glamour magazines around the house, we don't tell them they need to look a certain way-just clean and neat- and most of all our own standards are pretty high with most strong emphasis on academics and family life. Plus, while they were given Barbies as gifts, I never bought them one and we always tried to go for non gender specific toys for all our kids.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:57 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,978,173 times
Very intersting article. Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-30-2013, 03:06 PM

11,175 posts, read 20,527,955 times
It's an interesting article. Unfortunately, just because someone writes a book saying that there is too much emphasis on appearance doesn't mean the world is going to quit treating pretty people better. So I let my daughters play with makeup. I let them wear it sometimes. If one of them thinks highlights will change her life, we get highlights. I make sure they have pretty clothes and look their best. Being pretty is a skill.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:10 PM

18,379 posts, read 23,571,093 times
i think adults dont help and i see women do this more than men,,,tell little girls how pretty and cute they are, how they look like a little princess
so,,,by the time they are 5, most of their compliments are on their looks.....

adults mean well, and all,,,but i think it gets into a kids head,,,,,then they seek approval on looks on an early age..

so, the next time you are in the midst of little girl(s) and adults are throwing out the how cutes/how pretty they are,,,think about it,,,
or
do the adults, brag about them because they are good talkers, can spell words, etc...

Old 11-30-2013, 03:50 PM

637 posts, read 646,389 times
I complain about this all of the time.

Girls and women are complimented on their physical attributes by EVERYONE around them. They are told that they should look good while males are almost never told this.

If you have daughters/grand-daughters/nieces/little sisters/cousins please do not focus on complimenting them on their looks. Think about how often you tell little boys that they are handsome and think about how often you say that to little girls.

Also, the media reinforces this.

I was so disappointed to watch an old interview with Danica McKellar yesterday. She has written all these great books about math for girls and I was planning to introduce the books to one of my young relatives. Then, I googled her and was treated to some photos of her in skimpy lingerie!!!

Even women who are educated and successful in other fields still feel compelled to promote themselves as nothing but sex objects. From Rachel Ray, Gabrielle Reece, even Kate Middleton!!! I know what all of these women look like in their underthings.

I think that we should focus on treating our daughters exactly the same way as our sons. They will be held to higher standards in education and success. We also have to present ourselves without gender bias. If you are from a traditional family (stay-at-home mom for example), you may find this hard to do. But, you don't have to believe that everything should be gender-free if that is not your opinion. Try to simply discard the concept that a girl is nothing but her appearance and focus less on how girls look.

Maybe the emphasis of the article was on the AGE of the girls. In that case, I am rambling on for nothing. I think that as much delay as possible is probably he best way to go.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:11 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,640,612 times
Women know despite how smart or successful they are, a man will marry the best looking woman he can afford and tight butts get rich husbands.

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 04:27 PM

18,379 posts, read 23,571,093 times
mens fault????

woman buy most of those magazines,, (cept for s.i.)

it isnt my fault,,i dont like a greyhound looking woman,,,i like a little marbling-looks healthier

Old 11-30-2013, 04:32 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,640,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
mens fault????

woman buy most of those magazines,, (cept for s.i.)

it isnt my fault,,i dont like a greyhound looking woman,,,i like a little marbling-looks healthier
It was meant to be sarcastic. I edited that out.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 PM

20,675 posts, read 8,844,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's an interesting article. Unfortunately, just because someone writes a book saying that there is too much emphasis on appearance doesn't mean the world is going to quit treating pretty people better. So I let my daughters play with makeup. I let them wear it sometimes. If one of them thinks highlights will change her life, we get highlights. I make sure they have pretty clothes and look their best. Being pretty is a skill.
How old are your daughters? Sorry, but getting highlights will not change anyone's life and as a parent we should not encourage this behavior. And being pretty is not a skill. We should be teaching them self esteem on the attributes that they have. Hair color, nails, pretty clothes and whatever are just material things and will only hurt them later on in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy