Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

I dont really think the younger ones care about other age groups.. theyre too busy having fun, but the older ones get grumpy.. Im talking from experience hahaha.. I hate kids screaming while playing out in the street near where I live, I just want peace but I was one of those screaming laughing kids at one time and thought anyone who moaned were grumps...... now I know ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I'm still trying to figure out what is the age cutoff for the term kid in the USA. I'm not going to complain about the younger generation. I'm just going to give an observation since I see so many of them. I am in my mid 60's.

I see so many in their 20's that seem very immature, especially when it comes to life's experience's thru one's 20's into their 30's. Such as being out on their own, or having to work more than one job to make it. If one job isn't enough. I live in Massachusetts a very high cost state. I gather that is part of the reason many still live at home. Many that seem to live at home way to long, and it shows in their behavior in public places. Someone is obviously picking up after them at home, and these young people have not learned how to act in public. They just don't seem to have the manners, or the push in their lives to get moving to change things. I would expect one to have developed more of a take charge attitude by those ages. I don't know how to relate to them. It's not all of them it's just so many.

The past few years I have strongly developed a feeling, that things must change or the future will always be bleak. I think it would be in the countries best interest if all people between ages 18-25 had some requirements on them. A requirement to either complete 2 years of public service or 2 years of military service. They could complete the 2 years during any period of those ages. A small salary would be paid as well as their housing for that time period. A larger amount of funds would be paid into an acct, for the use of education or training of their choice upon completion. Or the money would go to them at completion. Hopefully put to good use. I think that is part of the problems in this country now days. Many of us were forced into the military in our lives, and today that is not the case. I can't say that's been an altogether great thing, but I think it helped with direction at a young age. That is why I suggested Public Service also, and not just the military. The military is not for everyone. Something just seems to be really missing today. . Just walking around staring at an Iphone and texting nonstop in public places, is a brain drain like I have not seen in this country before. There has to be some drive or push to change things.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I think each generation has its own charms and challenges. There's a certain beauty in the way we all evolve. I was once young, blunt, idealistic, naive, too trusting, energetic, goal oriented, focused, and believed I'd go out and make the world a better place via my career choice and life choices. In many ways I'm still like that girl and I've accomplished those goals, but I've become a bit wiser, gentler, and less trusting due to my life experiences. Diversity is a good thing and brings a richness to one's life. I try to be empathetic and truly work on understanding others and their life's journey. For me accepting, respecting, and appreciating people is important no matter what their age, race, religion, socio-economic background, etc. I think the people who complain all the time about the younger generation are lacking in empathy and have not really gotten to know today's youth - they are different than we were in some ways, but in others they are way ahead of where we were at their age.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:38 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I think each generation has its own charms and challenges. There's a certain beauty in the way we all evolve. I was once young, blunt, idealistic, naive, too trusting, energetic, goal oriented, focused, and believed I'd go out and make the world a better place via my career choice and life choices. In many ways I'm still like that girl and I've accomplished those goals, but I've become a bit wiser, gentler, and less trusting due to my life experiences. Diversity is a good thing and brings a richness to one's life. I try to be empathetic and truly work on understanding others and their life's journey. For me accepting, respecting, and appreciating people is important no matter what their age, race, religion, socio-economic background, etc. I think the people who complain all the time about the younger generation are lacking in empathy and have not really gotten to know today's youth - they are different than we were in some ways, but in others they are way ahead of where we were at their age.
This is true. But I think you make a crucial point. I think the younger generation (And by that, I mean ALL younger generations) come on the scene aware of the shortcomings of the older generation and want to sweep away the old in favor of what's new and idealistic, unaware of how their own thinking can be very flawed. To me, the 1960s were very much a case of that.

Change, however instant we want it to be, takes place incrementally. Each generation is like a layer on a coral reef, building a better world little by little.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
I am 60 one thing I see, where I am different to many -it seems the older gen is scared, frightened or thinking the bottom is going fall out- and everything bothers them,,,and they are all on drugs, legal ones- that change their moods. I wish I was 20 like they say- no-- but I'm like no I'll be 60 n give any 20 yr old a run for ther money. The youth does not threaten me, I am not jealous of them- or bothered by them... I love the new, and have no wish to remain in the past. I hate over 55+ communities, too many sour-pusses and really do NOT find anything in common with my peers, I really do not like them - find them too conservative, to judgemental and self absorbed with their things and money. can't take it with you bud!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:01 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Serious answers please. I realize this is hardly a matter of great philosophical importance, but I'm just curious and it's a counter to the threads such as this one:

Why are younger generations so self-entitled?
All I can say is when I was 17 the adults thought me and my friends when lame and weird, now I'm 37 and I think the same thing now about todays 17 year olds...and I hate the way they communicate it's almost alien and their electronic weird neon music sucks

Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
"Never trust anyone over 30"

That is of course til you reach 30 and it becomes...

"Never trust anyone under 30"

Old 03-04-2019, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 596 times
I am a Gen z..... I think the only reason the older generation says so many things is because us, as the new generation, have had a better chance at life and have more opportunities for careers. unfortunately, the older generation is stuck in the past and think that the new careers (youtube, music, etc.) are only dead-end jobs and want to force us to do what they want as a career. My dad keeps trying to push me to do electrician work as he does, but I want to go into music. I haven't told my parents that I want to do music because I always overhear them talk so much stuff on the music of the new generation and how they would never let us go into that. I tend to get depressed about it since I'm turning 18 soon and I feel like I'm going to end up giving in to my parents and just do the career they want me to do. I'm pretty just giving my experience instead of facts but I needed to vent.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:58 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
If you're serious about music, than show your parents you're serious about music. Go to college and get a music major. When parents see that their child is creating a PATH to what they want to do for the rest of their lives, they tend to rest a little easier.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want to go into music...that's a pretty broad field. Do you want to MAKE music? Do you want to market music? What's your specific interest?

Old 04-25-2019, 03:36 AM

270 posts, read 110,093 times
Older people raised younger people, so their real gripe should be with their own failure to raise decent human beings. Anything else is hypocrisy or griping for the sake of griping. And older people love to complain about almost everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy