Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:54 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,891 times

Advertisements

I never shop off a registry. I always put together a big gift bag of practical necessities. Diapers, spit cloths, larger sized bibs, and a couple of onesies that are a little bigger than newborn size so as the kiddo grows the parents have something to put them in.

As far as what people choose to put on a registry - I commend people that put things on there that are practical vs. someone like my cousin - she put a $300 Coach diaper bag on hers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 02:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oooooohh.... Someone sent me a rep to tell me hanging diplomas on the wall is tacky. It's much worse! There are family photos in our living room and a gnome or two in the garden.
Pride in education is now tacky? M'kay! Figures.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:03 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
I never shop off a registry. I always put together a big gift bag of practical necessities. Diapers, spit cloths, larger sized bibs, and a couple of onesies that are a little bigger than newborn size so as the kiddo grows the parents have something to put them in.

As far as what people choose to put on a registry - I commend people that put things on there that are practical vs. someone like my cousin - she put a $300 Coach diaper bag on hers!
Sounds like we share a cousin. When someone else is paying, it can never be too expensive.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
Sounds like we share a cousin. When someone else is paying, it can never be too expensive.
Or too "tacky" apparently...

So please, enlighten us with your approved list of "appropriate" baby shower gifts.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No...that's apparently annoying as well. I think the OP simply doesn't want to purchase baby shower gifts. Consumable necessities are "tacky" to ask for and apparently imply you can't afford to have children, and asking for larger items they might not easily afford themselves is also wrong. She'd be better off simply declining the invitations.

Frankly, there are only so many picture frames with blocks spelling out "BABY", or "Baby's First Christmas" ornaments and other tchotchkis one needs or wants.
I mean to say, why should you pick a 500 dollar item when someone else is paying when the 300 dollar one you like as much when you're paying? For any registry. That's tacky.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I understand what you are saying. I go a step further and feel all registries are bad etiquette regardless of what's listed. Since when did it become socially acceptable to tell people 1) we want gifts; 2) which gifts to give; and 3) where to buy the gifts? Since a department store started one for picking china patterns in the early 1900s. Capitalism eroded etiquette and everyone was glad to jump on the gravy train to get what they wanted.
Miss Manners agrees with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetravelingblondes View Post
Friends threw me a huge baby shower and I received a ton of things for my first born child. I'll be honest--I returned half of it to Target (lots of stuffed animals that the dog was drooling over) and used the store credit for diapers and wipes and such. I'd intended to go with cloth, but she was tiny when she was born so the first day of her life I had to run out to the store, get newborn clothes and little diapers. It would have been more handy to have those on hand than it would all the big-sized clothes that ended up fitting her in the wrong season anyway. Gorgeous sundress. Never got to wear it--she shot through that size during winter.

I did not register for diapers, but that was because I did not intend to use 'sposies. If I had intended to use them, I would have filled the damned registry with nothing but diapers. They were my biggest PITA, especially when the kid would grow just after a big stock-up at Costco. And they add up!

These days I only give gift cards and a special little handmade something. Half the time what new parents think they'll need is so far off-base from what they really will. Certainly, the lists provided by babiesrus are ridiculous....starting with the stupid Diaper Genie. After the car seat and a couple of light blankets it all changes depending on what the family is going to be doing.

And let's be honest. Even the most prepared new parent will get some sticker-shock for what a kid can cost. Really-we're looking at a 2k/mo. difference in budget once that wee babe comes along. Why not give the new parents a bit of relief? It's the whole point of a baby shower anyway--

The point: Diapers on a registry is not tacky. It's genius.
I love that idea (in bold). I like to give handmade items as well. I've gotten into making those nursing covers (for breastfeeding mothers). I like the idea of a gift card to go along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oooooohh.... Someone sent me a rep to tell me hanging diplomas on the wall is tacky. It's much worse! There are family photos in our living room and a gnome or two in the garden.
LOL! We don't have diplomas on the wall, but we do have family pictures in the living room, and we had two light-up angels in the yard at Christmas.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Or too "tacky" apparently...

So please, enlighten us with your approved list of "appropriate" baby shower gifts.
Things that within a decent price range that are non disposable. Nothing gross like nursing bras or pads.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:26 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
Actually, we had expensive things on our registry, as we used it as a list of stuff we need/wanted for our baby. We had a glider chair on our registry, but we didn't really expect anyone to buy it...but my in-laws did. They were going to spend that much anyway, so they got us something we wanted.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:30 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Miss Manners agrees with you.
Me too. But you are kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. I did not want to register for our wedding a million years ago. My family was Not Happy.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
The thing about registries is - they are often helpful to the giver. In these days of mobility, families and friends often do not know what a person has or what they need. I'd MUCH rather take the time to select something I know the couple or parent or family really need or want. Not everyone has the talent or time to "make a little handmade something". If you don't care for registries, you are certainly not obligated to view one and select from those things. If you can make something - go for it! Or, if you are close enough to the family to know personal information, a US Savings Bond. There are a plethora of gifts in varying price ranges. People putting larger things on the registry is not an indication they expect only large gifts. Often times, people join together to purchase a larger necessity (like a stroller or crib or what have you).

OP, if you've been to as many showers as you indicate by your exasperation, you certainly can figure out what types of things to give without the apparent trauma of reviewing the registry. When in doubt, give a couple of classic board books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy