Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:09 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

What are the most important things in life?

Each of us travels down a different path in life, and from our individual experiences we can look back and make some conclusions about the things that have been meaningful in our lives. What is important to you may not be on someone else's list. Write down one or a few of the things that have been most important in your life, and let's see where this goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 03:00 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Vacations as a child.

My interests in history, art, food, music, sports, business, and even politics can be traced to those vacations. Museums all over the country, Hall Of Fames, famous buildings, battlefields, industrial tours, hotels, and fine restaurants.

I have been in many arguments with people about the types of vacations they take their kids on. Too many go where they want to go and just drag the kids along. I am glad my parents weren't like that. Nothing about camping or the beach is going to help guide your children to develop an interest that can lead to a career, cultural literacy, or just being able to have a normal conversation. Staying in a tent or camper is not the learning experience of a fine hotel. I am glad I was taken to Expo 67 and not expected to lay on a beach and stay out of my parents way.

After the children in my family were grown my parents went to the places they wanted to see. We weren't invited along to Fiji, Dubrovnik, Monte Carlo, etc.

Even today my trips are more along the line of the trips of my youth. Much of my time is spent on Lifelong Learning classes and discussion groups. I know that interest is a carry over from those vacations.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:31 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Understanding, what I truly am. This takes care of everything else.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:03 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
A most remarkable thing in my life has been all the help that I have received from others along the way.

Reminder to self: Try to help someone out today.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
first socks, then shoes

Old 12-17-2013, 11:01 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
What are the most important things in life?

Each of us travels down a different path in life, and from our individual experiences we can look back and make some conclusions about the things that have been meaningful in our lives. What is important to you may not be on someone else's list. Write down one or a few of the things that have been most important in your life, and let's see where this goes.
My answer about now, at almost seventy-six, would be something that is a mixture of appreciation/balance/ contentment.

In my late forties and fifties volunteering with seriously/terminally ill people and writing were my most important activities.
I was also became interested in Brazilian music and literature.
I became interested in Buddhism, was a member of a center for a couple of years, then of a small informal group that met with a Burmese monk.
And I emigrated from the U.S.

My thirties and forties were heavily about socializing, dance clubs, drugs and sex.
The other side of me enrolled in courses that would be of interest to no one I knew, visiting museum shows, enrolling in courses at the Jung Institute, the Gaelic Society, etc.... discovering classical music, and always reading...usually old literature that I had missed, off-beat stuff I heard about, history, mythology, religion, psychology, etc.

In my twenties was desperately interested in being liked, being popular and having the best time possible (though I was never sure whether I had come close or not.)
I was a voracious reader of all those books that everyone else seemed to have read long ago, and I had not, and of anything off-beat that I had not heard of but sounded interesting.
In addition to the black popular music I was already interested in, I became interested in what is now called "world music."
Having moved from a small town to NYC, I was fascinated by all the different types of people you could meet, and as a result started meeting people of many different ages, races, backgrounds.

Interests that began in early childhood and developed during adolescence were reading, music (though I have no musical ability) and curiosity about people who were different from those type of people I usually knew...or were approved of by my parents.

My parents were both very uninterested in ideas of any sort, their opinions already encompassed anything they would need to know about life; and they were mocking, fearful, intimidated and essentially hostile to anything that was beyond the range of their experience or that conflicted with their opinions....as their disposition toward life (or perhaps better, against life) became obvious to me even while in grade school. And I realized about my parents too that they were unhappy people, I think they had the effect of sending me in the opposite direction...and for life.

From adolescence until my forties my life always had two distinct sides. One was devoted essentially to sensation, feelings, emotion; the other was quiet, bookish, very curious always involved in obscure personal projects and inclined to connect with unusual people in casual on-going acquaintanceships, which were entirely separate from my usual social life and friends...nothing on this side of my life seemed to be dependent upon or necessarily well connected with the other part. However, I never felt this two-sidedness as a problem.

It is tempting to see these passing decades as evolutionary in a prosaic way, but my life involved really major dislocations, which I think kicked any "evolution" in the ass very hard numerous times.

Volunteering in close contact with terminally ill people - along with aging - certainly abraded the sensation-oriented side of me, as well as turning that energy in the direction of hard work. That other - what was more private side, probably finally took over, though with emigrating from the U.S. just after age sixty it has tended to assume an aspect of quietly re-examining much of the intellectual territory covered over the previous decades...and enjoying how different much of it looks from this vantage point.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:42 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
To me the most important thing in life is to live everyday to the fullest. To "leave it all out on the field," so to speak. Everyday I do something either mental, physical, spiritual, or emotional that stretches me and makes me a better and stronger person. If you're not getting better you're dying. Inactivity is death. Live everyday like you don't have another one left.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:53 AM

110 posts, read 97,478 times
At least one of the important things in my life is to marry a pretty woman and have kids with her.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:31 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
The purpose of life is to live it. How you choose to live it is up to you.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:49 PM

321 posts, read 532,100 times
To find a purpose, some project or enterprise or goal, some reason for existing and mark to make upon the world with it, is at the top of my list. I'm still trying to do it, at extreme cost in "conventional" economic terms, and I won't give up until I'm dead. I see little other reason for me to be alive, it's what my life is "for".

After that, sharing the experience of life with family and friends is most important. My best friend is my dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy