U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:13 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,546,557 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been wondering if life is truly planned or if it's all just a series of random events? It seems one person can work hard and get nothing while the next guy can do the minimum and get lucky and reap huge rewards.

I'm not giving up on hope I'm just wondering if perhaps I'm being way too naive thinking that there is a plan for everyone and there is such a thing as fate or destiny?

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 01:39 PM

15,411 posts, read 12,148,879 times
What do I think?

I think too much to say here. There are wiser, more eloquent writers than I, also.
Whatever I say will have an equal amount of agreements and opposite views so
my feeling is ... why bother.
I hope you find your answers though.They are all inside...I can say that.

Look up the Star of Bethlehem youtube 1:09 hrs long...then come back and tell
us what you think.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:46 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,868,510 times
Why do you need to think that someone/thing is pulling all the strings in order to have hope? Are you hoping for a deus ex machina to save you from your own poor choices and missteps? It's ludicrous to think that all of us homo sapiens have a snowflake-unique Plan for Our Lives, written for us (secretly, of course, it'd be cheating to come out and tell us) by God (TM, all rights reserved by Religion, Inc.).

Google Monty Python's "Galaxy Song" video, especially the last quatrain...

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:45 PM

15,411 posts, read 12,148,879 times
Radio...99,
I probably should have said...remember nothing is what it seems...

The rich guy, the poor guy...we have no idea what is really going on.
The Down's Syndrome baby, the blind baby...we know nothing.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 PM

Cyrano, are you British or are you one of those insufferable Americans that uses British slang and likes to adopt that Christopher Hitchens attitude about questions concerning a higher power? Its one tying to not believe in god its another to think you've written some intelligent diatribe which sway someone to your side.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:45 PM

10,542 posts, read 15,618,858 times
Hey, radio freedom, ease up. ^^^^^ You posted a Q, be prepared to take some heat, or abandon your own thread.

You are suffering from a condition most humans do. Seeing only one life at a time and only a short historical period. As a result, you see only NOW and do not see BEFORE, NOW, and FUTURE. As a result, you can not see ENTIRE destiny of a particular human, so how is there to judge, what one experiences in a particular existence? Also, do not forget another principle. What appears to be easily attained blessing, may be well hidden punishment in disguise, and visa versa. Only superior power may have understanding of this in manner true, but that power does not judge or weigh, the way humans do.
It is like looking at a stream of water and saying - this drop is this, and the other is that. But they are only stream. Can you see the stream, OP?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM

Wow, that was pretty darn good. I never looked at it like that.

Another thing I'm wondering about is that this society rewards less hard work and more ambitious cut throating. I don't know if this is a simply a product of human nature or a systemic issue.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:32 PM

6,436 posts, read 9,963,145 times
The age old saying "Life is what you make of it" stands the test of time because it's true. You create your life by what you say and think. If you think and speak negative things, you're going to have a negative life. But if you think and speak positive and good things around yourself, that's what your life will consist of. The power of life and death is in the tongue.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:57 PM

I can somewhat agree but how does that work for people stuck in abysmal poverty in India? Are they stuck there because they lack the right thought pattern?

Old 01-22-2014, 04:06 PM

12,708 posts, read 14,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
...I'm not giving up on hope I'm just wondering if perhaps I'm being way too naive thinking that there is a plan for everyone and there is such a thing as fate or destiny?

What do you guys think?
A plan for everyone?...why would the "maker of planned lives" need to do this. Just the amusement, play, sport of spinning out millions of planned lives? This sounds like the most rigid of Hindu speculation.

If our lives were fated, destined to follow a particular plan, we would be robots then...born dead as mechanical toys, wound-up and jerking around till we totter over and stop jerking. I do not think we are that.

My thought is that we are born with our own physiological inheritance, and are largely the objects of other people's will for our earliest years, and only gradually begin to make more decisions of our own. The extent to which these decisions become increasingly based on our experiences, rather than what has been imprinted on us, seems unknowable. How free can our free will become? Our decisions are made in an environment, not a vacuum, and there are forces in anyone's environment that may thwart one's decisions and cancel one's plans, or which may give them a boost entirely beyond our own efforts.

Last edited by kevxu; 01-22-2014 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or