Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:35 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times

Advertisements

Serious answers please. I realize this is hardly a matter of great philosophical importance, but I'm just curious and it's a counter to the threads such as this one:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/philo...-entitled.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Some people simply must complain about "them". It might be the opposite sex, another race or religion. Or it might be another age group. We see someone doing something we don't like and throw them into some group so we can complain about the whole group.

I see the same thing from younger posters, except they complain about older people, especially the baby boomers.

Let's face it, there's plenty to be upset about with every generation, but there's also plenty to be pleased with.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:54 PM

21 posts, read 24,769 times
Always looking at screens. Technology is tearing us apart. Good for health care, bad for social life.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:41 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Serious answers please. I realize this is hardly a matter of great philosophical importance, but I'm just curious and it's a counter to the threads such as this one:...
[I am just shy of seventy-six, by the way.] I am inclined to feel that while the complaints are pointed toward a group of human beings, i.e. "younger generation," that in fact the complaints are aimed at something else, and the "younger generation" is only emblematic of it.

Younger people as a group epitomize the accumulated social, political and technological changes of decades. And I feel that it is this new way of life that the younger generation lives that is the target. The lifestyle they are living will in a decade or a little more be the dominant everyday lifestyle and values of the entire culture. No ifs, ands or buts. And it is ahistorical, anomic and one in which the accepted meaning of life is the pursuit of distraction.

This essentially throws many things that are significant to older generations, and which have made their lives meaningful, into the rubbish. That is intimidating to the max, and it can provoke a barrage of futile anger.

The social and economic changes are a juggernaut - though one which we older people do quietly cherry-pick benefits from, nevertheless - these changes are implacable and totally beyond the control of all individuals, and beyond the control of any of the combinations individuals may group themselves into - protest movements, political parties, churches, etc. etc. etc. They are indomitable, and they have already won.

By focusing fear, expressed as negative criticism, onto those people who are already - in the present - completely living the older person's concept of a dystopian future, it allows us to create the illusion that the situation is simply a matter of a "bad" bunch of people out there doing "bad" things. It allows older generations the comforting fiction that what is being denounced is abnormal social behaviour, rather than accept (capitulate to) the fact that it is actually a matter of massive social changes which are a done deed, of which these "bad people," i.e. - the younger generation, are simply the joyful, unquestioning inheritors and consumers.

The fictional character Auntie Mame said, "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death." For many older people too large a part of that banquet now consists of disturbingly grotesque looking and downright puke-inducing dishes, with most of the old favorites missing, and they are really pissed off at the people they see chowing down on it with gusto.

Sic transit gloria Betty Crocker, or something like that.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:29 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Some people simply must complain about "them". It might be the opposite sex, another race or religion. Or it might be another age group. We see someone doing something we don't like and throw them into some group so we can complain about the whole group.

I see the same thing from younger posters, except they complain about older people, especially the baby boomers.

Let's face it, there's plenty to be upset about with every generation, but there's also plenty to be pleased with.
Actually no. I created this thread because of the dozen or so posts I've encountered on this forum bashing Gen Y, accusing us of being entitled etc. So perhaps it's time to switch the debate around and figure out why many older people feel this way. I am just trying to understand, not insult.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Every generation naturally sees the next generation in a worse light. It's just how life works.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:14 AM

106 posts, read 107,682 times
envy.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Hey, it took a long time for us to get to be the older generation. We served our time as the younger generation getting gripped at by the older generation.

We need to vent now and it is the youngsters turn to be in the box.

Don't worry in 50 years you will be the old fogies gripping at the younger generation.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
They have too much time on their hands.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
that is true there is that tendency kids will be kids boys will be boys. but in my youth we did not gang rape the teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy